Need advice on cleaning trade scissors\trade iron

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an older pic from yesterday and I'm still working these scissors. I am using electrolysis, a small brass wire brush, a dental pick and some gentle tapping. I have the major corrosion off now but I'm wondering if I can free the scissors to be functional again. Well basicly I'm trying to get every nook and cranny corrosion free for preservation. Has anyone soaked a relic in PB Blaster to free a part ? Does it damage iron relics ? What are my alternate options ? My goal is to remove as much corrosion as possible then apply a preservative to save the relic. Thanks.
IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disregard the previous requests. I have found enough informational resources on preservation to save my iron pieces. I would however appreciate any comments\experience in regard to freeing the blades. I am very close and see day light between the cutting edges. Or....maybe this is as far as I should go. Bake it, seal it, done deal. What do you say ?

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find :icon_thumright:,, mine too looked as if I could free the blades .. but I had this gut feeling that at the end of it all the pivot pin would have to be replaced ... so re-framed from going any farther.

Attachments

• ALL.jpg
    ALL.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 478

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
I have some iron relics I would love to get looking like that! I know a big part of it is where a item is found, ie. ground conditions, but can you share your knowledge with the rest of us about how to preserve our iron?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks but I am a know nothing pup, feeling my way in the dark as I go. The pros are in Manitoba. About all I can say is that we are striving for high ethical standards with permission to detect private lands, complete documentation of finds and their locations, putting in endless hours cleaning\preserving relics etc. I have never sold a trade relic and consider any that I save from disappearing into a river from erosion, to be part of the cultural heritage of the country. Documentation of finds ''in situ'' is taken seriously for some of us up here. Good day to you sir. :icon_sunny:

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Hmmm, that wasn't much help.

I do agree with the documentation and preservation of finds. I do my best by keeping a journal and recording finds, at least it is something.

Can we see some of your other finds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread