Alcoholics Anonymous Searcy W autographed picture

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I bought this at an estate sale recently, and I remembered that some AA stuff sells for decent amounts,

AA (1).JPG AA (2).JPG AA (3).JPG

It seems Searcy W was a big deal in AA. At first I thought the number was the date he signed it, but through research I do believe that is his sober date. I found a picture of a book he autographed, it was near identical with the same date so I do think it is authentic.

The thing that also caught my interest was he actually numbered it (42/100). Maybe it was a special event? Signing?

He died in 2003 so it is at least 10 years old.

Does anyone have any experience selling autographed items on EBAY? I think it is authentic however I know EBAY gets whiny about certain items because there are a lot of fakes floating around, not sure if autographed items were one of them.

Also any tips on how to market it, all I can find on EBAY are a few of his CD's. Thanks.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry 2nd but this is new to me,never would of thought about aaa stuff.

66hotel

Mar 15, 2013
west centrsl,ms
Detector(s) used
fisher f2, garrett ace 150,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd,
Not real sure who Searcy W is, but the gentleman in the print is Bill Wilson (Bill W). He and Dr. William Silkwood co-founded AA in 1934. Bill W died in 1971. Nice collection. Hope you do well with it. HH, Terry.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
2nd,
Not real sure who Searcy W is, but the gentleman in the print is Bill Wilson (Bill W). He and Dr. William Silkwood co-founded AA in 1934. Bill W died in 1971. Nice collection. Hope you do well with it. HH, Terry.

I don't know if you can tell from the picture or not, the other autographs are not real, as in they are just a copy. The limited information I can find on Searcy W suggests he was a big wig in AA during his lifetime. I think someone even wrote a book about him. I know some people collect AA stuff here so I was hoping they could give me a little more information.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
look up online

Searcy w. was one of the one hundred folks that helped write the big book, Alcoholics Anonymous. Quite possibly if you were to write to Central Office in your area, they could give you a value. You can also contact them online.

Last edited:

Jamesiv1

Jul 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searcy W. (Whaley) was in fact a big player in Texas and especially Dallas AA....

AA was founded in 1935 by Bill Wilson and Robert Smith (Dr. Bob). The first Texas groups sprung up in Houston and San Antonio in 1940, and Dallas in 1941. Searcy was not one of the first 100 (that's the number of sober folks in 1939 when the 'Big Book' was published).

He's probably best known for being the 'Texas Sponsor' for Ebby T (Thacher) who brought the Oxford Group message to Bill Wilson in 1934 (a lot of AA's steps grew out of the Oxford Groups that were popular in the 20's and 30's).

5/10/46 is Searcy's sobriety date. The prints were made from a painting of Bill Wilson that still hangs in "Stepping Stones" - the home Bill and his wife Lois retired to. Searcy was given 100 of the prints, and then Searcy signed them as gifts to special friends. We have one hanging in our group (the Preston Group, Dallas TX).

Not aware of any books written about Searcy, but here is an interview he did with our local intergroup office before he died.

Hope it helps,

James I.

Last edited:

Kmb9900

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searcy Whaley from the Whitehouse Group

2nd,

Searcy W. helped Ebby Thatcher sober up when Bill W could no longer help him. Searcy asked Bill if there was anything he could do to help, Bill W said you can take Ebby and see if you can Sober him up. And off to Texas with a little dittie bag Ebby went. Searcy was able to help Ebby. Searcy died with over 50 years Sober. He was a great man. I got the pleasure of spending alot of time with him. He was in a group called the Whitehouse Group in Dallas, there he has a lot of Texas AA history that he himself collected. The date on Searcy's signature was his sobriety date. He did write several books about doing the steps. I have them as well. I will have to look fro the name of them and repost

I hope this helps. BTW I have a signed picture as well

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I'd like to thank the two "new" members, Kmb9900 and Jamesiv1, for their responses in this thread. I've sold a couple autographed items and never had an issue with ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread