Scrap Book WWII Baltimore Girl . . .

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Man, that Cyberdan . . . I thought I had a treasure 'til he snapped me out of it with his 200+# of jewelry. And I'd trade for 10 lbs of unsearched booty.

I found this at an auction. I don't think anyone else could see beyond the crumbling paper. This is a scrap book of a girl coming of age in Baltimore during WWII. I didn't bother posting the numerous clippings of war with Japan. This thing made me weep a little when I realized how fully Camille lived her life, and how even H.S. graduates were still children in the 1940's. Below is less than half of my little scrap book. Click on any image for super-sized . . .

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like looking/reading stuff like that. Some real history there.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look for old scrapbooks like that. Really neat. Just those pages tells her life from 1st Communion thru writing to guys that were away at war.

what way the year span of this book? (1940 to 1948?)

she would have to be in her middle 80's by now.

:icon_thumright:
Bat you are from Balt, MD, right? Might be easy to track down her or her family. Or was it her family trying to get rid of grandma's stuff.

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
It was an estate auction - nobody cared about this stuff. I tried Googling her - Jean Camilla Goldsmith. Didn't get anywhere, but that was her maiden name.

Regarding dates, First Holy Communion was June 7, 1938. Her Junior Class Dance ticket says April 3, 1948. That's on the same page that she has all the soldiers addresses. I'm totally guessing - age 7 to age 17. That would make her about 77 in 2008.

I'm not going to keep this, nor search for her family to tell them what they basically threw away. It's going to ebay, just like everything else. I just wanted to introduce Camilla's around as an example of an especially interesting, even moving, scrapbook.
(Look, now I'm on a first-name basis with her, I gotta get rid of this before I get a crush or something.)

cyberdan said:
I always look for old scrapbooks like that. Really neat. Just those pages tells her life from 1st Communion thru writing to guys that were away at war.

what way the year span of this book? (1940 to 1948?)

she would have to be in her middle 80's by now.

:icon_thumright:
Bat you are from Balt, MD, right? Might be easy to track down her or her family. Or was it her family trying to get rid of grandma's stuff.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
batcap said:
I'm not going to keep this, nor search for her family to tell them what they basically threw away. It's going to ebay, just like everything else.
Thanks, I really enjoy personal history things like that.

I bought a scrapbook made by a teenage girl in the same time period. Only she was star struck and lived somewhere near Hollywood. It sold on feebay too.

My mother was also a starstruck teenager and she did live in Hollywood (two blocks from Pink's Hotdogs) and she tells the story that if it wasn't for Frank Sinatra none of her kid's would be here today. (I once asked her if Frankie was my father ;D, boy did she blush)

The story goes she was on the strip (Sunset Blvd) and saw Sinatra's car comming and she stepped into the street in front of his car and this sailor grabbed her and pulled her out of the way. They were both teenagers and this was right after WWII. Long story short the sailor was my dad and they had 11 kids and I am #1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread