Limestone fossils.

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Come across them once in a while since I moved to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. All in limestone.
Used to be a underwater sea here and about 20 miles south of here they found a huge squid in a limestone quarry. Any way......here they are.....I think one is some kind of shell pokin out. Then the other two were found in the same spot same day. One is some kind of coral and the other looks like some kind of little sea plant, but if some one has a better idea of what to call that thing please let me know!

Attachments

• DSC01514.JPG
    DSC01514.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 507
  • DSC01515.JPG
    DSC01515.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 501

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "little shell poking out" is the lip of a horn coral. The pleated fossil is, I think, the head of a crynoid (a sea animal that looked like a flower - possibly Batocrinus - great find) and the other larger chunk is a Syringopora coral

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Nice finds. That last pic is definitely NOT a crinoid. It is, however, another coral. Not sure which one. Thanks for the look.
Ohio

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may be right. I saw that it was branching from the base to finer tips and figured a group of criniod arms without the basal cap.

crinoid2-lg.jpg

Looks mighty like a fossil in my Field Book of North American Fossils listed as a Batocrinis crinoid head, though (Not the inage above, that's just an example of a crinoid for comparison). The one in my firld guide does have the calyx/basal cap.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Charlie, I can see why you would think so but, I would say it is definitely a coral. Is that your Crawfordsville crinoid plate? If so it is super nice. I have actually collected in a few localities in NY state. I have collected Devonian stuff near Buffalo and Ordovician near Utica. Have you ever collected those localities by chance? Here is a pick of some Phacops from the NY Devonian. The enrolled example, however, is from our Silica shale here in Ohio.
Ohio

Attachments

• 616.JPG
    616.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 495

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No (sadly) the plate I lifted off the Internet. I did get a chance to pull an enrolled Phacops at Portland Point on Cayuga Lake along with some other trilobite partials. Cargill used to be pretty understanding but now, with liability & probably the request of Cornell and the Palentological Research Institute they chase off fossil hunters from the best trilobite site locally (widely known for the primo Phacops samples). I'll see if I can get him to cooperate for an image.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread