1914-D Lincoln Garage sale find. How would this grade?

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Got this at a yard sale in a Whitman board that was dated 1939 (it started of course in 1909 but only went to 1940). Most of the cents were taped in. This was the only key date. There was a 1909 VDB also and some early D and S mint marks. I asked how much and was told $6.
I'm looking for input or opinions on how this would grade. Also if it would be beneficial to have this sent to a professional grading service.

Attachments

• CIMG5421.jpg
    CIMG5421.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,329
  • CIMG5419.jpg
    CIMG5419.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,431
  • CIMG5421.jpg
    CIMG5421.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,326
  • CIMG5419.jpg
    CIMG5419.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,438

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Worth sending it off for grading/certification, nice fine.

I've seen some counterfeit 1914-D pennies before, they are generally modified 1944-D pennies. 1914 with added D marks are rarely seen. The mintmark on a genuine 1914-D is small and compact. From what I can see, you're appears genuine.

My guess from you picture, VF35.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!

I'd say, by the pics you posted, that it's a VG at the least to a Fine

Saw pennies in a half-dome paperweight this weekend, but the dates were in the 1960's. You did good.... :)

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi jnkhntr; Have it Pro Graded. Just one Grade can mean an extra $100 or more in your pocket. That reason alone would cover your Grading Expenses for sure ok. Because of the fact that they are usually in a lower Grade State due to weak dies at the Mint the coin is usually Graded at a Higher Grade than for a regularly struck coin ok. PEACE:RONB

PS: Let us know ok. :icon_thumright:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 bucks? Awesome score! :thumbsup: Congrats.

I'm not a huge fan of slabbing coins but I think you may benefit from doing it with this one.

I prefer PCGS; others may feel different.

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Absolutely go with PCGS. They tend to be more valuable, than other grading services, when you're ready to sell them. And since you have so little invested, in the purchase, a coin this rare is worth the price of authentification. NICE SCORE!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; By the way let us know what it comes back graded as ok. And if you sell it whatcha get ??? ;D ;D Thanks

PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
jnkhntr

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Thanks for all the replies.
I will be taking this coin to the F.U.N. Coin Show in Orlando next month. I think PCGS sets up a booth and does on site grading/certifications. I will let you know.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
There are a lot of fake 14-D's out there so slabbed examples go for more than raw coins. In general PCGS slabbed coins sell for more than the other reputable companies slabs with the same grade. However, if PCGS decides there is a problem with the coin they will put it in a genuine slab without a grade, & their prices to slab a coin are higher. I'm fairly certain the walkthrough service at a show is their most expensive slabbing option.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jnkhntr said:
I will be taking this coin to the F.U.N. Coin Show in Orlando next month. I think PCGS sets up a booth and does on site grading/certifications. I will let you know.

At the FUN show in Orlando this past summer, PCGS did not offer that service. I know the first FUN show of the year is always the
biggest with the release of the new year ASE's, that might make a difference.

OP
OP
jnkhntr

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
FreedomUIC said:
jnkhntr said:

At the FUN show in Orlando this past summer, PCGS did not offer that service. I know the first FUN show of the year is always the
I know they will be in the house PCGS TABLES #100-108 but I don't know if they will be doing in show grading. Were they in attendance at the summer show and not grading?

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
jnkhntr said:
FreedomUIC said:
jnkhntr said:

I know they will be in the house PCGS TABLES #100-108 but I don't know if they will be doing in show grading. Were they in attendance at the summer show and not grading?

Yes, they will have onsite grading there. $100 for 1 day service, $200 for 4 hours service.

OP
OP
jnkhntr

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
SEANO said:
jnkhntr said:
FreedomUIC said:
jnkhntr said:

Yes, they will have onsite grading there. $100 for 1 day service, $200 for 4 hours service.
WOOH! Looks like I'll find another option! Thanks!

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
jnkhntr said:
SEANO said:
jnkhntr said:
FreedomUIC said:
jnkhntr said:

WOOH! Looks like I'll find another option! Thanks!

You not kidding! I still have my four free submissions left from joining PCGS. Don't think I ever used last years either. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread