Tons of lead from an early trade site

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
It's likely all that lead was mined in my state by Mesqwaki indians. 8-)

Looks like a battle went on there. Nice site you hunt! :thumb_up:

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm researching to go searching for a long lost trade lodge on the Des Moines and/or Raccoon river known as "Dirt Lodge" that was in seasonal use from late 1700's to 1820's. I've read in the course of research that most lead in the upper Mississippi valley in those times had been mined at the Mines of Spain in Dubuque, Ia, with some coming from the Illinois side of the river also. Apparently the evidence suggests the natives were mining and smelting lead there long before Christopher Columbus set sail. 8-)

I understand any reluctance to divulge your location, but I'm curious of the general location these were found. What body of water flows near your site? Perhaps I have information that could assist you in some way. :dontknow:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting to know.
I dont think any battles took place here. I believe there was a military encampment here for several years.
Many of the musket balls were dug in one general area of the site at the top of a hillside, and half way down the hill side.
Its almost like they were manufacturing, storing, or distributing these in this area. This area was sort of the sweetest spot of the site.
Also dug my trade weight, several spanish silvers, and some tinkler cones in this area.
I can only conclude that this is possibly where alot of the trade and issueing actually took place.

Think this possibly was an actual trading post site? Just a thought...........

Iowa Dale

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may be gaming pieces, see the X scratched on to the square chunk. Sometimes lead is rolled as fishing net weights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread