dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If I catch some punk pulling that liquid ass prank around me I am going to make him swallow the bottle. Nothing funny about making other folks sick.

Dude, just lighten up. No one is going to do that to you. You know it's OK to laugh a little...

sent from a potato...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I you are going to donate, find a real charity to donate to. Goodwill is a racket making a select few a lot of money while skirting minimum wage laws. Yeah they are a non-profit, all the profits go to paying the management and regional CEOs.
.. From what i under stand talking to some workers at Goodwill they do not get paid minimum wage .goodwill gets away at paying there workers less than the law allows.…. Just as you said...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The GWO bins aren't what they used to be, at least in our area.

Five years ago, and actually, up to a year ago, the finds could simply be amazing. Over the years, I've pulled thousands in profits from GWO, and that was just going occasionally. At the time, I was averaging about 3 visits a month; in other words, I wasn't living inside a GWO, waiting for a deal.

GWO used to be an awesome place to find books, and I made plenty of money pulling select books that the throngs of 'scanner people' missed. The trick was knowing what to look for. In the past 2 years, GWO is listing any decent title on ebay, and they are selling $25 books for $4, and I promise that they are losing money on the shipping. It is stupid. Really stupid.

In the past few years, the donations are really down, IMO. As a casual observer, I've seen a steady decline since 2008. Recently, the decline has been sharp, IMO. I can still get lucky, now and again, but the big scores are gone, for the most part.

More and more, the bins are totally filled with trash. When I say trash...it really is trash.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GWO bins aren't what they used to be, at least in our area.

Five years ago, and actually, up to a year ago, the finds could simply be amazing. Over the years, I've pulled thousands in profits from GWO, and that was just going occasionally. At the time, I was averaging about 3 visits a month; in other words, I wasn't living inside a GWO, waiting for a deal.

GWO used to be an awesome place to find books, and I made plenty of money pulling select books that the throngs of 'scanner people' missed. The trick was knowing what to look for. In the past 2 years, GWO is listing any decent title on ebay, and they are selling $25 books for $4, and I promise that they are losing money on the shipping. It is stupid. Really stupid.

In the past few years, the donations are really down, IMO. As a casual observer, I've seen a steady decline since 2008. Recently, the decline has been sharp, IMO. I can still get lucky, now and again, but the big scores are gone, for the most part.

More and more, the bins are totally filled with trash. When I say trash...it really is trash.

Completely agreed. You have to go in with an open mind and you may find something, but you're never going to walk out with a pile of gold. There is definitely a ton of literal trash, but sometimes treasures surface. I once glanced in a box that was full of sticks and random broken stuff and upon further inspection I found a Filson hunting hat at the bottom that sold for $60. You have to keep your eyes open, as I'm sure you know. I honestly think the hit or miss nature and the chaos scares a lot of people away, which is fine with me.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Completely agreed. You have to go in with an open mind and you may find something, but you're never going to walk out with a pile of gold. There is definitely a ton of literal trash, but sometimes treasures surface. I once glanced in a box that was full of sticks and random broken stuff and upon further inspection I found a Filson hunting hat at the bottom that sold for $60. You have to keep your eyes open, as I'm sure you know. I honestly think the hit or miss nature and the chaos scares a lot of people away, which is fine with me.

Late last year, I found a Filson hunting vest that sold for $149, and sold within a few hours of listing.

Earlier this year, I found a bike accessory with a few issues of missing parts. I parted it out for almost $200, which was more than what a good one would have cost a buyer. I think it cost me about $12 to buy at GWO, but that was the best pick of my day.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ever since Goodwill opened their auction website the good finds in the store have sucked.. Smart on their part get more money/actual market value for stuff.. It still baffles me who donates silver coins to goodwill?? If you have that much to donate pm me I'll pay shipping..

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Speaking of GW, has anyone noticed the difference in shipping costs for purchases on their website. Several of their locations charge double to triple the actual shipping costs. This is outside of the handling costs they also charge. I don't even look at small purchases if it entails specific stores due to this. I mean, why double your price on something due to shipping. ex. $15 item, shipping is $14, and handling is $3. And, the value is $25. C'mon. Ok, thats my rant for today.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting ready to go watch my $10 Goodwill TV, read a GW book or wear my GW Hawaii shirt. I donated my golf clubs(Callaway) and 4 pairs of Foot Joy classics to my local store here. Love stopping by. Folks are friendly, stuff is good quality and there are treasures there(I don't do buying or selling). Really a neat, clean store with some high quality items...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread