Thirft shop finds

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by a local thrift shop today before work since i was ahead of schedule. Didn't find anything in the store except for the jewelry counter. I found a large necklace about 8 1/2 inches long when clasped together that was marked 925 MEXICO on the clasp and one of the links was also marked MEXICO 925, i am not sure but assume the entire chain maybe sterling with gold plated hearts mixed in. Each link of this chain have 4 hearts and alternate gold/silver, every link looks to be kinda crudely made or handmade, unsure of which, either way the chain is non magnetic and pretty heavy.

Also i found a bracelet that is marked Sterling and FRANCES, appears to have onyx, turquoise and some other stones in it. Any ideas about it would be welcomed. Sorry for the bad indoor lighting, its dark outside already =( Thanks for any input and viewing =)

Oh and the thrift shop wanted 40 dollars for the necklace and 20 for the bracelet, i paid 35 total for both.

The necklace.

The bracelet.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yard_sale.gif
Nice buys twiasp. Thanks for sharing...

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buys, I think you did well. The necklace is sterling and vermeil (gold plated sterling). In regards to the bracelet, I believe it to be Old Pawn (Native American) jewelry, possibly Navaho. Are you certain it says frances as oppossed to francis? If francis, it could be Francis Melvin a well known Navaho silversmith. I can't tell from your photos. You did well with the price. The cuff alone will sell for more than you paid for both, especially if you can identify the maker. I just glanced at this site before posting, but if you check it out it might help Indian Native American hallmarks AL

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, i have sent an email with pictures to both Melvin Frances and Frances Begay and will wait for a reply in trying to find out this mystery. That is half the fun of finding things is finding out about them.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumped the silver chain for 40 dollars to my selling lady. It was 3oz total weight and she deducted 1oz since after an acid test the gold colored hearts were brass. She said this is very common with some jewelry from Mexico. So i made 5 bucks so far and still trying to figure out who the bracelet is possibly made by.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I just heard back from Erick Begay and he said it is not his mothers mark (Frances Begay). Happy he replied in such a quick manner =) This is his reply, "Thanks, all I can tell you that this in not my mother's hallmark (Frances Begay). Nice piece, it looks silver and handmade. Great find. "

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
quite a lot of native jewelry in the 1970's was made in factories in the phoenix area..by white boys...
special laws were made to eliminate this issue...cant mark or sell jewelry as native made unless you are a native...

turquoise, jet and coral are popular materials for Navajo and zuni silversmiths...

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another email came back from Perry Null Trading Company on Facebook. They said the mark appears to be Melvin Frances to them. Seems like a legit place that sells a lot of jewelry and according to their website have been a trading post in New Mexico since 1939, and even have pictures of artists visiting their shop on their facebook. Its a lead now to hone in on it and see if it is true and figure out value of piece if it is his.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bracelet! There appears to be a "M" before Frances that isn't as deeply stamped.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of a sudden the name FRANCIS turns in to FRANCI.S In Da Gadda Da Vida....I'm I tripping? I have a hunch it is a fellow named Steve Franci steve franci jewelry | eBay I can't find a image of his makers mark, but this could be your guy.

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a little worried about the Mexico piece... Good thing you sold it !!
Keep @ it and HH !!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of a sudden the name FRANCIS turns in to FRANCI.S In Da Gadda Da Vida....I'm I tripping? I have a hunch it is a fellow named Steve Franci steve franci jewelry | eBay I can't find a image of his makers mark, but this could be your guy.
His mark is an SF.

I think it's an "E" just a weak stamp. It is definitely not an "I", the spacing isn't right with the "S".

Here is Steve Francisco's mark-
NAP-09357NEWc.jpg
NAP-09357back.jpg

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the info and can tell some of you are devoting some time to helping me solve this mystery stamp and it is much appreciated. I myself am still looking into it also. I found an ebay brooch with the same looking mark, and the seller is saying it is also Melvin Francis. Unfortunately i don't have an ebay account so i can contact the seller. I still think it looks like a FRANCES not a FRANCIS, but i will keep on digging and looking through pictures to figure it out. If anything i'm getting a nice little bit of education on indian jewelry =)

Here is the link to the other marked brooch that looks like my mark.
Navajo Sterling Silver Multi Stone Inlay Pin Brooch Signed Melvin Francis | eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread