Attachments

• 100_7653.JPG
    100_7653.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 221

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
That's a really cool piece. Do you have any details about its age, make or value ? Please teach so I may learn.
HH Ace Villa-v

OP
OP
frankendime

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a really cool piece. Do you have any details about its age, make or value ? Please teach so I may learn.
HH Ace Villa-v

Hi Thanks! From my limited amount of research I've learned that there was several tools made for Bell Telephone linesmen. I'm guessing that the square hole could be used as a wrench for the old square head nuts and bolts that were used on insulators etc; Not sure about age but will look into it more. Value, not sure. $15 -20 maybe.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ax head. I guess it's a lineman's ax. Here's some info. I just pulled up for you - Stanley Axes

STANLEY / BELL SYSTEM HATCHET
The specific years during which Stanley provided specialty hatchets for the Bell System has yet to be determined. It is believed that these hatchets were available from sometime in the 1940s until at least sometime in the 1960s. At this point no catalog reference is known extant but it is surmised they may have been provided through special orders. Also unresolved is whether Stanley provided such hatchets to other utility companies or other concerns in addition to the Bell System. Numerous examples have been observed that include a square opening cut through the hatchet blade. Such hatchets are referred to as hatchet-wrenches because the square opening accommodated the square bolt heads used to secure different apparatus to utility poles.
The hatchet-wrench was not the only axe that Stanley provided to the Bell System. Long handle single-bit axes have also been observed with both the Stanley marking and the words Bell System in what appear to be factory applied markings.

and then here is a response from a guy who actually used them - OldTools Archive -- thread with message 183515

The old man reports back that in his experience the hatchets were used to set ceramic insulators on phone pole cross arms. He is also quite sure that this was not the definitive use of the tool, but merely one adaptation in the geographic area in which he worked. This was apparently in the days when in certain rural areas bare copper wires were used to bring party line service to the farmers. The square hole in the head was to grasp and align the pegs on which the insulators were mounted, as well as for the lag screws that attached the crossarms to the pole. The back of the hatchet head was used as a hammer to drive the pegs into the crossarm, as well as any galvanized nails that would have been necessary for other types of wooden braces to which said insulators were also affixed. He owned that the hatchet bequeathed to me had been reground by him in accordance with instructions passed along by an old timer with whom he had worked when he was a line gang newbie, in the one-facet bevel style previously mentioned. Apparently some nameless, genuinely ancient galoot knew how to hew a log into a beam. Getting a crossarm to lay flat against a section of phone pole was not an altogether different operation, and building a pole shed was, in retrospect I guess, "child's play." :-)Whether or not such hewing conformed to established BSP practice was, of course, such an irrelevant idea that no one dared ask. ;->On another note he also mentioned that the hole in the head of the 3 lb lineman's hammer is reputed to be the idea of yet another nameless lineman, whose suggestion was passed up the line to management and thence to the tool-ordering folk.Does anybody work for such a responsive, can-do organization today?Ma Bell gave out dull hatchets and big ass hammers, but boy, did she put holes in them when asked for!

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3 - 6x10, 5.3, & 950 Coils

Whites XLT - 5.3 & 950 Coils
Your post reminded me of a past dump dig on which I found this double-sided porcelain Bell Systems sign. One of my best finds. The other thing to the left is a cast iron paperweight that says Saturday Evening Post on it. Both came from the same hole along with some other good stuff.

image-3372081427.jpg

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used one of these in my first job in the 1960's. Lineman Pennsylvania Bell System. thanks for the memories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread