MINED A LITTLE FLORIDA STERLING SILVER

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Saturday at a garage sale here in Florida I found these great English Sterling Silver pieces. Believe it or not, it was very late in the day and they had sat there all day. No TreasureNet types to recognize the British Hallmarks. The largest weighs 489.1 grams,the next weighs 449 grams, and the sugar bowl weighs 119 grams. I asked how much and was told $2.00 each. Check out the inscription on the large pot.

Attachments

• baset.jpg
    baset.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 766
  • batea5.jpg
    batea5.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 759
  • batea3.jpg
    batea3.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 765

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Beautiful pieces--please tell us what the full inscription says...great find--congrats !

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
Great find - I recently thought about tag sale finds because my wife used to force me to go tag salin' with her on Saturday mornings. I hated it for about 5 minutes. Once you go it gets addicting because you run into some really cool stuff! Is there a good site that might offer reference material so that I might better be able to identify sterling silver at tag sales? I think I have heard of Sterling, Sterling Silver & Silver Plate.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Birmingham England city mark that dates to 1913. What is the first letter of the makers mark? " _ CD", Is that an H or a W?

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That unit earned a Presidential Unit Citation for their efforts building airfields to support the allied assault of Fortress Europe. They arrived in France on 7 June, 1944.
They also constructed fields in England.

more about the 834th:

http://www.ixengineercommand.com/units/834th/index.php
http://ibiblio.net/hyperwar/////USA/USA-A-Omaha/USA-A-Omaha-9.html

Here's an account from a soldier who served in that unit:
http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent1/?file=dday_0052p1
from a website post:
"The 834th was broken into four "serials" (A-1 through A-4) and they all landed on 7 June on Omaha. As the advance unit for Omaha Beach, the 834th was scheduled to land on 6 June but could not due to fighting on the beach. They had to wait off shore till the next morning. "

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Yes, this is from Henry Clifford Davis of Birmingham, but the style of the mark with the letters in individual conjoined circles was only in use between 1920-1964, so the date letter ‘O’ can’t be for 1913, The same letter was used in 1938, which is more consistent with the WWII-related inscriptio

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread