Hmmm Aint that neat .. Lowrance Undocumented goody

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Hmmm Ain't 'that' neat .. Lowrance Undocumented goody

I bought a Lowrance IFinder Map & Music (built in mp3 player, discontinued and on sale, but it's the same unit and software as the H20) mostly because the Lowrance has the best built in basemap. In Canada, it lacks ALL the roads,(the U.S. basemap is amazing)but every lake over 5 acres in on it, and I bought it for the boat.. I don't need all the marine details, just the outline of the lakes and this fits the bill perfect, Magellan and Garmin don't have anything close in the basemap..
Now for the neat thing.. All the I-Finders and probably most of the others will probably have this undocumented feature, even the simulators on the Lowrance website have it..
A complaint that I had with the small hand held, was I like to monitor the speed of my boat using the GPS, but the little GroundSpeed window left a lot to be desired.. But low and behold it's like magic, and just what I wanted..!!
Bring up the second map display, the one with the customizable data at the bottom, then hit EXIT three times in 2 seconds (you may have to try this a few times until you get the cadence down right) and bingo up pops a LARGE speedometer, and the speedometer range can be varied using the Zin and Zout keys to make the speed range larger or smaller.. On the boat, I keep it on a 0 to 40 range (small cruiser) and in the 'System' setup I set the unit of measure (speed/distance to metric or miles as needed) and under 'Utilities' set the speed threshold to '1or 2'
Your speedometer will now readout in 2 mph or kph steps across it's set range..I have not been able to find any info on this feature in any manual, documentation, or website information.. It may have been an old feature that is still in the software, but not documented anymore.. It could be because until you get the 3 Exit punch rythm and timing down it's a hit or miss feature, and they law of averages says that some people will never have the rhythm to bring it up reliably, and Lowrance may have got fed up of dealing with people that have no rhythm ;D

Have fun...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread