Ebay / Hunting questions and answers thread.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to start this question and answer thread to help people ( and myself ) get better at selling on ebay. To keep this thread in line with the GS section, lets post finds or sales with our questions.

I'll ask the first question. I have had some serious issued with shipping pyrex nesting bowls in the mail. Anyone have a proven packing technique that isn't huge?

Something to look for: I have been sold 4 video game strategy guides in the past 5 days. I payed about $1.00 for each one. Dungeon Siege strat guide sold for $9.99, Final Fantaxy IX sold for $13.99, and Zelda N64 Mask of Majora sold for $22.49. Zelda stuff is pretty popular.

Also if you find any of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/WICKED-LASERS-S...443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e616ec5db

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
famous turtle treasures said:
I'll ask the first question. I have had some serious issued with shipping pyrex nesting bowls in the mail. Anyone have a proven packing technique that isn't huge?

I'll have to let you know, I'm selling a set this week. I have shipped individual ones but this will be the first set. Plan is to wrap each one in lots of small bubble wrap (I can get tons at work), use a 18x14x14 box, bubble between pieces, fragile stickers all over, and roll the dice.. :)
Always make sure you get enough shipping $$.

No pics, but based on my good luck selling "North Face" Jackets, I picked-up two "Fred Perry" Track Jackets today at the small local thrift store for a total of $15. Also got a new in package workout dvd, I think someone said sells well. Lots of high-end name cloths at this store, I guess because its a high income town. If the jackets sell well, I'll be going back for more...

Link to an identical jacket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-FRED-PERRY...US_Men_s_Athletic_Apparel&hash=item2c5a80130f

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been leary about sending glass/breakable items out in the mail because of possibility of something breaking. A few days ago I went to the post office and they asked the usual ...is there anything perishable, breakable, ect... in your package and I gave my usual, "no nothing", but then added "so what if there is something breakable". The post master said they would make sure it was marked fragile well and would ask how it was packed because they won't allow something that wasn't packed right and if something wasn't packed right they would not sell the insurance for the item. So I asked the question, "what's the best way of sending breakable things in the mail because I have some glass and pyrex I want to send out?". First thing he said was don't use newspaper, it settles as it's shipped & bounced around, and then things get broken. Next he said the best thing to do was wrap each piece in bubble wrap, put a pillow of peanuts on the bottom of a box, then put in the item, and fill in around the item with peanuts and finally put a pillow of peanuts on top of the item. He guarenteed this was the best way of shipping because the peanuts won't settle in the box from shipping and are strong enough to withstand being crushed. He also said to go to computer stores for peanuts because their stuff is all shippied in peanuts and they give them away.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've almost completely quit shipping any type of dishes or anything made of glass and pottery. I'd don't normally look for these fragile items, so I don't get them often. Sure, if I found a worthwhile item, I'd list and ship it, but otherwise, it just isn't worth the time, trouble, work, and risk of shipping a $10 fragile item.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with all glassware, because thats what I was most interested in. I have since moved on to less fragile stuff, but I still sell quite a bit of glassware. I guess I just like the challenge. Not to mention the dorothy thorpe glassware I find goes anywhere from $30 to - $150.

I went shopping after work today. Found a few things, but nothing spectacular.

TI-82 graphing calculator. $20-30

Hollywood Regency Syroco Key wall clock.
This exact one http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLLYWOOD-REGEN...rative_Arts&hash=item53e60f051a#ht_499wt_1159

Hollwood Regency Faux bamboo napkin rings from Fifth Avenue New York.

Cool little vintage gold sphere lamp. Never seen one like this before it should be a good one.

1989 big foot monster truck model sealed.
Like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-AMT-BIG...ultDomain_0&hash=item33648a3a36#ht_499wt_1159

I still have a whole room of stuff to list, but I am addicted to hunting lol.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trick with shipping fragile items is to make sure it is packed very tightly in the box with no play and use bubble wrap with tape for the individual item/s. I use old newspaper, grocery store bags and any other packing material I can find for free, pack it (entirely) around the item that is already wrapped and taped in bubble wrap.

My question would be (actually it's more of a comment or a peave) What can one do to keep new buyers
(0 feedback) from bidding? or more importantly how to get them to pay. It seems recently i've been having problems with relatively new ebayers not paying for items they've won. Anyone else have this problem? Can I put in my listing bidders with 0 feedback or new members can't bid? Probably not huh?

Sold some salt and peppers this week, a set of Shawnee dutch boy & girl went for $15 paid $1, a set of majolica ones shaped like oranges paid $1 sold for $11.06, a ben franklin half dollar paperweight paid .50 sold for $20.50 and many others......

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
What can one do to keep new buyers
(0 feedback) from bidding?

You used to be able to block buyers below a certain feedback number that you picked (mine was below 10). they have changed that to -1 or lower, which is a riot since buyers don't receive negative feedback since may 2008.

There is also no way to force buyers to pay on an auction.

You might try posting on seller central at ebay. I haven't sold there for several years, they might have better advice.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
diggummup said:
My question would be (actually it's more of a comment or a peave) What can one do to keep new buyers
(0 feedback) from bidding? or more importantly how to get them to pay. It seems recently i've been having problems with relatively new ebayers not paying for items they've won. Anyone else have this problem? Can I put in my listing bidders with 0 feedback or new members can't bid? Probably not huh?

Yes, I have had the same problem with the "0 feedback" bidders. Waste my time opening up a case, contacting them and getting no response(s), never getting paid, relisting. Big pain. The only positive is sometimes I get more $$ after relisting.
Only thing I thought of was having a standard note in all my listings about not bidding unless you have min. 10 feedback ratings or something like that. But feebay probably would not allow it? Plus, would anyone actually read it or follow it...

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep unfortunately there is no way to stop them from bidding at auctions, but if you use fixed listings like myself, you can select require immediate payment on buy it now. That way if they try to buy something they have to pay on the spot.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not exactly sure what they are used for, but they are definately not toys. I turned it on, and just looking at the beam pointed away from me started to make my eyes feel funny.

Its a 1Watt laser rated up to +400NM. They pop balloons, and can burn wood.

There is a waiting list of 6 months to recieve one. The guy I sold it for paid like $240.00 and I sold it for $350.00

Probably not something your going to stumble upon, but you never know.

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
You can stop 0 feedback bidders on ebay by canceling their bid and placing them on your Blocked Bidders list (This is allowed under ebays policies). But just remember everyone has to start somewhere and a 0 feedback bidder may turn out to be a repeat customer. Ebay has changed alot since 1999 when I started using it and you can no longer leave negative feedback for a buyer, so all buyers will have 100% positive if they use their account only for buying.

I Believe you can state in your auctions that buyers below a certain feedback should contact you before bidding, but this makes alot of well established buyers pass up your listing for fear that you may not have good customer service or that you may be a difficult seller.

For myself, I dont sell internationally because that can be a pain but I have done it in the past and had no issues, domestic buyers can be just as bad if not worse.

The #1 thing I can advise is to check a buyers feedback profile and then click feedback left for others. If there is alot of negatives or neutrals, Cancel their bid and put them on your blocked bidders list and move on. 1 negative for a low volume seller can spell the end of your selling days at ebay.

Check out the discussion forums and the answer center on ebay and it will tell you more than you want to know.

olivia11dancer

Jan 27, 2011
Yes, you can cancel their bids. I once listed a Harley davidson motorcycle for a friend of mine. A guy placed and bid on the bike. I looked at his feedback and he had a history of not paying for his purchases. He had bid on other bikes and not paid for them. I blocked him from buying that bike.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone here use terapeak, worthpoint, or any of those other ebay data research sites? I'm curious if any of them are worth it.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else use a smartphone to research on the go?

I just got a new G2 andriod, and it has already saved me from making some bad purchases.

olivia11dancer

Jan 27, 2011
Yes, it's great isn't it! You will find that it is very handy when you are browsing the shops, but at garages sales it's too time consuming to mess with.

BigRichDownTheShore

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2012
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone sold stuff on Ebid? Their listing fees are low. I was just wondering if anyone used them because I am getting tired of the e-bay fees and non-paying bidders.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigRichDownTheShore said:
Has anyone sold stuff on Ebid? Their listing fees are low. I was just wondering if anyone used them because I am getting tired of the e-bay fees and non-paying bidders.

All other sites are going to basically suck unless you already have a strong following of buyers.

I get tired of people complaining about ebay fees. Seriously, they have 15+ years of advertising under their belt already. They are an household name. ebid isn't an household name. Sell better stuff if the fees are really bothering you. You know the fees BEFORE you go to list an item. They aren't something that is hidden and secret that gets thrown at you after the auction ends.

Where else can you sell items for these kinds of prices with lower fees so easily?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread