I cant believe I took a pic and walked away . . .

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I can't believe I took a pic and walked away . . .

Hey Yard Sailors . . .

I hit a slew of sales today, but I wanted to show a pic of one that got away, or maybe I was the one that escaped?

Seth Thomas clock, gold plated face. Not running, missing front glass door. A couple of abrasions on the wood body, but not cracked or dented.

The granddaughter of a neighbor brought it over moments before I saw it according to the lady who was selling it. The price was "I want $50 but will take $40".

I didn't have $40 in my pocket that late on my rounds, but I could have left a deposit and been back in 10 minutes. I didn't make an offer, but I did snap this picture. I saw the exact model with a much less attractive face (but working) on eBay right now with a $220 bid on it and the auction isn't over yet. Here's the link to that auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250870759050&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

So, if you had not seen the eBay link, would you have bought it or not?

Attachments

• GotAway.jpg
    GotAway.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 839

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I can't believe I took a pic and walked away . . .

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have bought it. But I also never buy clocks and don't know the value of them when they are as-is like this.

I would have been thinking... Yeah, it's cool, but I don't need another project or something sitting in the corner collecting dust that I can't decide if I want to sell it or not.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have bought it. I passed one up at Gwill, I recongized the name but was not for sure. Clock only had a chip in the wood frame and was selling for 5 bucks.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have passed it up as well.....

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know a bit about clocks. I'd have passed.

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

Thanks for all your input. I thought I'd posted a reply already but it seems it didn't go. It looks like the majority vote is "Don't".

I do want to point out that if you check all the Seth Thomas Clocks on eBay right now, the one at the yard sale has one of the best looking faces, with all the scroll-work and gilding, in my opinion.

I thought I found the right yard sale in Craigslist and sent an email. I'd decided to buy but they didn't respond.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio

I have bought a clock and made money, but it was rather inexpensive buy. That much money without the knowledge, would have passed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread