Anyone using a Garmin Montana?

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My trusty ol Magellan Platium finally died. A couple of years ago, I wanted to upgrade and purchased the then new Oregon 300. Looked at one in the store and it was great! Purchased it on internet and worked great indoors, but in the sunlight- it suckd big time! Called Factory support and asked if they had any problems- none whats-so-ever! Long story short, it went into my backup box and used Magellan.
Understand Garmin has corrected problem w/ earlier GPS's and the Montana has an improved screen that works in direct sunlight (duh!). Anyone have and used it in the great outdoors and what do you think about it?
Thanks, Shep

Klems

Jul 12, 2012
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Shep, I just picked up a Montana 650t a few weeks ago and I love it! It's my first GPS and I really wanted something that was rugged with a nice touchscreen.

I took it on a 35 mile bike ride around Bainbridge Is, WA and had a great time. The screen is backlit pretty well, althouth if it is over about 60% it will eat battery pretty quick. I kept mine around 50% and I still had 40% battery at the end of the day. The only drawback I don't like on the device is that even if I brush up against the screen while the display is in power saving mode (display off/device on and tracking), it will activate the device and drain the batter further. If you figure out how to disable this function, please let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread