What is it?

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
gsf1.jpg gsf.jpg

I love the looks of these, and buy them when I see them, (if they're cheap enough) and just stack them in my room, I got about 10...
Anyone know what they are? and Values?
Wickaboag

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wickaboag, looks like needlepoint to me.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Wickaboag, looks like needlepoint to me.

Thanks River Rat, you think they got any value?
all the garage sales around here seem to have them, not sure if it's a regional thing, I know my great grandmother made them for $$ back in her days. we got a few of hers.
Any information would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Wickaboag

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to say it's embroidery more than needlepoint. I remember the kits one could buy back in the day...I'm pretty sure they're still around these days. I have one (framed) that was given to me years ago by an elderly aunt, she is deceased now, but her gift has more sentimental value to me. I can't place a value on these, some of em are quite lovely as yours is. You can get a better idea by checking here... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=framed+embroidery&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Last edited:

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's not a regional thing. I see them all over the place in my area. Several of the Craft Stores have them hanging up for sale. Some of the really old and unusual ones shown on the Antiques Road Show are valued in the thousands. I think the Kits are still available in the Craft Stores. An internet search should turn up the Kits being offered.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again RR, and lost,
They seem to get bids at $10-30 range. I get them at garage sales for 50 cents-2$ max :D
Wooo! Hopefully I an sell them for $5 each at a yard sale >:D
Wicka

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to throw a lemon into all of this, but if you enlarge the close up photo, you can see where the ink was printed on, instead of any kind of needlework or embroidery. Sorry, real vintage embroidery, needlepoint or tapestries are worth a lot. Always carry a small loupe or magnifier to check the item out. If you notice where the grass blades cross the background there are several places where the tint crosses the thread. Dead giveaway. Keep looking though, I finally found the real deal recently and have already been offered $1500. The funny thing is, the real one didn't cost any more than the reproductions. I look for a lot of artwork, and the loupe is my best friend.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, most art appraisers estimate an attractive "wall hanger" at $50 retail, but like anything else; whatever the traffic will bear. I wasn't trying to throw cold water on anyone, but it is important, when selling art, to identify it as accurately as possible. That being said, there are a lot of people out there just trying to decorate, and don't care about authenticity. Most people who sell art would not knowingly decieve, but there are a plethora of reproductions out there; and it is easy for even "experts" to get fooled.

As you mentioned earlier, at 50 cents to $2, you can afford to make a lot of mistakes, if just one in a hundred is genuine, it's a paying proposition; and you can learn a lot from studying your reproductions. Just remember, that's a lot of reproductions to get rid of. I'm presently waist deep in reproductions right now with no real market.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, most art appraisers estimate an attractive "wall hanger" at $50 retail, but like anything else; whatever the traffic will bear. I wasn't trying to throw cold water on anyone, but it is important, when selling art, to identify it as accurately as possible. That being said, there are a lot of people out there just trying to decorate, and don't care about authenticity. Most people who sell art would not knowingly decieve, but there are a plethora of reproductions out there; and it is easy for even "experts" to get fooled.

As you mentioned earlier, at 50 cents to $2, you can afford to make a lot of mistakes, if just one in a hundred is genuine, it's a paying proposition; and you can learn a lot from studying your reproductions. Just remember, that's a lot of reproductions to get rid of. I'm presently waist deep in reproductions right now with no real market.

Just gunna throw them in a yard sale for 2.50 each. Will profit small, but still profit! Maybe larger ones for more.
I know you mean't well, and your knowledge is very much appreciated!
Wickaboag

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, that's at least a 4 or 5 color screen print. Probably not handmade, but pretty ambitious for what it is. I know nothing about needlepoint or cross-stiching, but the printing is impressive, at least.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, that's at least a 4 or 5 color screen print. Probably not handmade, but pretty ambitious for what it is. I know nothing about needlepoint or cross-stiching, but the printing is impressive, at least.

I guess that's a plus. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread