Local WWII Newspaper Found at Recycling Yard

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I stopped by my local recycling facility today, and found that it was closed. There are dumpsters that you can dump stuff into according to the type of item (i.e. glass, paper, plastic, etc.). While sorting out my stuff, I noticed a bunch of cardboard boxes in front of the paper dumpster that someone had left there. They had old newspapers, household junk mail and that sort of thing. Being the nosy guy I am, I started flipping through the papers, and noticed some of them went way back into the fifties. I decided to take the box home and sort through them there as we were expecting rain today. Got home and the whole box was just junk papers except this little gem I found with all of the newspapers. It is the May 3, 1945 Ionia Sentinel-Standard. This newspaper is still our local paper today. The headline was "Last Nazi Pockets Shrink Fast". There are many articles about WWII. Very interesting find. I plan on offering this gem to our historical society. The paper is in wonderful shape. No water or dirt damage. It does not smell, and there is no mold on it. Still crisp and clean.

Attachments

• P1010472.JPG
    P1010472.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 190

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I love finding stuff like that then reading it. I got one Full paper and another half of one. From the Berlin airlift in Germany. This paper was written by the soldiers and most were Destroyed. It's a really cool piece of history. The completed one sold for $350 if I remember correctly on eBay.

image-3418668700.jpg

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The historical society is a great idea, but my first thought was to see if I could track down one of the surviving children of thise Hammond boys. Who knows, maybe one of them is even still around. That's a great write up on them, and I'm sure it would mean the world to the family, if they could be found. Just a thought. Great find too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread