Found a neat lithograph at a sale today--and lots of other stuff!

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to some really good garage sales today. The first sale started at 7:00a.m. and it was a good one! I found all kinds of antiques. Some old lace up shoes($3.00), celluloid plaques($2 & $3)McCoy vase($1!!), three Ivory elephants! ($10 all), and lots of other odds and ends. Probably the best buy of the day was a lithograph print by Robert Wesley Amick--I gave $35.00 for it. The lady had $50.00 on it and I asked her for a better deal ;D . The litho is of Indians on a ridge getting ready to attack a wagon train below. The old frame is even in pretty good condition. Here's some pictures.
Thanks for looking!
sandcreek
(I'll have to "reply" with more pics. cause I can only upload a few at a time)

Attachments

• IMG_5599 (650x433) (638x413).jpg
    IMG_5599 (650x433) (638x413).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_5600 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_5600 (650x433).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_5601 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_5601 (650x433).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_5602 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_5602 (650x433).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_5617 (650x467).jpg
    IMG_5617 (650x467).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_5622 (585x650).jpg
    IMG_5622 (585x650).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_5623 (650x637).jpg
    IMG_5623 (650x637).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 710
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more pics~~

Attachments

• IMG_5606 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_5606 (650x433).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_5611 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_5611 (650x433).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_5613 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_5613 (650x433).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_5616 (650x492).jpg
    IMG_5616 (650x492).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 706

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like someone had a fun shopping day. I liked everything but the lace up shoes. The tops are in terrible shape. Just curious, were they your size :dontknow: I can see value in everything but those shoes. I guess you got the shoes for 2 reasons.

1- They looked cool (and they really do)
2- You're a woman and you have to buy shoes ;D

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Looks like someone had a fun shopping day. I liked everything but the lace up shoes. The tops are in terrible shape. Just curious, were they your size :dontknow: I can see value in everything but those shoes. I guess you got the shoes for 2 reasons.

1- They looked cool (and they really do)
2- You're a woman and you have to buy shoes ;D
;D Nope the shoes won't fit :'( :laughing9: , but they are something that would look cool in an old armoir(Yeah, I'm just like every other woman---I have a fixation with shoes and purses!). I know the tops are pretty rough, but you just don't find old shoes like that anymore. The woman that wore them must have had really narrow feet!
What do you think about the old celluloid plaques, Spartacus? They look to me like they come from the WWI era? One has Infantry soldiers on it and the other has U.S. Navy on it.

Thanks for your comments :hello: !
sandcreek

C

Cappy Z.

Robert Amick was born in Canon City, Colorado amidst cowboys, prospectors and Indians. He studied law at Yale and practiced law for two years before becoming an artist. He worked as a printmaker, illustrator and painter. His paintings of landscapes, horses and western life (his childhood) became so popular that several were printed for the public school system.

Courtesy: Best of the West Auctions, Colorado Springs, CO

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy Z. said:
Robert Amick was born in Canon City, Colorado amidst cowboys, prospectors and Indians. He studied law at Yale and practiced law for two years before becoming an artist. He worked as a printmaker, illustrator and painter. His paintings of landscapes, horses and western life (his childhood) became so popular that several were printed for the public school system.

Courtesy: Best of the West Auctions, Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Cappy Z.---I just googled him and saw the same thing. Looks like he lived a very exciting life, huh? And was born in 1879 and lived until 1969!
sandcreek

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the plates may post WWI, but then again I am no expert ;D It seems that the lady in white clothes seem to be from the roaring 20's. Maybe they were something sold with your picture to get additional revenue of the service. :dontknow: I am not into plates, except when I eat off of them :laughing7: Were there any marking on the back of the plates?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that was a helluva day there. Good stuff! It'd take me 6 months of yardsales to get all that good stuff. congrats!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
I think the plates may post WWI, but then again I am no expert ;D It seems that the lady in white clothes seem to be from the roaring 20's. Maybe they were something sold with your picture to get additional revenue of the service. :dontknow: I am not into plates, except when I eat off of them :laughing7: Were there any marking on the back of the plates?
No markings on the back of the plaques---the back is made of a tin material. It would be cool to know who the people were in the pictures on the plaques. I'm pretty sure its celluloid material on the front. You are probably right about them being post WWI.
Thanks again!
diggummup said:
Well that was a helluva day there. Good stuff! It'd take me 6 months of yardsales to get all that good stuff. congrats!
Thanks diggummup! We usually don't find a whole lotta antiques---It pays to be the first one at the sale, though! Competition is fierce around here :wink: .
sandcreek~~

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem. You know, the more I see those ratty shoes, the more they grow on me. I am thinking like 1910 maybe earlier :dontknow: It maybe even from the late 1890's :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
I love the Roseville and other art pottery in your first picture! :::drools:::
Thanks SWR!
I have 2 pieces of Roseville, 1 Van Briggle small vase with butterfly design, 1 Brown County Pottery Vase(its hand thrown), and some McCoy vases. I like to collect the green and blue pieces. That one Roseville candlestick with the Zephyr Lillies on it was only 75 cents!(But there is only one of those). I love art pottery from the early 1900's! I've sold alot that I wish I had back now.
spartacus53 said:
No problem. You know, the more I see those ratty shoes, the more they grow on me. I am thinking like 1910 maybe earlier :dontknow: It maybe even from the late 1890's :icon_scratch:
Yes, I kinda thought those shoes looked early 1900's. I have a book on vintage clothing that I need to look at to see if there are any shoes like those in it :read2: . There's beauty in all types of antiques :D .
Thanks again, Spartacus!!!

steif

Mar 2, 2007
Hi,
I'm here in the middle of Indiana and I think those shoes should sell for about $60 around here. Those celluloid pictures are probably WW1 vintage, they made a lot of items for the home front crowd then, I think with a bit of research that's what it will be. The US Navy picture could very well be a nurse, that's the common uniform for nurses in WW1, and the most interesting to me is the other one, with the US flag and the Kingdom of Italy flag. Very neat. I would think that one could be worth a hundred, just with my gut instinct, the navy picture should bring $40. They at one time had wire stands on the back so they would sit on a shelf, I think. I've seen some close to that that were that way.
That is a very nice lot of items!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steif said:
Hi,
I'm here in the middle of Indiana and I think those shoes should sell for about $60 around here. Those celluloid pictures are probably WW1 vintage, they made a lot of items for the home front crowd then, I think with a bit of research that's what it will be. The US Navy picture could very well be a nurse, that's the common uniform for nurses in WW1, and the most interesting to me is the other one, with the US flag and the Kingdom of Italy flag. Very neat. I would think that one could be worth a hundred, just with my gut instinct, the navy picture should bring $40. They at one time had wire stands on the back so they would sit on a shelf, I think. I've seen some close to that that were that way.
That is a very nice lot of items!
Thanks Steif! I had an old pair of shoes similar to these one time and I sold them for about $40. They were in a little better condition than these are.
Thanks for the info on the celluloid plaques, too! That's kinda neat that you identified the Kingdom of Italy flag. The U.S. flag has 48 stars on it. I had thought about putting them on eBay, but couldn't find any to compare them with, so wasn't sure what to start the bidding at.
I'm not sure what to do with the Ivory elephant pieces---I don't think eBay allows items like that. I might just hang on to them for awhile.
I have some other items I got (at that same sale) including a Steuben paperweight frog. Its called a "hand cooler" and I gave 25 cents for it. They're selling on eBay for $50+. So, I listed that today on eBay. I also got two Occupied Japan Blue Willow plates for 25 cents each. My daughter collects that stuff so we'll probably keep those. And I took a whole bunch of other smalls(plates, knick-knacks) to my sisters antique shop where I'll make my money back. Anything else I sell will be all profit :hello2: .
Thanks again!
sandcreek~~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread