Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need Help With A Maker's Mark on a Metal Plate

I bought this plate because of the branding iron patterns around the rim. It reminded me of the Westward Ho series made by the Wallace China Co.. Also, it was marked on the bottom so I figured I could find out who made it by the mark. Well no such luck, I can't find the mark or another plate like this one. I would assume that it is pewter, though it could be aluminum. It is a cast made piece whatever it is. 9 1/4" diameter, weighs 23.6 ounces. Here it the mark and the plate-

DSC07321.jpg DSC07322.jpg

Also, any recommendations for cleaning it? It's not old enough to worry about patina or anything so. Looks like it was used for an ashtray or something.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was in the tobacco business for 9 years. In my travels I recognize it as an ashtray from a Country Club or Fraternal Group. I was thinking maybe the marking was a club mark or logo. For instance the Union League in a Phila everything in the place is marked with their logo.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely notable cattle brands and cowboy symbols. Could have been in a bar, motel lounge, cafe or club of some sort, like a local Cattlemen's Club? Can't tell by the pic if it's alum. or pewter, The gray look to it leads me to think pewter?. I'm guessing it's from the later 1930's as that was the root-in-toot-in all things cowboy era. As for cleaning it looks like it needs a bunch of surface nicks and scratches buffed down first and then polish to a finer finish. I'd leave it be for now, but that's just me. I would see it as an old smoky bar room relic from days gone by. Heck you can't smoke in a bar here in Colorado anymore. I see the smokers out back in the alleyways these days. All those snuffed out cigs' in that old ash tray speak of the past now.

No clue on the mark? Maybe a small short lived novelty casting company from the north east would be only a wild guess???

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have managed to find out that the mark is that of York Metalcrafters. They were incorporated in 1968 and made similar wares comparable to Wilton Armetale "pewter". This must be one of their earlier pieces as it only has the shield logo. All the other pieces I see have "York Metalcraft(ers)" above and below the logo. So, maybe a rare piece because I still can't find another one, but not too valuable. Puzzle solved.

$_57.JPG

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "M" logo is a bit of a red herring isn't it? You did well to find maker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread