billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some garage sale mornings, you'll find nothing, but the odds here in North Central Texas favor finding something 95% of the time.... I never know what I'll see, buy, or bring home.....

On our way to a Saturday sale listed in the local paper, that was outside the city limits, I saw a sign that said, "Barn Sale" and it gave a road name and house number..... IT wasn't listed.... That's the place I found the Aluminum and Copper.... At first I asked about 30ft. of #12 flexible 3-wire extension cord, and again about the heavy 12' lenght of #2 dual conductor copper cables. Then, I pulled out a 50 ft roll of #1/0 welding cable copper, which has copper the size of a 1/2" bolt, and saw another roll of wire. It was a large roll about 4' in diameter. I counted 14 continuous loops. Using Pi (3.14) time the guessimated 4' diameter, I quickly calculated it to be at least 175 feet of 2/0 aluminum wiring with dual cables wrapped around a bare aluminum support cable/Neutral... The lady checked a spiral notebook for prices of things. She said her husband based the price on what he thought they would sell for at the scrapyard..... All that wire came to $27.00.....

In the dim light of a 7:30 a.m. Friday morning garage sale, I bought 9 items and found one was just costume jewelry.... so I lost a quarter today.... ;>) For $2.25, at .25-cents each, in tiny plastic bags, I found 59 grams of silver, worth about $45.00. I found an unmarked gold bar-pin with a small broach with a clear bezel hanging from it.

The gold bezel is marked 1/20 of 12kt. g.f. (gold fill) and has gold nugget flakes in between the glass. I don't know how to price the gold filled bezel and pin..... IN the picture below, you'll also see an even smaller lapel pin with the words: "Try God". On the back, it is stamped "Tiffany and Co." , "Sterling".

It appears the upper income neighborhoods that sell jewelry in their garage, although it may very well be .925 silver, it's "out of style".... When I don't see jewelry, I've started asking if they have any. Almost every seller either points to it or those that don't have any are now answering with the same words... "Several others asked for jewelry, too." So, competition has increased, and about the only way to have a chance at silver or gold is to get out early, early, early.... and ask, ask, ask....

The possible white gold earrings (not pictured) will have to be tested to know, but the ear posts have 585 stamped on them. I've learned that 585 is a European number for 14kt..... IF they are gold, the 9.2 grams are worth over $200.00.... if not, I lost another quarter....

Keep looking to see what you can find..."The Metal is Out There" !!

Bill

Attachments

• Copy of P1010264.JPG
    Copy of P1010264.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 719
  • P1010263.JPG
    P1010263.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 742
  • Copy of P1010259.JPG
    Copy of P1010259.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 734

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Nice haul. I'd bet the earrings marked 585 are good to go. I've bought many items stamped 585 without a single fake.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billjustbill said:
Almost every seller either points to it or those that don't have any are now answering with the same words... "Several others asked for jewelry, too." So, competition has increased, and about the only way to have a chance at silver or gold is to get out early, early, early.... and ask, ask, ask....
In my neck of the woods I hear that a lot "your the 3rd person to ask that today" Why am I always the 3rd person? >:( maybe if I drive a little faster :icon_pirat:

Saturday was brass day! 14.5lbs of it for $4.50 I bought it a little at a time. Also bought $10 face on silver coins. 90% JFK's and Monroe 50¢ commerative and Morgans and peace $$. You know my usual questions. All were answered with no. no coins, no gold, no jewelry. But we talked a bit, he was an ex-coin collectoer that already sold all his coins. (he did offer me a big box of playboy mags from the 80-90's for free but I declined, probably no money in those) So as I was getting in my car he called me back and asked if I wanted to see what coins he had left. (I thought he didn't have any?) I said sure and got a bunch of circulated ones. Mostly JFK 90% and some large cents too. I made a deal for what he wanted to sell, he knew silver so I didn't get a big break. As I was leaving again he asked what dental crowns are worth. (again, I didn't think he had and gold?) seems his uncle died a long time ago and he got the teeth. I told him I couldn't even make a guess because I had to test and weigh, so I have him my "gold" card and hope to get an email from him soon.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdhrdr007 said:
Mostly JFK 90% and some large cents too.

In addition to being a silver/gold hunter I collect coins. Tell me more about the Large Cents.
I wish I could sorry. Every coin he had had a white gummed label wrapped around it with the coins date and a dollar amount written on it. He couldn't remember if it was from the red or blue book and when he did it.

If he calls me back to make an offer on the gold teeth should I make an offer on them? How much? I could tell they are circulated.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Too bad the old guy didn't have 50's-60's Playboys-they are worth bucks in good condition

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I wish I could sorry. Every coin he had had a white gummed label wrapped around it with the coins date and a dollar amount written on it. He couldn't remember if it was from the red or blue book and when he did it.

If he calls me back to make an offer on the gold teeth should I make an offer on them? How much? I could tell they are circulated.

I wish there was an easy way for me to tell you what to offer. it's all about condition & scarcity.......throw in the fact that while I'm a collector I'm also cheap so you would be better off selling on ebay anyway. Your best bet would be to take a look at sold auctions on ebay to get a base line figure for well worn common dates. That way if the prices he has marked were from several years ago you would know if you could make money on a worst case basis. Buying that way would keep you out of trouble & allow you to get a bonus if anything was rare or in better condition.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MrBling said:
Too bad the old guy didn't have 50's-60's Playboys-they are worth bucks in good condition
yep still looking for the first issue, has Marilyn Monroe on the cover. BIG BUCKS. Big other things too :o

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I want to comment on the 1/20 12k GF.

This is how you calculate that out- it's easy!

Weigh the item. Take that value and divide by 20. This is your 12K weight. Since 12K is 50% gold, cut the weight in 1/2 for a pure gold value. A nice heavy chain will reward you with 1+ gram of pure gold. That's $40 or more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread