tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the glass & crystal aisle of the thrift stores for that Waterford and just maybe as I have before score pieces of French Baccarat...I hit a "BINGO" Found today these 2 pieces of Baccarat 5-1/2" cut Nancy pattern wine glasses in perfect condition. I sure looked in vain for more, but no cigar! or discount on a white tag today, but at 4 bucks and some change, these babies will turn some profit on ebay. Don't forget to look over that fine crystal in the glass aisle. The good fine crystal will stand out over all the lesser crystal stuff and I just love the sound of that ping on fine lead crystal.

Attachments

• baccrat.jpg
    baccrat.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 164
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you recognize baccarat?
They have a acid etched mark on the bottom in the center. You can see part of the mark under the price sticker in my photo if you zoom in on it. The baccarat mark is round with a small image of a decanter and says baccarat also.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the Baccarat. Remember, crystal stems do not always have to be signed to be worth something. I recently picked up a set of six Mikasa crystal wine glasses for $5 and sold them for $119.99 the first week.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the Baccarat. Remember, crystal stems do not always have to be signed to be worth something. I recently picked up a set of six Mikasa crystal wine glasses for $5 and sold them for $119.99 the first week.
Oh my! That is why this lady kept picking up all the stems and plucking them today! Ha.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information! I never look at glassware. This will give me a good place to start!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys ever check a store called Tuesday Mornings? They usually have a lot of Mikasa and Waterford crystal sets and pieces, not the best buy deals like thrift shops but some of the items i'm sure could sell well.I don't know much about crystal stuff but know i see a lot of it usually without any kind of stickers and have no clue if it is good stuff or junk, any information on how to hone that skill would be great. I figured the thickness would depend on the tone you get if you flick it.

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, so you ding the stem and it sounds different on the higher end stuff?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I've come across Mikasa crystal. Never gave it much thought, figured the weight would be to much freight cost to be worth it to someone.... $119.99 is pretty dang good, what did the buyer pay in the freight on that deal?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, so you ding the stem and it sounds different on the higher end stuff?
All true lead crystal will ring unless its a heavy candlestick or something like that. Lots of info online on what to look for in true find cut lead crystal... The ringing of lead crystal is a nice long lasting beautiful tone. Molded no lead glass will sound very flat and short. I only look for glass that can be positively identified by a maker, that way I can give a name to it when I go to sell it. There's a lot of Waterford crystal sitting in these thrift store and I find those very frequently. When you see enough of those you'll be able to spot them in all the hundreds of glass on the shelves. I'm sitting on a few pieces of Waterford now. I always throw a piece in on any yard sales I have as its fun to watch a lady come by and hold the base in the sun and look for the mark. I don't even say I know it's Waterford. I find it fun to watch a lady score a treasure and keep her cool, it's cute to watch... I maybe paid 2 bucks for it and sell it for three bucks.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's crystal it has a distinct ringing sound when plucked with a fingernail versus glass which is like a dull thump.

any information on how to hone that skill would be great. I figured the thickness would depend on the tone you get if you flick it.
They have crystal stemware identification guides. Books are a good thing. Not everything can be found on the internet. Almost but not quite, lol. Unusual shaped stems or fancy looking stems are also something to keep am eye out for. Of course you have to be able to identify the maker/pattern too in order to maximize it's full selling potential.

Wow! I've come across Mikasa crystal. Never gave it much thought, figured the weight would be to much freight cost to be worth it to someone.... $119.99 is pretty dang good, what did the buyer pay in the freight on that deal?
I should rephrase that. I gave free shipping. It was only $12.32, luckily he was in the same postal region. It could have been closer to $20 if he was in Ca..Still not bad for something that cost $5 for the set of six.

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are beautiful glasses. I never really check out the glassware, but maybe I should :)

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have personally done the best with Heisey crystal, many people under 40 don't even know about it. Waterford is OK but it's not a good money maker getting it where I go, & like Dig I have sold a lot of Makisa crystal for real good money the last being some modern if not brand new etched crystal balloon goblets/wine glasses I got in a pallet, just 3 of them & I got $50 shipped & shipping was kind of cheap as they didn't weigh much.

So my advise is watch out for pieces marked with an H in a diamond cause that's Heisey!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish i would have seen this thread a few weeks ago, I saw some Royal Daulton crystal glasses in a thrift store (long gone now, i checked). Were 5 of them bundled up together all the same style, were small though, about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of normal wine glasses. I figured they wouldn't be worth anything split away from a set, guess i was sure wrong lol. Would have been 2 dollars well spent it seems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread