Something to be on the look out for at garage sales..........

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that is: old drafting tools. I just found an old drafting protractor and a slide rule at an estate sale last weekend, both made by Keuffel & Esser.
I listed both on ebay. The protractor is at $52 with 24 watchers!! It goes off tomorrow(9/16/09) and I can't wait to see what it brings. The slide rule has the minimum bid of $7.99. At the same estate sale, I found an old splint oak but-tocks basket. It is at $36.00 with 28 watchers.
Here's some pictures.........
Oh yeah, I gave less than $2.00 for all ;D!!!
regards, sandcreek

Attachments

• IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,816
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,829

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I learned something :icon_thumleft: Honestly; I would never have thought to buy an item like that because I have no use for it, but apparently there is a market for it. Good for you :headbang:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Now I learned something :icon_thumleft: Honestly; I would never have thought to buy an item like that because I have no use for it, but apparently there is a market for it. Good for you :headbang:
Thanks spartacus! The protractor sold for $103.78!!!! and the slide rule sold for $15.50! and the basket sold for $113.51!!!! :hello2:. That's a pretty good profit for my $2.00 investment, huh?!

Thanks for the comments!!
kind regards,
sandcreek

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the tip...dying to know what your auctions end at? Hope ya make a bundle.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey moley, pick me up off the floor... excellent.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
thanks for the tip...dying to know what your auctions end at? Hope ya make a bundle.
I made a $232.00 profit on a $2.00 buy!
Also at this sale was a beautiful set of New England ladderback chairs we paid $5.00 a piece for--beautiful rush seats and dark patina. They were out in the garage (with this other stuff I just sold) and everything was dirty and we had to fight spiders :tongue3: and dig through lots of junk.
My sister has an antique shop in Pawhuska and she sold the chairs for us. Guess what they sold for? $215.00 :headbang:!! And she had an antique dealer tell her that they were probably worth more than that(I wish I had taken a picture of them to show ya!).
And there was other stuff that we bought at the sale(vases, dishes, other tools). All together we spent $33.50 at that one estate sale.
It was a wonderful estate sale ;D.
Thanks for the comments, Bootybay!
regards,
sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveDodds said:
Whats so special about the basket? I see a lot of baskets at garage sales. Never thought about looking at any of them.
Steve--it was an early buttocks basket, with a splint oak handle. They were used to gather apples, eggs, ect. A lot of them come from the Appalachians(spelling?) or East coast. Do a search on eBay of those kind of baskets and look at some of the prices. This is the first one I've come across in 15 years of going to garage sales. If you see lots of baskets at garage sales, start looking them over. You should also look for Longaberger baskets--some of them are worth quite a bit of money, and usually they are stamped or signed.
kind regards,
sandcreek

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks spartacus! The protractor sold for $103.78!!!! and the slide rule sold for $15.50! and the basket sold for $113.51!!!! . That's a pretty good profit for my $2.00 investment, huh?!

Thanks for the comments!!
kind regards,
sandcreek

WTG :hello2: :headbang: :notworthy: Unreal, now I have to get my money back from Bernie and invest it with you :D Normally when I go to yardsales, flea markets, consignment shops, I look at items that catch my eye. I think it is human nature to be drawn to something that will satisfy your wants. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for other items that just have greater value to the whole.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
WTG :hello2: :headbang: :notworthy: Unreal, now I have to get my money back from Bernie and invest it with you :D Normally when I go to yardsales, flea markets, consignment shops, I look at items that catch my eye. I think it is human nature to be drawn to something that will satisfy your wants. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for other items that just have greater value to the whole.
When I first started selling on ebay and in consignment shops, I only sold things that really "caught my eye" too. But I try to keep an open mind(eye) for other stuff now. Mens stuff seems to be selling best right now on eBay(tools, military items) and old paper items, such as journals, diaries, anything with historical reference and if it is handwritten. People want "one of a kind" things. I think the market(eBay) was so flooded with pottery and glass that the bottom dropped out of that area of collecting. Unless , of course , its a really rare piece of glass/pottery.
This is another form of "treasure hunting" to me, spartucus. You just never know what the next garage sale might hold :wink:!
regards,
sandcreek

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Thanks for the tip. I just bought a POST VERSALOG 1460 SLIDE RULE W/ CASE at a church thrift store for $4.00.
Ebay two most recent completed sale were $38.78 and $36.00. :hello2: Without your tip I would have ignored it.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jnkhntr said:
Thanks for the tip. I just bought a POST VERSALOG 1460 SLIDE RULE W/ CASE at a church thrift store for $4.00.
Ebay two most recent completed sale were $38.78 and $36.00. :hello2: Without your tip I would have ignored it.
Good Deal :thumbsup:, junk hunter!!!! I'm glad to have helped you!!
kind regards,
sandcreek

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I want to give Sandcreek a bit thankyou. I read this post a few days ago and the 2nd yardsale I went to this morning, were low and behold, two slide rules!!! One an Keuffel and Esser and one is a Pickett, and they came with the cases and instruction manuals. And to beat all..............................they were marked FREE!!!! I grabbed them up quick and bought something from the lady for $5.00 that my wife wanted just to ease my guilt feelings. The K & E is model number 4055 and the Pickett is model 300. I see where both models are going on Ebay for about 15-16 dollars. I might turn free into $30 and think I will be listing them right after I post this message and take some pics. Thanks again, Sandcreek, I never would have known without your post.

T.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tford62 said:
I want to give Sandcreek a bit thankyou. I read this post a few days ago and the 2nd yardsale I went to this morning, were low and behold, two slide rules!!! One an Keuffel and Esser and one is a Pickett, and they came with the cases and instruction manuals. And to beat all..............................they were marked FREE!!!! I grabbed them up quick and bought something from the lady for $5.00 that my wife wanted just to ease my guilt feelings. The K & E is model number 4055 and the Pickett is model 300. I see where both models are going on Ebay for about 15-16 dollars. I might turn free into $30 and think I will be listing them right after I post this message and take some pics. Thanks again, Sandcreek, I never would have known without your post.

T.
I am so glad for you, tford62!! For "free" you did good!! And I hope they bring more on eBay than the others ones brought! I love sharing info that will help people make a few dollars!!
kind regards,
sandcreek

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I posted those rules last night, the Pickett already has a $6.99 bid and a watcher. LOL Thanks again, Sandcreek. T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread