Thrift Store silver *update with photo*

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Pics to come when I remove the wax.

I was browsing my favorite thrift store today any noticed a cream cup and sugar cup that looked like silver.
I picked them up and noticed they said sterling weighted....priced at $5.99 each I took a gamble(not much of one). lol

Currently ripping them apart...I took off the non-weighted part and so far have 76 grams of sterling for $12.70 after tax....

I've never dealt with silver before, so I'm looking for advice...should I sell it to a refiner, trade it for bars(through a refiner), or make my own bars(just melt it and pour into a bar mold so it would be sterling bars)?

If I should send it to a refinery, any info on the best one with good turn around/% of spot paid would be appreciated as well.

Thanks all and happy hunting.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Re: Thrift Store silver

Stay away from pawn shops and "WE BUY GOLD AND SILVER" places if you want to get a good payoff. So yes, I would send it to a refinery of some sort.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Bummer dude. Sometimes collectible value outweighs intrinsic value. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned. You still made out alright w/the scrap price vs. what you paid.

OP
OP
Ghondi

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Yeah. I'm a bit bummed, but your right I still made out decent and its a lesson learned.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah bummer, I would recommend only scrapping items that are banged up badly. Even then make sure to research the item before you scrap it.

There are many lessons to be learned, sucks when you have to learn em the hard way.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
Never trust a buy it now price alot of sellers jack the price up way more then actual value..phishing for a sucker
I hear ya but...Thing is, the completed listings show 4 sets sold ranging in price from $69.90 to $269.99. 2 buyitnow sold for the most. I searched "Hamilton Sterling Silver Sugar" in completed listings.

OP
OP
Ghondi

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

diggummup- Thats how I came to my conclusion as well, although the one that sold for over $200 was not weighted, and mine is...

Anyone have a good place they can recommend to get it refined and/or sell to?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
Never trust a buy it now price alot of sellers jack the price up way more then actual value..phishing for a sucker
I hear ya but...Thing is, the completed listings show 4 sets sold ranging in price from $69.90 to $269.99. 2 buyitnow sold for the most. I searched "Hamilton Sterling Silver Sugar" in completed listings.
well then the poster did screw up, I did that once way back when I first started with silver scrap I don't remember the maker but I do remember it was either chased or repousse

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I try to not mess with stuff immediately. We assume we know what we are doing - I've learned to assume that I don't.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ghondi said:
I just realized I NEED to look things up before I rip them apart.

Checked into the hallmark. Ca 1900 Hamilton Sterling Silver Sugar/Creamer Set
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ca-1900-Hamilto...691453?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item58868fc67d
One currently for sale. :'(

Are you 100% positive that this is the same set? The reason I'm asking is because 99.9% of the thrift stores now look items up online before the put them out on the floor. Nobody wants to be on the losing end of a 9 p.m news story about the "lucky lady who bought a painting at Goodwill for $3 and it's really worth 1.5 million."

I see it happen all the time where common items are put under glass at outrageous prices because they saw one online or something.

Too bad if it is...

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

WIT said:
Ghondi said:

Are you 100% positive that this is the same set? The reason I'm asking is because 99.9% of the thrift stores now look items up online before the put them out on the floor. Nobody wants to be on the losing end of a 9 p.m news story about the "lucky lady who bought a painting at Goodwill for $3 and it's really worth 1.5 million."

I see it happen all the time where common items are put under glass at outrageous prices because they saw one online or something.

Too bad if it is...
i seen 1 candle holder that was weighted for 150.00 at a thrift ..outragous!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

WIT said:
Ghondi said:
I just realized I NEED to look things up before I rip them apart.

Checked into the hallmark. Ca 1900 Hamilton Sterling Silver Sugar/Creamer Set
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ca-1900-Hamilto...691453?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item58868fc67d
One currently for sale. :'(

Too bad if it is...

I am certain that this is true. I think what happens is that thrift stores look up items before they hit the shelves. I think that anything that makes it through is either determined to be of little value OR they don't know what they have. This is where we come in and hopefully ID that valuable piece and pick it up on the cheap.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Many thrift stores sift through the donations and list the better things on ebay. This is always the case with Goodwill and Salvation Army now. You also have to compete with employees that sell on ebay because if they don't get the 1'st pick of the litter, they definitely get the second.

The thing that REALLY ticks me off is that sometimes I'll go into a Salvation Army and they actually have a printout from ebay or amazon taped to the object to show you how much it's worth or selling for but it's ALWAYS an active auction and not a completed sale. So lame!

You can still find deals every now an then but they're few and far between. My last score was a vintage Peugeot women's 10 speed that I bought for $49.99 and sold it on craigslist the next day for $180.

I'm pretty much done with thrift stores unless I've never been there before and I need to satisfy my curiosity.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do the majority of hunting at thrift stores especially goodwill and value village. I remember the first time I went in and was looking around and I thought everything was so expensive then I realized that things only looked expensive because I had no idea what the stuff was worth.

I almost counted thrift stores out then I got angry at the thrift stores and started going more often to prove that they couldn't beat me at their pricing game.

My sales in the last 15 days

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/famo...&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_sop=16&_sc=1

90% of these sales are from thrift stores, and all are 100% profit minimum most are +500% profit or more.

Count em out if you like but theres plenty of money to be made.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

famous turtle treasures said:
I do the majority of hunting at thrift stores especially goodwill and value village. I remember the first time I went in and was looking around and I thought everything was so expensive then I realized that things only looked expensive because I had no idea what the stuff was worth.

I almost counted thrift stores out then I got angry at the thrift stores and started going more often to prove that they couldn't beat me at their pricing game.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/famo...&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_sop=16&_sc=1

90% of these sales are from thrift stores, and all are 100% profit minimum most are +500% profit or more.

Right on... I've been doing the same thing for the past 12 years but it's getting harder around here.

Value Village was one of my last favorite thrift stores until they started ebaying the good picks. Maybe that's just a Minnesota thing though since this is where the base is. Providing we're talking about the same store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Arcs-Value-Village-Online

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

famous turtle treasures said:

I am impressed with your online store. Great finds and even better descriptions. I think the descriptions combined with great pics is making you sell very well! I was the most impressed with your "steampunk" lamp.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right on... I've been doing the same thing for the past 12 years but it's getting harder around here.

Value Village was one of my last favorite thrift stores until they started ebaying the good picks. Maybe that's just a Minnesota thing though since this is where the base is. Providing we're talking about the same store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Arcs-Value-Village-Online

[/quote]

Yeah we are talking about the same chain. I didn't realize they were even selling stuff on ebay. You are in Minnesota? I am originally from South Central Minnesota. The midwest is a hot spot for mid century decor. Olivia11dancer who is my mother still lives there, and her finds and sales make mine look like crap.

I just recently sold a clock that I paid $90.00 at the value village for $250.00 Just because they look the stuff on ebay doesn't mean they truly know how to interpret the prices which can work out in your favor.

I am kicking myself for not picking up a rembrant floor lamp for $75.00 a couple of weeks ago.

jerseyben said:
I am impressed with your online store. Great finds and even better descriptions. I think the descriptions combined with great pics is making you sell very well! I was the most impressed with your "steampunk" lamp.

Thanks, research and keywords are really the key to selling well. There is also a physiological side to ebay which is my favorite part. All you need is one person to perceive an item the same way you do, and value it the same way you do and you have a sale, which is what I did with that "steampunk" lamp.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, research and keywords are really the key to selling well. There is also a physiological side to ebay which is my favorite part. All you need is one person to perceive an item the same way you do, and value it the same way you do and you have a sale, which is what I did with that "steampunk" lamp.

You nailed it. That's the stuff right there.

I've always joked that I could write a good enough description to sell the lint from my belly button :laughing7:

For real though, if I find something to be cool, I know for a fact that some other people will too. It's fun to roll the dice and see what numbers turn up.

Keep doing your thing :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread