180.9 KB · Views: 96

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Yeah, I would say the gauge is for an acetelyne torch set.

The development of the internal combustion engine and automotive transportation led to an industrial resurgence at La Crosse.
One person who took advantage of the new automotive industry was Philo M. Gelatt. His Northern Engraving Company was already a successful producer of printing equipment when he purchased the Hans Motor Co. in 1913 and renamed it the National Gauge and Equipment Company to more accurately reflect its products, i.e. gauges and instruments for autos. When the economy boomed in the 1920s, Gelatt sold National Gauge. Later acquired by the Autolite Company, the company grew into one of the largest manufacturers in La Crosse. Autolite remained in town until1958 and took twenty percent of the city’s manufacturing jobs when it left.

6046.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Oxygen also has medical applications. I can imagine the same gauge might be used in either application. That's a cool globe. Any idea when it was made?
Im thinking the 60,s or 70's. There is a North and South Korea, so definitely after 1948.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Yeah, I would say the gauge is for an acetelyne torch set.

The development of the internal combustion engine and automotive transportation led to an industrial resurgence at La Crosse.
One person who took advantage of the new automotive industry was Philo M. Gelatt. His Northern Engraving Company was already a successful producer of printing equipment when he purchased the Hans Motor Co. in 1913 and renamed it the National Gauge and Equipment Company to more accurately reflect its products, i.e. gauges and instruments for autos. When the economy boomed in the 1920s, Gelatt sold National Gauge. Later acquired by the Autolite Company, the company grew into one of the largest manufacturers in La Crosse. Autolite remained in town until1958 and took twenty percent of the city’s manufacturing jobs when it left.

6046.JPG
Very good info you provided, Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread