I FEEL GUILTY

muddyknees

May 5, 2005
Holden Beach,North Carolina
Have you ever bought any thing at a sell and felt guilty?
this morning I stopped at a yard sale a little old lady was selling some of her and her dead husbands belongings she was selling her house and moving. in a cigar box she had a lot of pennies picked up ahand full and saw they were all wheaties. I asked the price she said is 6.00 too much .when I got home dumped all the coins on table heres what I found a 39 merc. in great shape 1 large cent no date,6 43 steel pennies 1 1913 penny.a 1910 200 wheats all 40s and 50s,a little necklace made from a belguim coin. I CAME AWAY HAPPY BUT NOW FEEL REAL BAD im going back tomorrow and give her some more money.
muddyknees

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I wouldn't worry about it too much, thats about what a coin shop would've given her. 2 cents each on the wheats, the others aren't really that scarce, either. Nice finds for a garage sale, though. Will fill some holes in your book pretty good, I bet. Don't feel too guilty, it's not like you found a 1909S VDB or anything!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, MK, but I agree with Jeffro. If you go back and give her more money than she'll think she sold you something REALLY valuable. Then she'll be worried about what she sold you! :D

That's why I like it here. It's because of people like you, MuddyKnees, who are so conscientious and possess great values. ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Muddy,

what Haupin said.

Don't make her life more difficult with worry.

She will start thinking if she should be selling the
rest of their items. Or did she sell other item that
hold more value.

have a good un.............

OP
OP
muddyknees

muddyknees

May 5, 2005
Holden Beach,North Carolina
Thanks Jeffro, haupin, shermanvill, now I feel better. also bought from her 3 old pocket knifes case 3x, remminton, and schared, and 2 ccc patches civilian concervation corp.
thanks guys and nice words haupin.
muddyknees

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In case the situation arises again, you could return to the sale, buy something you don't want, and overpay.

That minimizes her confusion over pricing on the coins and relieves your ethical concerns about paying the right amount. Nice to see you have some ethical values in todays world.

God Bless!

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Just the fact that you felt guilty speaks volumes about your character, which is obviously outstanding.
I agree with everyone else's advice. You did the right thing, and it was also right to think about it afterwards.
Way to go,
Bob

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
You feel guilty by giving her what she wanted for a box of pennies?

I was at a yardsale a few years ago and asked if they had any costume jewelry they'd like to sell..... For $20 I got 2 orange boxes FULL of jewelry, all different things, After sorting it out and checking everything I ended up with almost a POUND of 14K, over a pound of Sterling, and so much Rhinestone goodies that I thought I'd never sell them all. I've nothing left, sold it all and my investment of $20 became worth $4000.

Guilty, you say?

Like buying an 18K brooch from little kids at a yardsale for .25 , I dont feel it at all! I've bought gold for pennies too. Why not?

Aufinder01

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a good man Muddy,

But I gotta' side with Aufinder01 on this one.

When I decide I'm going Yard "Sale-ing"

I'm going Treasure Hunting.

My whole purpose to get something for next to nothing,
or even for Nothing if possible.

I won't go as far as to talk someone down on something
I already Know I'm getting at a Steal.
But I'll be doing the "Happy Dance" inside, While I'm
Paying :D

To each his own.

Happy hunting !

Jeff

S

stefen

You were aware of the bargain when you agreed to her asking price. And no doubt she was happy with your purchase.

It's like setting your mind to a stock or land sale...you were satisfied at the time...never look back, even if the values dramatically increased.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread