leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
after wasting 20 bucks in gas driving around and thinking the day was a bust, i stopped at a sale that had a lot of over priced junk jewelery. i mean 10 bucks for plated rings
and just junk. then i spotted a tie clip with a gold coin, first thought, "i seen those plated coin rings before". but i flipped it over and could see the back looked real.
the tie clip itself reads anson 12k g.f., that's why it was still there on the table for 2 days!
so for 11 bucks i have my first gold coin.
i cut it out of the tie clip as i wanted to weigh it just to make sure it was real, yep 4.2 grams.
however it looks like it might have been soldered onto something else at some point in its 155 year history.
its on the back and looks like it was scraped off, they did a good job getting it off but still some remains.
anyone know how to get that off? acid maybe.
also yesterday i got 56 grams of sterling spoons that have the bowl of the spoon made from 10/12s fino bolivia coins and
a sterling ww11 pilots wings.

i still have problems posting pics, ill try my use account and see if it post them.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Great job!!

Sales are pretty dead here. DA I am, I got up early for an estate sale that was last weekend!
Hit one garage sale on the way back and pick up a nice North Face Jacket for $5 to resale. Three newer high-end Xbox360 Games for $12 (resell). Two not so framed Limited Disney Cells for $5ea. 2 air pistols with many clips and 1 air rifle, plus thousands of ammo for $15. Kids will use them for a while, then I'll resell when they are just sitting around.

Keep up the great finds!

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
Nice find

First ask your local coin shop or call a major dealer to see if it is cleanable.

You might take it to a jeweler to get the solder removed. Go to one of the small local shops that actually repairs jewelry. They can probably get the solder off, clean it and make it look good for a jewelry piece.
R

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Randyd said:
Nice find

First ask your local coin shop or call a major dealer to see if it is cleanable.

You might take it to a jeweler to get the solder removed. Go to one of the small local shops that actually repairs jewelry. They can probably get the solder off, clean it and make it look good for a jewelry piece.
R
Can you get close ups of this coin? I just looked it up in the redbook an it isn't worth any less then 250.00 (if you can get solder off without damaged done) but there is one worth thousands.. I think it is a 1856 2 1/2 d, this correct? I would like to see both sides if possible...

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The C is worth a decent chunk but the D is Big money with only 874 minted.

This one looks like there is no Mintmark. Philadelphia Mint produced 384,240 in 1856 so not a lot out there to begin with.

Great find! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1856 2.5.jpg
    1856 2.5.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,100

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
DigginThePast said:
The C is worth a decent chunk but the D is Big money with only 874 minted.

This one looks like there is no Mintmark. Philadelphia Mint produced 384,240 in 1856 so not a lot out there to begin with.

Great find! :icon_thumright:
I do believe that is a O thanks for the close up.. now we need to figure out the grade.. It isn't worth any less then 300.00 but I am think the grade is much higher so I am thinking atleast 800.00 that is for extra fine graded (if you can get the solder off) for a coin worth that much I would bite the bullet an pay for professional cleaning an grading

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not seeing a Mintmark, just the arrow feathers. Of course that doesn't mean I'm right either, could just be my eyes. :D

Here is a pic of a Liberty Head without Mintmark. I agree, this is a decent coin that should be conserved.

Attachments

• 2.5 gold rev.jpg
    2.5 gold rev.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,289

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
DigginThePast said:
I'm not seeing a Mintmark, just the arrow feathers. Of course that doesn't mean I'm right either, could just be my eyes. :D

Here is a pic of a Liberty Head without Mintmark. I agree, this is a decent coin that should be conserved.
you are guess I am wrong you are right

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
With the solder present, even if it can be removed, I doubt this coin will ever be gradable or receive anything other than a "details" or "genuine" grade. Still a killer find for sure and congrats!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jerseyben said:
With the solder present, even if it can be removed, I doubt this coin will ever be gradable or receive anything other than a "details" or "genuine" grade. Still a killer find for sure and congrats!
I was saying something to my brother lastnight about this.. He said what if you got a soldering gun an just heated the solder it's self with the sip off the gun that it might just melt the solder off,but have the coin where the solder just dropsoff the coin an doesn't run.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
NICE! my dream is to find a gold coin that the seller is ignorant about. for $11 that is amazingggg, i probably wouldve offered $10 hehehe

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
If you are going to try to use a soldering iron to get it off be very careful not to scratch it.Get a small roll of solder wick from hobby lobby or radio shack or a electrician.Just put the solder wick on the solder and apply heat.It wont get it all off but will get a lot of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions