A Petrified Log Literally Worth Its Weight In Gold

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a rather interesting petrified log I encountered a number of years ago--a chunk of fossil wood surrounded by gold.

Here's the explanation: The petrified log is eroding from an unexploited section of world-famous gold-bearing Auriferous Gravel (lower-middle Eocene in geologic age--some 48 million years old) at a long-abandoned hydraulic mine in the western foothills of California's Sierra Nevada. It's probably from an extinct variety of Eocene sycamore, whose exquisitely preserved leaves--along with approximately 70 other species of plants identified from leaves and seeds--are frequently encountered in so-called lacustrine (lake-originated) "chocolate shales" interbedded with the dominantly fluviatile (river and stream) gold-rich gravels deposited by the Tertiary Yuba River roughly 50 to 40 million years ago.

Probably the old-time gold seekers never got around to blasting away this particular area, when in 1884 Judge Lorenzo Sawyer issued his "Sawyer Decision" which effectively abolished hydraulic mining in northern California's Gold Country.

That geology rock hammer is, of course, around a foot in length for scale.

petrifiedwood.jpg

My page: Paleobotanical Field Trip To The Sailor Flat Hydraulic Gold Mine, California

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like somebody has been to college

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Inyo, I salute you. A life well lived. I also thank you for doing the important work.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! It's my understanding that in hydraulic mining, up to 50% of the gold miners tried to get, was lost because of the in-efficiency of this method.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread