Would you keep these or return them?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The ring is marked "silver and diamonds" $42. (2 grams)
The earrings are marked "garnet and gold posts" $36. (.9 grams)

Everything tested for 14K. I can't read the marks in the ring, but again, it tested for gold, not silver. It is not 18K.

Are these too expensive to keep? I don't know if the ring has diamonds or not. But when I blow on them, they fog up like CZs.

Wanna hear someone funny? The 10K ring was marked $78, and the other 10K ring was marked $56.

2014-02-24 15.28.17.jpg 2014-02-24 15.28.51.jpg

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
All I can say is... Typically you won't see too many people in the garage sales section discussing returning anything. It just doesn't go hand in hand with what we do.

I am personally against the idea of returns if you purchased something to flip it.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The seller should know their craft better. You can bet that you bought them for a markup, so this guy didn't lose any money.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I go to a lot of consignment shops. And they do not know what they are doing. I picked up another cameo today. It's marked 750. They had it marked $18 ... I got 30% off because it's been there for a few weeks.

You think I can flip them? That is what I am worried about.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not anticipate getting much over scrap for the earrings or "silver and diamonds" ring. Weigh them out and do the math -- if you're only breaking even at scrap, or losing money, return unless you are certain you can sell them for more.

Even if the "silver and diamonds" ring is 14k with diamonds, the CZ clouding and the fact that it is stamped "silver" hurts the value. I would be less inclined to buy it even if everything tested out. Some white metals give me a false positive with the acid test. So be absolutely sure you have gold if you consider keeping this one.

If you don't think returning them would hurt your relationship with the consignment shop, and there is no real potential for profit, might as well return and put the money back in play.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for being unclear in the above post, I meant to say "rough out the weight minus stones." You are cutting it close as is based on the weight with stones in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to scrap some gold tomorrow. I'll see what the jeweler says. The store doesn't care if I return. I have two other things that did not test out. They are the ones who say, take it home and then decide. LOL. I guess they want me to forget to return it since you only have 24 hours for returns. (These ladies know me by name!)

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep them.. but then again I'm damn stubborn about proving I can resell things for more than I paid. I'm also fine with letting an item sit on the market for a while.

If the stones are genuine in the ring, you can get more than $42 out of it. The earrings, IMO, are going to be more difficult to profit on, but I'm pretty sure you can make your money back without issue.

You're $78 in. If the ring stones are genuine I think you can make that back without much issue. Then the earrings would be your profit.. Get the stones tested and research what similar rings have sold for on eBay. Even if the stones are CZs, I don't think that $50 would be hard to hit for it. That plus another $30 from the earrings and you break even. All that being said I'm sure you can at least get your money back and perhaps profit a few dollars depending on how long you want them to sit.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to scrap some gold tomorrow. I'll see what the jeweler says. The store doesn't care if I return. I have two other things that did not test out. They are the ones who say, take it home and then decide. LOL. I guess they want me to forget to return it since you only have 24 hours for returns. (These ladies know me by name!)

So if you tell them "it's not silver", do you think they would discount the ring further? :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
(I was thinking of looking to see if their other "silver" rings from this same consigner are really gold ... )

I'll let you know what I decide tomorrow. Hopefully they are diamonds, and not CZs. For sure the earrings are garnets.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
They are all diamonds in the ring. The jeweler said to keep both the ring and earrings.

Get this. When I went to return the other two items, I found a bracelet from the same consigner. 10K white gold with sapphire and diamonds. (I have to have it confirmed.) $44. Happy Dance!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all diamonds in the ring. The jeweler said to keep both the ring and earrings.

Get this. When I went to return the other two items, I found a bracelet from the same consigner. 10K white gold with sapphire and diamonds. (I have to have it confirmed.) $44. Happy Dance!

Awesome! You found a tennis bracelet for $44? That's great! I've seen a bunch sell for $100-300 with tiny diamonds. I just sold one that was 10k yellow gold with 17 1mm diamonds for $140.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! You found a tennis bracelet for $44? That's great! I've seen a bunch sell for $100-300 with tiny diamonds. I just sold one that was 10k yellow gold with 17 1mm diamonds for $140.

Not a tennis bracelet. It's a link bracelet with sapphires and diamonds. I'll take a pic when the phone is charged. I'm telling you all ... CONSIGNMENT SHOPS. Yeah, you are not going to pay 50 cents. BUT, you will probably find some good deals. I have two stores here that know exactly what they are doing. You want the sweet little ladies who look at this ring that is 10K and think, OH man! That's real GOLD! And they charge a fortune for it. But then right under their noses are great treasures. I got a pair of John Hardy earrings for $24! It was marked 925, and when you opened the omega back, there was the 18K, clear as day.

I hit consignment stores and thrift stores. I also shmooze with the ladies. They will pull stuff out of the back for me. :-)

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried hitting the local consignment shop yet.. mainly because it's out of my way and it doesn't open til 11 (I'm an earlyyyy bird). I'll have to get over there one day and take a look, though!

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Vintage 14k White Gold 33ctw Natural Cluster Diamond Ladies Dinner Ring 3G | eBay

That is the same ring, except mine has a few more diamonds in it.

This is the exact bracelet.

Beautiful Designer Baith 10K Yellow Gold Tanzanite Bracelet not Scrap | eBay

Both of those are white gold.

I take my kids to school. Run one errand. I get to Good Will at 9am when they open. I hit one consignment store right near there that opens at 9:30. (I got a BARSE necklace there for $5 and I believe it is BakeLite bracelet for $2.) I then have a bunch of consignment shops around town that I hit. There are several thrift stores. My problem is that there are few thrift stores, and they are so well picked over. I lucked out a few weeks ago. I got this horrible, evil looking little tie clip. Seriously. The jeweler and I said he looked like a cherub with a demon face. We were VERY happy to melt that sucker down. No markings, but it had a real jade stone in it. It was $2.00. I forgot how much I made on him. You can google the consignment stores. You want a high end store that does not know what they are doing. Just saying you are looking for gifts. It's not a lie. You are looking for gifts. For yourself. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread