I got the Doodie! A Meg tooth and a giant Mako tooth!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No film at 11. Here it is. I was looking in the Miocene Calvert formation on the MD/Va line and had a banner day! so to speak. We all paid "extra" for renting boats and the group tooled for several miles up and down the Potomac to places that are normally not open to hunting. Actually, you can get arrested for trespass here. They take it very seriously.

First find of the day was this monster Mako tooth! IMG_0974.JPG It had some friends nearby, so I picked them up also. IMG_0975.JPG Most folks were heading north, so I went south and there were numerous clay small boulders in the water. This plate of small scallop shells caught my eye! It's about 11" across, so will be a nice display piece. There are dozens there! Poor babies!
IMG_0969.JPG Nearby were some whale vertebrae washing in the surf with what may be the joint for the flippers. IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0967.JPG Only got a few shells. IMG_0970.JPG Moving a little farther along I found the largest Ecphora Sp. I have ever found. IMG_0973.JPG And the doodie! Aka marine coprolite (poop). My first one and it's pretty big! Thanks to the paleontologist who was with us for the ID. IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0979.JPG And to finish it off, more misc. bones, sharks teeth of different kinds, lots of tiger shark teeth in here and a few ray plates. IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0972.JPG It was a lot of fun. Water is now down to 60 degrees, so I went right in it - repeatedly.

I'm still putting off the detecting a few more days.

Forgot the meg pic! Jeez! IMG_0980.JPG

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice Smokey.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I like the Mako and the scallop plate the best.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds! And nice variety including the Meg. I agree the scallop concretion will make a nice display.

Its a tough crowd for coprolite humor.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always been a tough crowd! I've been playing in the dirt collecting stuff since I was 7. Dinosaurs were still around then. Fortunately, I haven't kept everything. Strange but true, if there was one item missing that I'd like to have back was a small 1/2" Indian flake made of Pennsylvania jasper. It went missing 30 years ago...I can still see it in my mind's eye. Of all things to miss!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one smokey....good job !! I'm a super fan of shark teeth....of all kinds. I've been a commercial shark fisherman for 20+. This is the first season that I have not shark fished full time. I had to come out of retirement when my replacement that I trained last season died on deck of a heart attack this season. That's a great specimen in near flawless condition !! Awsome smokey !!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I'm going to sort the teeth by species. Soon. I hope.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Mega Haul Smoke. Nice hunt. I love getting to go where no-one is allowed. years ago I got to go abalone diving in the Navy harbor by San Francisco. strictly OFF limits for mega years. But with permission from the Admiral there we go. Abalone the size of dinner plates! Awesome stuff. Hope you get to go back again :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread