diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of the craziest CL yard sale ads i've seen in a while. Do you have any to share?
Posted in the South Fl. Craigslist this morning-

THE MOST INTERESTING GARAGE SALE IN THE WORLD!! NOV 5 @ 7AM - ? (Lake Worth)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funeral processions have been known to stop here first, just to browse.

Wall Street believes this garage sale will return the United States to a AAA credit rating

An inordinate amount of items bought at previous sales have ended up on American Roadshow

After attending previous sales, many buyers have included it on their resume.

So many people browse at this sale that there is bound to be someone in a rainbow wig holding a sign "John 3:16"

Garage sale veterans camp out on the sidewalk up to 3 days before the sale.

American Pickers stole our idea.

Even Haitians insist on paying full price

Come on for incredible bargains at our garage sale, located on Heathley Drive, off of Charleston Blvd in beautiful Lake Charleston in West Boynton Beach. If you are only going to one garage sale, this would be the one! We open at 7 AM and will close when we pass out. We are cleaning up and have great stuff to choose from with prices better than sex. Such as:

Enough DVDs to open a Blockbuster store (including copies of Open Water)
Books! (hardcover & paperback)
CD's (maybe 2,000!!)
Playstation games
Vintage Lionel Trains
Antique Mantle Clock
Sheila Collectible Houses
Sound Percussion Drum Set
Starting Lineups
Beanie Babies (hundreds. . .they multiple like Tribbles)
Nippon porcelain
Sport Cards
Beer Tap Markers
Porcelain Dolls
Fishing poles
Fishing reels
Fishing tackle
Antiques
Audio Books
Watches
Furniture
Knick Knacks
Collectibles
Precious Moments
Woodchipper
Collector plates
Ezra Brook Liquor decantors
Vacuum cleaners
Vintage advertising pieces
Plants
Art (print, watercolor, oils)
Glassware
Lamps

You will want to stay here all day shopping but please seek professional medical assistance continue to shop here for four hours or more,.

This will be the garage sale your garage sale buddies will be buzzing about so get here early and bring lots of cash and a pick up truck because you will want to load up!

From Hypoluxo Road go south on Hagens Ranch Road and then right on Charleston Shore Blvd, second right is Heathley Drive. We'll be the house with the crowd of shoppers in front.

Shoppers, we cannot confirm a special guest appearance from Jose & Mary or from Scooter John, but save a parking spot for them anyway because they buy lots of stuff. It's possible Brian Trusky will also appear to sign copies of his classic thriller "Open Waters"

Valet parking available, please see Phil.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, a yard sale with that kind of publicity, I wouldn't waste my gas to see if anything was left.
very interesting though, Thanks for posting.
Bill

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was too far for me to go to but I thought it was funny, I read it when I was checking CL this morning before leaving. :read2:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
It was too far for me to go to but I thought it was funny, I read it when I was checking CL this morning before leaving. :read2:
oh heck Dig's I was waiting all day to see if it was as great as they said it was.. I think it probly was a spam listing..

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Wish I saved the one I read a couple of months ago.
"Italian Yard Sale"
The list of items fit the heading.

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA
This one was pretty good....kinda long but be sure to read the bottom half under Garage Sale Etiquette:

OK folks, this is our first and last sale of the year for us. For those with ADD/ADHD it's Saturday from 8-12 at 140 E high (several blocks west of high and grand). Yes, this is in Spokane WA. Now for the rest of you...

If you visited last year you are in for a real treat this time! Several families are bringing over their lightly used wares and unneeded items to pass on inexpensively to you, the discerning public. We have collectively taken enough of everyone else's garage sale, moving sale, craft sale, yard sale, estate sale, craigslist and 'generous' friends/family free stuff, along with our own unique bizarre shopping habits full of "you won't believe what I found at the mall/office supply/home improvement store that should REALLY improve our quality of life" and now is the time to return the favor.

Early birds ARE WELCOME...we have plenty of yard cleanup equiptment that you can use until the sale actually opens to everyone at 8am sharp. This is a very inventive way for you to help the environment (by turning off your car), stay warm (last year it actually snowed on us), get into shape (we could all use a little bit more exercise), and most importantly... not distract us while we are setting up (you wouldn't want us to charge you double?). Don't make me pull a "Cash and Cari" / hand out the numbers routine, so there is an orderly start. Hoss is not here for crowd control but I am. Let's play nice (see below).

The goal is to clean out my garage, help my friends and neighbors do the same, let you walk away with some ridiculous bargains on stuff you never thought you needed (trust me ...I picked up a $3 "floating chipping green" recently and I have nothing to float it in), and donate the remainder so I can be charitable and get a tax break...then finish whatever yard work wasn't done by the early birds. Prices will be generally 25% - 35% of thrift store prices. This is our breakeven for tax purposes.

Some of the items so far include:
Upright Freezer
Dresser w/ mirror
Curio cabinet
Alder dining table w/chairs and buffet / hutch
(see below pics on above)
plus another solid 8"+ dining room table
computer parts etc.
Office equiptment and supplies
Surround sound stereo system
basketball hoop/backboard
garage bike rack
clothes that we have never/lighty worn
Kids play stuff
Sports equipment
Tools (power and otherwise)
Colored wire bins
kitchen utensils
home decorating items
mystery items and of course a FREE pile which you are required to take SOMETHING from
There are absolutely no collectables, antiques, model trains, WWII memorabilia. knives, guns or any other item a professional garage saler (you know who you are) might want offered at this sale or anything else that might be considered for a surprise appraisal on the Antiques Roadshow. I can't in good concscience even claim this to be a "LIVING estate sale".

Mention this ad, let me know you voted it for the 'best of craigslist' ... additional discounts may be given.

What we are looking for, in return, are used bricks, very large rocks to landscape with, heavy duty lawn edging, and used books that can be donated for Odyssey Schools annual fundraising event. Just bring the stuff with you to unload.

No emails since we are getting set up for this monster event.

See below for pics of some of the furniture items and one just for fun. No squirrels were actually harmed any more than they already were in the creation of this ad.

As homage to someone greater than I... I really liked the sentiment of these folks back in 2009 who were voted into immortality on the "best of craigslist" (slight changes made) and the general concept applies to our sale...

Garage Sale Etiquette:

Hello buyers and thank you for coming to our garage sale.

I know our newspaper ad and signs say that we open at 8 am, but if you arrive at 7:00, go ahead and ring the doorbell several times and peer into the windows until we answer. We'll open up early for you.

Feel free to show up with your unleashed dog, and of course, let him poop in the front yard. Our lawn-boy will clean that up later.

For your convenience, we've taken the time to mark (most) everything with a price. But go ahead and keep asking, "How much do you want for this?"

In the mood for a cigarette? Come into the garage and light it on up. Grandpa doesn't mind if you blow the smoke right into his face. He's only on an oxygen tank. It's probably good for him anyway. And just leave the butts on the garage floor or flick them into the yard. We'll take care of those for you too. It's my mistake for not having an ashtray available.

And I know 25 cents is a fairly steep price. So let's haggle for 5 minutes about it. I don't have anything else to do today.

Also, pick up a bunch of items and then tell me what they remind you of. Be sure to tell me about every aspect of your life. Don't leave anything out. I'd love to hear all about you. And when you put the item back, just throw it in a completely different spot, upside down or just all wadded up.

Your McDonald's breakfast is going right through you, isn't it? Of course you can come in and use our bathroom. Be sure to look in the medicine cabinet for any prescription meds you might need. And there's some spray up in the window in case you drop a deuce. Hope everything comes out ok!

Wow, you want to buy all of our grandmother's antiques and at our full asking price?! Oh, but you don't have any cash with you. Well yes, you can certainly write us a check and then drive off with the merchandise! No worries. I'm sure you're an honest person. Next time, we'll try to be prepared to accept credit and debit cards.

As you leave, be sure to rev up the engine several times, blast the salsa music and then lay a scratch as you drive away. It's loud, but oh so cool. Have a great day!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
cyberdan said:
Treasurekidd said:
Again, it's not a yard sale ad, but it's an interesting sales tactic. I'm sure it caught the eye of a more than a few bottle collectors. Bottle? What bottle?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Mou...418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bfb5e4ea

OK, I want a show of hands. How many of you clicked on the ENLARGE photo button? :nono:
Well I didn't click the link at all til you asked that so I had too see what was there Dan..lol it was a nice jug I mean bottle

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J-dude said:
This one was pretty good....kinda long but be sure to read the bottom half under Garage Sale Etiquette:
Good one for sure.

Treasurekidd said:
Again, it's not a yard sale ad, but it's an interesting sales tactic. I'm sure it caught the eye of a more than a few bottle collectors. Bottle? What bottle?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Mou...418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bfb5e4ea
Heres one for you guys-

yard_sale.jpg

As much as I hate to do this---

And the girls too!

yard_sale-1.jpg

Slickymcgee

Jul 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here guys, you gave me great ideas so Ill share my own...this is my personal gem...came up with this for my ad campaign!

I DON’T ALWAYS HAVE GARAGE SALES ,
BUT WHEN I DO...

Rick Harrison and Dave Hestnor pay retail prices.

Item purchase themselves.

Pictures browse the sale.

Rome would have been built in a day had they shopped this sale first.

All items presented have increased the value of similar items worldwide.

THIS IS THE MOST INTERESTING GARAGE SALE IN THE WORLD...

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was a sign I saw at a yard sale. There was a table with a stack of cabinet card pics of various people.
The sign read; "Instant Ancestors!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread