Some fossils from a previous dive

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Well, since I cannot dive at the moment, I thought I would share some photos of some previous dives. As you can see there are native American items, fossils, and petrified wood.
These photos are from dives in South Carolina.
If you have any questions, please ask. Enjoy
FullSizeRender 51.jpg FullSizeRender 17.jpg FullSizeRender 44.jpg IMG_2581.JPG IMG_1295.JPG FullSizeRender 16.jpg IMG_0474.JPG

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I am Impressed! Are you diving in clear water?

I wish Steve! But no, it is black water...with alligators and snakes. I wear a modified wake board helmet/dive light helmet.
I have a few of them but this year I have a new setup and one where no other guy will try and take my helmet lol it is pink...I said it! And I'm secure with my sexuality to wear it too! Lol
If my fiancé was still alive she would've loved this new setup. So in her honor I will dive with it.
IMG_3353.JPG IMG_3352.JPG IMG_3441.JPG FullSizeRender 12.jpg

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah great work n massive Megalodon teeth!! Looks like you are using a Hookah rig? Is it gas powered or electric? Home made?

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate all your great finds. Thanks for shareing.

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Woah great work n masgsive Megalodon teeth!! Looks like you are using a Hookah rig? Is it gas powered or electric? Home made?
I'm a certified diver and use tanks in the ocean but when it comes to river dives I prefer a hookah line. Even if I'm drift diving the rivers to find gravel beds I like a hookah.

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Awesome work. How deep were you diving and in Rivers?

It depends on the river but most times 25' or less. let me tell you this....it didn't matter if I was 10', 15' 20' or more as it is all pitch black and when something "bumps" you and you cannot see what it is, it can be for some, nerve racking but for me, it is relaxing. I know, I know.....I'm weird like that and that is why I have a ton of life insurance on me because I do crazy stuff.

One of my more shallow dives I cursed myself for not having my go pro with me as I was only 8' at high noon, I couldn't believe that I could see two feet in front of me and then it happened......I seen something out of the corner of my eye and when I looked I seen the BIGGEST damn water snake ever.....it was staring at my hand which I slowly made into a fist and thought "Ok buddy, if you bite, you have to take the whole thing and I have one dive spike, two knives, and surgical scissors and I will kill you!" lucky for me and him he decided I was no longer interesting and swam away.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen the fossils come out black down in florida, but not red, know anything about that, or is it just iron staining?

OP
OP
AeroMike

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
I've seen the fossils come out black down in florida, but not red, know anything about that, or is it just iron staining?

Color is from the minerals in the ground when the piece was going through the fossilization steps. I have pulled different colors out of the same river, like the Edisto I have black, brown, orange, green, and gray but the main color seems to be chocolate brown. I have one spot on the Wando river that produces red teeth and I have found a couple of white teeth. Harleyville and Ridgeville, SC seem to produce white and yellow teeth.
My point is, it really just depends on the minerals in the ground. For what it is worth, the Suwannee River in Florida produce some of the nicest orange colored teeth I have seen.

Also, keep in mind in these photos the teeth are still wet and being that they appear darker. as they dry out the colors lighten up and on some there is this "film" or layer on hem but a quick shot with the dremel with a scotchbrite wheel will remove the film and not harm the tooth.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread