Finds From The Free Box Includes A Knockout And A Heartbreaker!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled a few items out of the free box that sat out overnight and got rained on last weekend. Most of it was saved and still good, luckily the rain was light. They included 2 postcards from Jack Dempsey's Restaurant including one that he signed and dated. The torpedo bottle was also in there. This was the knockout...

DSC06355.JPG DSC06356.JPG

Next was this guidebook to Freedomland USA, a short lived amusement park in NYC, the Bronx.

DSC06373.JPG

I pulled (saved) a few other pieces of vintage ephemera out of there too. But this was the heartbreaker!...

A 1951 world series, Yankees and Giants official program. This was ruined because the dummies put it in a box outside overnight and it got wet. Some people shouldn't be allowed to hold estate sales. Yes, this was an estate sale company that did this.

DSC06374.JPG

I should still be able to manage at least $50 out of this stuff. Not bad for free. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC06374.JPG
    DSC06374.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 201

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
Great finds but it kills me to hear about the careless water damage on that program!

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yikes!!! I went to Freedomland in the early 60's. Could you imagine going to an amusement park today and see the Rebel Flag hanging everywhere? It was a neat place and I still remember it today.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know this is an old post dig, but that is insane that an estate sale company would put that out as free. Anyone with any knowledge of collectibles would have saved that program.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old post dig, but that is insane that an estate sale company would put that out as free. Anyone with any knowledge of collectibles would have saved that program.
It was actually in a box along with several other boxes and bags that sat outside all night with a sign that said "free" on it. It was probably 30 miles from home. There are dozens of so called estate sale companies down here. Some of them are no more than real estate brokers that get houses full of stuff to sell. I'm thinking this was one of them, I remember one of their sales in my own neighborhood several years ago, I got a pair of sterling napkin rings for like $5 or something. I seem to remember these being the same 2 guys (Yeah, it was men who threw it away!). I wish I would have got a phone number or card from them or something, because I haven't seen them since. I'd go to their sales just to check the garbage cans, lol.

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate you sharing your story & showing what you found. What you saved & found for free are some outstanding items. The items this so-called estate sale company gave away for free is honestly astounding. Even with the water damage, you did great. I would have taken the entire free box & checked out the contents in your spare time. You might want to check somewhere like Facebook which has a garage sale / items for sale section for just about every town & put out a message to locate the company. Just put out a general message & ask if anyone knows which company ran the X estate sale. I bet someone will know & answer you. You can then ask these pinheads if they have any future sales.

Just about every single estate sale where I have found the best deals, usually revolves around relatives who live out of state & have a limited amount of time to clear out a residence to put on the market. I have never found anything like you did.
Best of luck with your future finds! Jim W.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread