cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the front and back of an 1846 Seated Liberty silver dollar I bought today.
Do you coin guys notice anything unusual? Yes, it is counterfeit. The back has a CC mint mark. The first CC mintmark was 1877 and the MOTTO on the back didn't start till 1866. No problem, I will add this to my counterfeit collection. And yes I only paid $1

Attachments

• SEATED-1.jpg
    SEATED-1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 685
  • SEATED-2.jpg
    SEATED-2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 902

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Is it silver? I know you said in the title "silver dollar," but then you said it was counterfeit, so I figured it might not be silver.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it silver? I know you said in the title "silver dollar," but then you said it was counterfeit, so I figured it might not be silver.

Probably plated, and these modern fakes just contaminate coin collecting. Worth a dollar but only because if likely stops a future scam where someone loses more. Either that, or play money for a kid. Don't really see any point in collecting them, but different strokes for different folks!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea that sucks, I seen a video a few years ago of a chinese counterfeit operation/factory where they had 10+ gallon bins of every type of coin US you could think of from 1/2 cents, to $20 gold coins and even counterfeit state quarters, they also made counterfeit roman coins, that crap always makes its way to unsuspecting buyers...

I used to frequent the "spanish silver" section here on TNet and a few of the guys would post links to ebay pointing out the real coins from the fakes that people were selling as the real Reale, it was quit interesting as couldn't tell the difference but I guess if thats your nitch than you know how to spot the fakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is silver plated brass. Which I knew when I bought it because right in the center the brass had shown thru. The kid (18ish) I bought it from said others had told him it was fake too. He was glad for a real dollar.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably plated.........Don't really see any point in collecting them, but different strokes for different folks!
Yes, plated. I collect these because I can get them cheap and can't afford to collect the better rarer coins. I also have a 1909 S VDB cent in almost BU. It was GIVEN to me by a local coin dealer. It even fooled him and he paid good money for it. I also have 4 merc fakes. Can you pick them out?

Attachments

• merc-2.jpg
    merc-2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 426

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, plated. I collect these because I can get them cheap and can't afford to collect the better rarer coins. I also have a 1909 S VDB cent in almost BU. It was GIVEN to me by a local coin dealer. It even fooled him and he paid good money for it. I also have 4 merc fakes. Can you pick them out?

The two outside one are the real McCoy, the four inner are the fakes...... Guessing out my butt.....

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two outside one are the real McCoy, the four inner are the fakes...... Guessing out my butt.....
Yep, you are right. I bought hanfulls of mercs at a yard sale and spotted those immediatly. By the wear on them they were faked deacdes ago. But why? They are only common dimes. This was long before China came out of the Iron age.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people specifically collect fakes. The modern Chinese fakes are just junk though...
I love going to swap meets and touching my magnet to the larger coins to see what sticks. After I ask the price and then telling them they are FAKE.

Then I offer a dollar ;)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got handed a fake barber by a teller, only paid 50cents for it! I think it's either lead or pewter

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First let me say that if it gives you satisfaction collect anything you want. But I just can't wrap my head around spending anything on Chinese fake coins, and I would not take them even if they were free. (well I would to throw them in the garbage) What these people do plays a part to destroy the hobby, and just like every dollar that gets spent on something like cocaine, it does find it's way back to the source who keeps pumping the crap out. Like Jerseyben said, there's a BIG difference between contemporary counterfeits that people collect, and modern fake coins the Chinese make to deceive. So the next time someone goes to pay a dollar for a fake coin they should think about how they are indirectly playing a part in honest people getting taken for their hard earned money by being sold fake coins. One of my other interests is watches, and as you would know there's just a "little" problem with them getting ripped off too. For some reason I don't have quite as much hate for the watches because I look at them more as jewelry or an accessory unlike coins where it's all about the history and it being strictly a collectible. That said, I would never wear a fake watch but I would not look down on someone if they liked a certain look but didn't wanted to drop 10k. But there is always similar real watches from other brands priced much lower so that would be the better way to go. Chinese fake coins, just bad news.

Last edited:

Kavana

Jul 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a silver dollar from 1846 here that says CC on it. However it does not have the banner and is also not sticking to a magnet. Still a fake?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a silver dollar from 1846 here that says CC on it. However it does not have the banner and is also not sticking to a magnet. Still a fake?
Yes, there were no Seated Liberty dollars struck in Carson City in 1846. That didn't happen until 1870.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread