Lots of plunder today!! Wall pockets, pottery, cowboy spurs!

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I got into a really good garage sale today! Lots of old stuff---super cheap! I found some beautiful lustreware wall pockets(50 cents each!!), an old cookie jar($5), a glass wash board with chicken wire inside the glass($2.50), a Venetian glass horse, red with gold flecks(50 cents), a Shawnee elephant creamer(10 cents!), Don Ricardo aluminum cowboy spurs($5), a Bakelite bracelet(25 cents), Johnnie Walker red pitcher($3) and lots more! The sale was at a storage unit and some old men were running it. There was a really cool old steamer trunk(not pictured) and I asked the old man "how much?" and he said "You can HAVE it!!". It needs some work--its dirty and I may have to "shabby chic" it with a little paint ;D--but since it was free I took it off his hands :wink:.
Here's some pics. of the stuff before I took the price tags off(so you can see what I gave for it) and I'm gonna have to do some cleaning on some of the pieces, but overall the glassware was in good condition.
I'm going try the wall pockets on eBay and see what they bring.
Thanks for looking!
sandcreek

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,020
  • IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 995
  • IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 1,146

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great prices!! Love it when I find a good sale like this one. Keep us updated on the ebay sells... :icon_thumright:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow !!! You are going to flood e-bay,lol What a good day :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.raud said:
Great prices!! Love it when I find a good sale like this one. Keep us updated on the ebay sells... :icon_thumright:
We'll keep you posted, j.raud. Thanks for the comments..
kind regards,
sandcreek
TnMountains said:
Holy cow !!! You are going to flood e-bay,lol What a good day :icon_sunny:
Yeah, it'll take me all day to list this stuff! I love getting into these old junky garage sales where the people just want to get rid of the stuff and tend to "give it away"!! ;D
Thanks TnMountains!!
regards,
sandcreek

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Don't paint the trunk. Its worth far more when its not "ruined with somebody's good intention." I have refurbished a couple of old trunks and I cringe anytime I see an old trunk that has been painted. If it is in that bad of shape there is plenty of information on the net about refurbishing. If you cannot do the work or don't wanna do the work there is plenty of places online that do it. It will be well worth it in the end.

Here is some info to get you started.
http://www.shenandoahrestoration.com/

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey moley you made a heck of a killing... what awesome ebay goodies.. and a trunk too.. I got one, treasure chest style ( thats what I call em) the leather was literally flaking and peeling off.. so, I sat there, and picked all the leather off..showing the bare wood.. I lightly sanded the wood, hit it with a stain I liked, put a preservative on it..and now I have a beautiful trunk.. I gotta tell ya, I love the wall pockets ya got.. that sale would make me smile for a month..

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveDodds said:
Don't paint the trunk. Its worth far more when its not "ruined with somebody's good intention." I have refurbished a couple of old trunks and I cringe anytime I see an old trunk that has been painted. If it is in that bad of shape there is plenty of information on the net about refurbishing. If you cannot do the work or don't wanna do the work there is plenty of places online that do it. It will be well worth it in the end.

Here is some info to get you started.
http://www.shenandoahrestoration.com/
Thanks for the info, Steve. I might just put it in the barn then, until winter, and try and refurbish it. It will be a long process--it sure is nasty but and stinks(moldy smelling!).
regards,
sandcreek
Bootybay said:
holey moley you made a heck of a killing... what awesome ebay goodies.. and a trunk too.. I got one, treasure chest style ( thats what I call em) the leather was literally flaking and peeling off.. so, I sat there, and picked all the leather off..showing the bare wood.. I lightly sanded the wood, hit it with a stain I liked, put a preservative on it..and now I have a beautiful trunk.. I gotta tell ya, I love the wall pockets ya got.. that sale would make me smile for a month..
Bootybay--when we were at this sale, and saw all these cheap prices, we couldn't believe it! I was mouthing "Oh my Gawd!" at my mom across the tables and we were grinning ear to ear ;D. We spent $62 dollars and had a truck load of stuff! There were more things that my sister put at her antique shop. It was one of those sales that I'll remember forever! WHAT A RUSH! :laughing9:
regards,
sandcreek

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that painting best of all. I can see it is not a large painting, but seems to be rather old so I'd have it checked. Were you able to read the artists signature? I'd have that painting checked as I have seen several like that on TV's Roadside Antiques and they were all made by well known local artists and would garner a nice price.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
I like that painting best of all. I can see it is not a large painting, but seems to be rather old so I'd have it checked. Were you able to read the artists signature? I'd have that painting checked as I have seen several like that on TV's Roadside Antiques and they were all made by well known local artists and would garner a nice price.
I think the painting is a print by Homer Martin called "View On The Seine" and is dated 1895! There is one just like it on eBay(completed listings).
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PAINTIN...ings?hash=item1e586a809a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
The one on eBay has a different date than mine, though. I'm going to research it somemore. The frame on this one is really beautiful and I'm sure its the original one. If anyone reads this and knows anything about this artist, please tell me! Is this type of painting called "Impressionism"?

Thanks for the comments, spartacus!!
kind regards,
sandcreek

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
spartacus53 said:
I think the painting is a print by Homer Martin called "View On The Seine" and is dated 1895! There is one just like it on eBay(completed listings).
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PAINTIN...ings?hash=item1e586a809a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
The one on eBay has a different date than mine, though. I'm going to research it somemore. The frame on this one is really beautiful and I'm sure its the original one. If anyone reads this and knows anything about this artist, please tell me! Is this type of painting called "Impressionism"?

kind regards,
sandcreek

Try this website http://www.askart.com/askart/m/homer_dodge_martin/homer_dodge_martin.aspx

Looks like you got one of his last works too, he died in 1897. I couldn't tell if it was a print, or a watercolor painting. That looked like a watercolor to me, but I am an untrained eye. That piece also looks to be in the style of the time along the Hudson. I've seen other works by various artists and if it is a watercolor you did make a great score. That frame alone is worth a good bit of change :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
sandcreek4 said:
spartacus53 said:

kind regards,
sandcreek

Try this website http://www.askart.com/askart/m/homer_dodge_martin/homer_dodge_martin.aspx

Looks like you got one of his last works too, he died in 1897. I couldn't tell if it was a print, or a watercolor painting. That looked like a watercolor to me, but I am an untrained eye. That piece also looks to be in the style of the time along the Hudson. I've seen other works by various artists and if it is a watercolor you did make a great score. That frame alone is worth a good bit of change :icon_thumleft:
Spartacus--thanks for that link! I can't tell if its a watercolor or not :icon_scratch:. I will take it out of the frame and take another picture of it. The old frame was what got my attention and then I saw the beautiful picture. This piece was just 25c!!
Thanks for all your help and comments!!!
regards,
sandcreek

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a watercolor and that is a good thing. You can tell watercolor many times by the style alone and the way the colors blend and fade. I paint, the walls, my toes, and sometimes on canvas :laughing9: I use mostly oils and acrylics, but would love to get back into watercolor. And don't kid yourself, watercolor paintings do have a high market value and I think you really have a winner there.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Sandcreek, would like to know how you came out on the wall pockets, had a sister-in-law that collected them and some of them were quite valuable...

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldgoat said:
Sandcreek, would like to know how you came out on the wall pockets, had a sister-in-law that collected them and some of them were quite valuable...
oldgoat--They brought $21, $35 and $20. I thought they might bring a little bit more, but considering I didn't give hardly anything for them, I am pleased with the outcome! You just never know with eBay---sometimes things will go really high and sometimes not.
Thanks for your interest!
sandcreek

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score :thumbsup: . I have the same shawnee pig creamer. I like that glass christmas tree topper. Reminds me of the one we had when I was a kid.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Nice score :thumbsup: . I have the same shawnee pig creamer. I like that glass christmas tree topper. Reminds me of the one we had when I was a kid.
Thanks diggummup! This was a garage sale that I'll remember for a long time :wink:.
kind regards,
sandcreek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread