2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son was with us at a sale a couple years ago and picked this up and for some reason he stuck it up to his eye and saw the nude lady in there. He was "oh my God!" ( he was about 9-10 yrs old). Lol! It was only .25 so I bought it and stuck it in the curio. Awhile back someone posted some lithophane stuff on here and I started thinking about it again. I researched when I got it and again recently with no similarities to this one found. Any ideas? It's diameter at the opening is 2" and 1.5" tall.

image-110150778.jpg

image-3221682918.jpg

image-263172805.jpg

image-407358267.jpg

image-3923862021.jpg

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat item, I would need a different one for each eye...gotta stay busy you know!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a lithophane, it's a novelty sake cup.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pretty sure not a lithophane due to the glass orb that isn't in other lithophane items I searched. The sticker on the bottom didn't seem right either. Thank you :)

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
To anyone who is not entirely clear on what a lithopane is, now is the time to hit google or wikipedia. In brief, lithopane is a type of intaglio artwork in which pictures or designs are carved or molded into a translucent material - usually porcelain. Thus when you look through the object toward a light source you get what amounts to a surprise or hidden image. Lithopanes are rarely labeled, they're there to be discovered. The only two I've ever seen in person was a Japanese tea cup and a German beer stein (I snatched up the stein for $12). They really are fascinating and something that an estate sales agent would likely miss. It takes only a few seconds to pick up an old cup or mug and try to look thru the bottom, but few people know such a thing exists.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad brought a lithophane tea cup set back from Japan during the time of US occupation. My daughter has them now, I'll see if she can dig them out so I can post a picture. I never knew what they were called. They are fascinating.

That was EZ to find

Attachments

• cup 1.jpg
    cup 1.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 218
  • cup 2.jpg
    cup 2.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's most definitely a Saki cup. The lithophane tea cups seem to sell for $10-50. The nudes sell a little better. Look up lithophane saki cup on Google.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a child. The picture is much prettier than my photos. Thank you all for the info! Novelty Sake cup.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
nude young Japanese women --were often used on "sake cups" --getting together and "drinking with the boys" is a very old time honored tradition in japan --often" female entertainers" were at drinking parties to liven things up a bit --in the 40's and 50's --- the guys "night out" was quite common both in the USA and in japan .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its a postwar late 40's /50's type of item from japan -- the "drinking with the boys" night out tradition was quite common for the Japanese and Americans too back then -- we in America had the "nudie' mixed drink glasses that upon adding ice the gals clothes "disappeared" .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread