Fairgrounds garage sale yields a few nice items, Vaseline, ivory? Murano, FUDGE!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit one of those large indoor at the fairgrounds type garage sale thing today. Ended up with a few nice pieces & some things to sell.

A 1920's vaseline glass Clarks Teaberry gum display, a Mosser vaseline glass pony/Trojan horse, Murano blue & yellow glass ashtray & matching + nesting table lighter (both have a mild green glow under blacklight), I believe a set of dice made of Tagua Palm Seed (AKA ivory nut) they are dark & have grain that resembles a finger print that varies on each side (some sides its concentric circles or at least somewhat concentric other sides its not), tho this can't really be seen with the naked eye only magnified so see the larger pixs, celluloid Japanese 2 females nude in a bath tub? (I believe it's missing pieces), Baileys doll face mug, EAPG dish with metal basket type handle & last vintage Backgammon set in a very nice condition suede case.

I should easily be able to sell the EAPG piece, Baileys mug, Backgammon set & the Mosser vaseline pony & get the Teaberry display, dice, celluloid thing & the 2 Murano pieces for free!

I also bought 6oz's of this fabulous home made cinnamon roll fudge! Talk about rich & delicious! This was $4 per quarter pound but I weighed it on my scales & I easily had 6oz's! So it was a good deal too!
DSC02779.JPG DSC02780.JPG DSC02795.JPG DSC02787.JPG DSC02791.JPG DSC02801.JPG DSC02799.JPG DSC02798.JPG

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. I like the horse!

I went to my first auction in about 10 years the other day. They had trains collection auction and boxed lots that were from estates. They also had lots that were consignment. Prices on the boxed lots basically doubled once people could get there from work. My main complaint was how ruff people were with the boxes of stuff that they weren't going to bid on. Looking through a box of china or glass throw it all around in hopes of finding something else in the box. When the china and glass was pretty valuable. I think the train auction was keeping the price on the boxes down though some serious spenders over there.

People would also try to sneak a box from one area into an area they were auctioning at that moment I think to eliminate other people who wanted to bid on it. Had to actually be in sight of the box before you bid to make sure some idiot hadn't moved the item out of the box.

I also learned that things go for a lot more when people are sitting down instead of standing. Had to stay away from what they deemed main stage worthy. It was one of those mad house 3 ring circus type events. I had a good time. I also filled up my car for about $75 dollars. Came wildly unprepared to take things out and wrap them. I really thought I would just check it out but couldn't resist once I got there. They had one box with 5 vaseline glass juicers in it (one said Sunkist) but by my calculations it looked like they would get to that box about 1am. I'm sure it went for about 5 bucks by the time they got to it. But I just couldn't go the distance. Already found one item alone that should more than double my money. So thanks for your auction inspirations. Dont mean to hijack but didn't think it was worthy of it own thread.

Nice haul you had there.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. I like the horse!

I went to my first auction in about 10 years the other day. They had trains collection auction and boxed lots that were from estates. They also had lots that were consignment. Prices on the boxed lots basically doubled once people could get there from work. My main complaint was how ruff people were with the boxes of stuff that they weren't going to bid on. Looking through a box of china or glass throw it all around in hopes of finding something else in the box. When the china and glass was pretty valuable. I think the train auction was keeping the price on the boxes down though some serious spenders over there.

People would also try to sneak a box from one area into an area they were auctioning at that moment I think to eliminate other people who wanted to bid on it. Had to actually be in sight of the box before you bid to make sure some idiot hadn't moved the item out of the box.

I also learned that things go for a lot more when people are sitting down instead of standing. Had to stay away from what they deemed main stage worthy. It was one of those mad house 3 ring circus type events. I had a good time. I also filled up my car for about $75 dollars. Came wildly unprepared to take things out and wrap them. I really thought I would just check it out but couldn't resist once I got there. They had one box with 5 vaseline glass juicers in it (one said Sunkist) but by my calculations it looked like they would get to that box about 1am. I'm sure it went for about 5 bucks by the time they got to it. But I just couldn't go the distance. Already found one item alone that should more than double my money. So thanks for your auction inspirations. Dont mean to hijack but didn't think it was worthy of it own thread.

Nice haul you had there.

Sounds like a descent auction you went to! You think people are ruff with boxed lots you should see them with pallet lots of 4-8 boxes of stuff per pallet & very little time to look at thru them. Its hard to believe anything glass makes it undamaged but yet a bunch of it somehow does.

The one I go to is like a 7 ring circus (the main "sit down" room is a 3 ring circus alone). The pallet room is a circus of it's own, the furniture building is a circus, the tool building is a circus & the specialty building is usually a circus as well. Mad house is putting it lightly! I do have a blast & do a lot of running all day.

Main room stuff varies a lot where I go. Usually prices are quite high but I walk away with a few seriously good deals in there most weeks. Sometimes even a lot of good deals. Most auction houses change from week to week but some things are a constant like silver items & coins. To play the main room right you really got to know your stuff! In the pallet room you can request a single item off a pallet or a whole box off a pallet & they will break it down like that if people want it like that.

The vaseline juicers were yellow? Most are green depression tho some are yellow or a yellow green cross. The Sunkiss ones are usually Jadeite (pre war jadeite with uranium). The Jadeite Sunkiss ones are worth approx. $35-$50 maybe slightly more depending on the month. That Mosser pony is a $25 piece it's prolly the 10th one I've ever bought.

The place I go to also supplies all packing material & boxes you could possibly need. So much that I never have to look for or get packing material for shipping anywhere else!

Keep going, it only gets better the more you start to know & understand about that auction & the way it works + it's cycles!

Glad to hear you had a good time!

Last edited:

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!
The crosshatching on the dice definitely point to tusk or ivory (angle of intersection of these Schreger lines would define which).
Would you be willing to disclose what you paid for these nice items, versus your thoughts of resale value?

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!
The crosshatching on the dice definitely point to tusk or ivory (angle of intersection of these Schreger lines would define which).
Would you be willing to disclose what you paid for these nice items, versus your thoughts of resale value?

So you think the dice are indeed ivory? They feel like ivory as in buttery smooth & they glow a mild or dull yellow under uv light as real ivory should regardless of the patina but to me they don't feel as heavy as ivory should. I'm probably wrong as their size might just be throwing me off but bakelite dice of the same size weigh more than these do & maybe that's just how it works, I'm not sure.

I bought the Teaberry vaseline glass stand, the vaseline pony & the dice off the same guy he was asking $30, $10 & & $3 in that order. I offered $33 for all 3 items & he took it. I'll get $25 out of the horse pretty much guaranteed (I'll be keeping the Teaberry stand & dice). Tho the Teaberry display stands like this one average between $30 & $60 + shipping on eBay. People who hold out for $49.99 end up getting that if its undamaged & some even go for slightly more. I wouldn't sell for less than $50! The dice I don't know, I bought em to keep but I will research them.

The Murano ashtray & lighter I gave $15 for. I could or will easily get $35 or maybe $40 or more out of. Hard to judge, not many to compare it to. It has a very nice bright snappy color combo & both pieces are in great shape. Never know could go for $50-$75 on eBay.

The celluloid Asian thing, the EAPG glass tray/basket, the Baileys mug & the backgammon set I gave $17 for. They were asking like $35 total individually so I went for a package deal & they accepted. The Baileys mug I can get around $10 (no less than $7-$8) for & the Backgammon set I can prolly easily get $15 out of as it has a very nice briefcase & its vintage yet just like new. The EAPG I'm not sure about yet & the celluloid thingy will prolly go on a shelf in my dining room.

I think the dice are these.. That price seems real high as on eBay they go for much less.
http://oldwestantiques.biz/.zBizCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3124
Picture 2.png Picture 1.png

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are animals. Now I know why you have so much broken glass.

Tools prices appear outrages at this one. You could pull an item out of a box for a minimum $10 bid but very few boxes went over $20 unless they had tools. So pulling an item seem to be a way to advertise it as valuable. So I don't know when pulling an item would make sense. But I saw it being done.
The main floor seemed to have things that appeared like a little knowledge is dangerous. I don't know Roseville pottery beyond recognizing it a flea markets and thrift stores. But they had probably an 18 to 20 inch tall vase about 10 inches wide they said was roseville and i watched it sell for $45. But all I could think is either that is a excellent deal or he is getting a nice vase that looks a lot like Roseville because I've never seen one that big. So I just stuck to what I knew.

The juicers were all transparent green but thanks to my keychain black light I think 5 of the 6 light up. The Sunkiss one was transparent and glowed under the blacklight. I really wanted that box but I couldnt hold out that long. Here is a couple of items that glow that were in my box. Agh Nevermind says my file is too large. Still trying to get the hang of this forum. They are green glass, it reads break no more. Cleveland OH. And has a piece of metal over the top. If you know what Im talking about without a pic thats impressive. But Ill try to upload later.

Sounds like a descent auction you went to! You think people are ruff with boxed lots you should see them with pallet lots of 4-8 boxes of stuff per pallet & very little time to look at thru them. Its hard to believe anything glass makes it undamaged but yet a bunch of it somehow does.

The one I go to is like a 7 ring circus (the main "sit down" room is a 3 ring circus alone). The pallet room is a circus of it's own, the furniture building is a circus, the tool building is a circus & the specialty building is usually a circus as well. Mad house is putting it lightly! I do have a blast & do a lot of running all day.

Main room stuff varies a lot where I go. Usually prices are quite high but I walk away with a few seriously good deals in there most weeks. Sometimes even a lot of good deals. Most auction houses change from week to week but some things are a constant like silver items & coins. To play the main room right you really got to know your stuff! In the pallet room you can request a single item off a pallet or a whole box off a pallet & they will break it down like that if people want it like that.

The vaseline juicers were yellow? Most are green depression tho some are yellow or a yellow green cross. The Sunkiss ones are usually Jadeite (pre war jadeite with uranium). The Jadeite Sunkiss ones are worth approx. $35-$50 maybe slightly more depending on the month. That Mosser pony is a $25 piece it's prolly the 10th one I've ever bought.

The place I go to also supplies all packing material & boxes you could possibly need. So much that I never have to look for or get packing material for shipping anywhere else!

Keep going, it only gets better the more you start to know & understand about that auction & the way it works + it's cycles!

Glad to hear you had a good time!

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are animals. Now I know why you have so much broken glass.

Tools prices appear outrages at this one. You could pull an item out of a box for a minimum $10 bid but very few boxes went over $20 unless they had tools. So pulling an item seem to be a way to advertise it as valuable. So I don't know when pulling an item would make sense. But I saw it being done.
The main floor seemed to have things that appeared like a little knowledge is dangerous. I don't know Roseville pottery beyond recognizing it a flea markets and thrift stores. But they had probably an 18 to 20 inch tall vase about 10 inches wide they said was roseville and i watched it sell for $45. But all I could think is either that is a excellent deal or he is getting a nice vase that looks a lot like Roseville because I've never seen one that big. So I just stuck to what I knew.

The juicers were all transparent green but thanks to my keychain black light I think 5 of the 6 light up. The Sunkiss one was transparent and glowed under the blacklight. I really wanted that box but I couldnt hold out that long. Here is a couple of items that glow that were in my box. Agh Nevermind says my file is too large. Still trying to get the hang of this forum. They are green glass, it reads break no more. Cleveland OH. And has a piece of metal over the top. If you know what Im talking about without a pic thats impressive. But Ill try to upload later.

Its a $5 minimum bid at the auction I go to in any room, not $10 thank god! Now in the main room you can also express request something for a $25 starting bid at any time. Pulling stuff from boxes (or for me) even pulling whole boxes off a pallet can be a bad move like as you noticed 1 single item might go for $10-$20 when the whole box would have sold for $20. Same goes true for a pallet, you might buy a single box off the pallet for what you could have bought the whole pallet for but don't get me wrong I do make a lot of $5 buys that I requested off of a pallet.

Heres a short list of things that are routinely requested by people at this auction. Boxes of books or records will 99% of the time get pulled, any good cast iron cookware (Griswold & old Wagner) will get pulled, any box of knives will usually get pulled, boxes of Hot Wheels & similar toy cars will get pulled, jewelry costume or real will get pulled & boxes of nice small electronics will often get pulled. The only way these type items make it thru is if their hidden deep in a box on the pallet or actually sometimes everything on these pallets is in nice totes not boxes. And often these pallets sell for less than what just the 6 totes would cost ya new & that's just crazy!

The Roseville vase I honestly know nothing about, I mean like you I know if that thing was real it was a steal at $45! Small Roseville pieces go for that! I know someone with a very large Roseville planter so they made big pieces! The green piece you are describing kind of sounds like a percolator to me? The top of an old coffee pot? That's the only green or clear glass items I've seen that says "break no more" on em.

And ya I get plenty & I see even more broken glass (I bet close to a dumpster full each week) from what everyone buying pallets throws away. Lots of perfectly good undamaged glass gets tossed too. And also lots of broken china type items!

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20140113_180519.jpg 20140113_180454.jpg

Sorry for the terrible lighting. But I guess I am impressed. Similar clear ones were also in the box. Percolator lids sound good to me. Got a small lot of glass stoppers in a box. Several people offered to buy them off me. Now I just have to figure out which one is valuable.

This auction had a lady who said she could sell anything a proudly took anything nobody wanted. A bold claim but I don't think much made it to the dumpster. She was nice enough to offer to reunite pieces from her boxes that were with matching pieces in other boxes. So you could easily win a set of china and somebody else would win the matching teapot. Endless examples of this happening. So if that is a percolator lid there is a good chance someone is at home with a percolator with no lid.

I didn't think to ask if I could pull a box up out of order. Or I would have 3 or 4 just to be on my way. But I will next time I will ask. About a dozen tables of books ground the action to a near stop as far as I was concerned. But once the pulls were made you could have filled a large pickup for about 20 bucks.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the terrible lighting. But I guess I am impressed. Similar clear ones were also in the box. Percolator lids sound good to me. Got a small lot of glass stoppers in a box. Several people offered to buy them off me. Now I just have to figure out which one is valuable.

This auction had a lady who said she could sell anything a proudly took anything nobody wanted. A bold claim but I don't think much made it to the dumpster. She was nice enough to offer to reunite pieces from her boxes that were with matching pieces in other boxes. So you could easily win a set of china and somebody else would win the matching teapot. Endless examples of this happening. So if that is a percolator lid there is a good chance someone is at home with a percolator with no lid.

I didn't think to ask if I could pull a box up out of order. Or I would have 3 or 4 just to be on my way. But I will next time I will ask. About a dozen tables of books ground the action to a near stop as far as I was concerned. But once the pulls were made you could have filled a large pickup for about 20 bucks.

Yup exactly what I thought they were, they screw into a larger metal piece that is actually the lid part & the glass part is center piece which is the actual percolator part. I'm not sure what those are going for these days on eBay.

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you think the dice are indeed ivory? They feel like ivory as in buttery smooth & they glow a mild or dull yellow under uv light as real ivory should regardless of the patina but to me they don't feel as heavy as ivory should. I'm probably wrong as their size might just be throwing me off but bakelite dice of the same size weigh more than these do & maybe that's just how it works, I'm not sure.

I bought the Teaberry vaseline glass stand, the vaseline pony & the dice off the same guy he was asking $30, $10 & & $3 in that order. I offered $33 for all 3 items & he took it. I'll get $25 out of the horse pretty much guaranteed (I'll be keeping the Teaberry stand & dice). Tho the Teaberry display stands like this one average between $30 & $60 + shipping on eBay. People who hold out for $49.99 end up getting that if its undamaged & some even go for slightly more. I wouldn't sell for less than $50! The dice I don't know, I bought em to keep but I will research them.

The Murano ashtray & lighter I gave $15 for. I could or will easily get $35 or maybe $40 or more out of. Hard to judge, not many to compare it to. It has a very nice bright snappy color combo & both pieces are in great shape. Never know could go for $50-$75 on eBay.

The celluloid Asian thing, the EAPG glass tray/basket, the Baileys mug & the backgammon set I gave $17 for. They were asking like $35 total individually so I went for a package deal & they accepted. The Baileys mug I can get around $10 (no less than $7-$8) for & the Backgammon set I can prolly easily get $15 out of as it has a very nice briefcase & its vintage yet just like new. The EAPG I'm not sure about yet & the celluloid thingy will prolly go on a shelf in my dining room.

Nice deals! Thanks for sharing.

Without being able to hold and inspect the dice, I really can't be sure. Genuine ivory should fluoresce white under UV/blacklight, but a true age patina may cause it to fluoresce dull yellow or brown, which gives a basic indication that yours are ivory dice. Blueish is going to point to some form of plastic, while bright yellow points to a fake aging/patina.

Schreger lines will further identify what type of ivory or tusk. Celluloid plastic also has lines, but they are usually perfectly parallel, while biologic material will have variances. Schreger Angles of less than 90° indicate mammoth ivory; angles greater than 115° indicate elephant ivory. If your measurements vary from these, it could be whale teeth or tusk, walrus, etc.

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fudge - say no more. that is a SCORE. :) that glassware is really beautiful!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread