A few recent finds, and a few old ones im still hoping for ID help on.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First i have a few recent FCM buttons after a light cleaning and a small shoe buckle that i dug a while back that kind of slipped under the radar.
I also have a lot of cut lead pieces, hammered lead pieces, and rolled lead pieces im hoping to post soon. Some of the cut lead pieces are similar to the one pictured below.
P9070001.JPG P9070002.JPG P9070003.JPG
Next is a small hollow item with what appears to be a circle or shield on it, and a 2.11" cone shaped piece of rolled brass.
Thinking this could be a really Large Tinkler.
The penny is just for scale purposes.
P9070004.JPG P9070005.JPG

Trade Rings?? I know the plain brass rings are probably hard to ID, but from what ive seen, the other 2 with stones look like they could be.
They were dug on the same sate as all my other finds including the Jesuit ring.
P9070001.JPG P9070002.JPG P9070010.JPG P9070003.JPG P9070004.JPG P9070005.JPG
P9070006.JPG P9070007.JPG P9070009.JPG P9070008.JPG
Next is a large brass plate type object with a cherub on a serpent type design. Its roughly 2.25" square.
Initially i thought it was more modern, but after looking at some of the other fur trade items here i have to ask.
Unfortunately its kind of crusty on the front and i gave up on cleaning it. Very concrete like crust.
P9070006.JPG P9070007.JPG P9070008.JPG
Last but not least is something i posted in the what is it section a long time ago. None has ever id'd it, but im sure its something interesting.
Its a 2" long lead cylinder that looks beaten or hammered flat on one end. The really odd thing is that it has 7 wooden dowels in it that are going almost all the way through it and one small drill hole on the side.
All of these items were dug at the same site i dug all of my other late 17th/early 18th century relics that i posted the other day..
P9070010.JPG P9070011.JPG P9070012.JPG P9070013.JPG

I posted some of this stuff a long time ago in the Todays finds and What is It sections. Just thought i would try in this subforum as it seems some of you guys posting here really know your stuff.
Thanks for looking. Will be adding more pics later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBR, The 2 rings with the stones (in my opinion) are most definately typical Fur Trade items. The cherub piece is hard to date.......Could very well be Fur Trade era. I'm guessing it was originally tacked onto a wooden box or furniture........
The wood & lead piece is really intriguing! I first thought it might be part of a parasol.....but the center piece of wood probably isn't large enough for that......
Sorry.......that's going to be a tough one!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBR, The 2 rings with the stones (in my opinion) are most definately typical Fur Trade items. The cherub piece is hard to date.......Could very well be Fur Trade era. I'm guessing it was originally tacked onto a wooden box or furniture........
The wood & lead piece is really intriguing! I first thought it might be part of a parasol.....but the center piece of wood probably isn't large enough for that......
Sorry.......that's going to be a tough one!

Iowa Dale

Thanks for taking the time to respond Dale.
I kind of suspected the rings to possibly be trade rings.
The brass plate im not so sure about, but i had to just throw that out there to see if anyone else has ever encountered something similar on one of their sites.
The lead item with wood in it has always intrigued me. Whatever it is it probably took alot of effort to make. Im sure it is quite old. I have shown it to alot of people and no one has ever seen anything like it. I have found alot of lead at this site. Ive always wondered what they were doing with it. I think some was used for making bullets, fishing weights, game pieces. But some of the rolled stuff has always puzzled me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions