Garmin (Trek) GPS

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the e-trex coupled with Maptech software, i can print maps and exchange info with the gps, to be highly accurate and user friendly. Also, UTM coordinates are much easier to use in the field than the standard lat/long coordinate system

FrankTM

Sep 4, 2006
Illinois (Dekalb County)
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350
I agree with the Garmin Etrex I just upgraded to a Etrex Vista C from a Explorist 300. Have not run it through the woods yet, but am very happy with it so far.

Frank

T

TheDetectorist

I got a Garmin Etrex Legend for Christmas, and I love it! It's my first GPS unit, and I am amazed at what it can do. The speed and trip meter are pretty cool. But my wife chose this one because it had the only feature I wanted out of a GPS unit. MGRS. The military grid reference system is SOOO cool. I can even use the pan map feature to find the coords of someplace away from me. Good enough for a 6 digit grid!

I have been playing with it quite a bit, but I still have a lot of the features to learn.

TD

J

Jean310

I bought the Garmin76 Map unit a couple of years ago. I really like the unit, but like everything else in this world, the technology advances with time, and now there are some better units on the market.

Mine is still very usable, and I have augmented it by getting the Garmin Map Source CD. This allows me to download detailed maps into my GPS, so I can have all the little back roads and stuff in the area I'm interested in.

Another thing I've done is to buy the software ExpertGPS, which allows me to take the tracks and waypoints that I record from my GPS, and overlay them on a standard topo map or aerial photo map. I've mapped some unknown ski trails that way.

Have also used it a lot in the car, while navigating to some place I've not been before.

Did one geo-cache adventure with it, and that was a lot of fun. I recommend everyone with a GPS should find at least one geo-cache. You will learn a lot.

Jean

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a navigator in the Navy and love my Garmin's. You think the e trex is nice, or the Garmin 76S, wait till you stick a Garmin C330 or above model on the windshield of your car.

Stroover

Mar 28, 2006
Canadian East Coast
Wreckdiver is right: regardless of what gps unit you use, you should have a standard magnetic compass handy as well. As for a gps, I also have an E-trek Legend (Garmin) which I use regularly, wether for th'ing, geocaching, or just hiking, fishing, boating, etc. Somebody mentionned "easy gps", which is free to download and user friendly, which I also use. I use both my gps and EasyGps in conjunction with Google Earth (easy enough to link them all together and paints a broader, easy to understand picture) to track where I've been, and where I need/want to go next. Mind you, Google Earth is only useful for this if the area in question happens to be in high definition. I also have Mapsource, and yes, it is quite pricey, but very much worth it's price, especially if you're into seeking roads/trails which don't show up on conventionnal maps. If mapsource is out of your price range and if you're at all computer savy, go to http://gps.chrisb.org/en/download.htm and download SendMap, then apparently it's just a matter of clicking and dragging the maps you want to your gps unit, though I haven't tried it myself. It's free and seems to be legal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread