OK, Got a GPS, now, about those maps?

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hi,

After doing some research, I found a good Garmin eTrex Vista on Craig's List and I bought it.

Now, it appears I need some maps to fill in. In my town, for example, the Vista is only showing me the very most used streets, not all the other streets. I need suggestions and ideas about how to get the other information that will fill in the blanks, and of course, I don't want to pay the nearly $200 for a brand new set of topo discs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The eTrex came with 'Mapsource' when originally purchased. Would there be any chance of contacting the seller and getting the disc? Also, did you get the computer interface cable with the GPS?

OP
OP
MikeOregon

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Yes I got both of those items mentioned in the message above this one. The Mapsource was loaded on, but it is woefully inadequate. For example, in my town, a city of 130,000 people, it shows very few streets, like about the 4 biggest ones and that is all. I know there are more detailed maps out there, but I don't know which ones are best, and I don't know how to get them for the best price. I've looked at Garmin's website, and their maps are outrageously expensive--more than I paid for the GPS unit! How do I get the best deal from here? Ebay?

Thanks,

Mike

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The mapsource disc was my only answer. I know once I registered my Garmin I can log onto the website and get updates, but I live in a bigger town... Sorry I can't be more help.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but I think Garmin software only goes to 1/100000 scale on topo's---woefully inadequate for our use

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
Hi all, I'm not sure if you have just the base map loaded on your unit or have the optional mapping software that needs to be purchased separately. Turn the unit on, scroll to the main menu. Select setup/map/click enter. Press menu
, you will view a list of all available maps on your unit and options to view or hide them. If you do indeed have actual mapping software loaded you will need to zoom in to see more detail. The topo you mentioned is no where near the stated 200$ price that's stated. Be warned though, Garmins Topo is lacking in many respects. Also, only Garmin maps can be loaded on a Garmin GPS. I have been using Garmins for several years now. If I can be of assistance please give a hollar.

mr007s,,,,,Life is Good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread