Rude Competition

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had many situations similar to yours since finding PM's mixed in costume is my primary goal, I have almost came to blows before, I have had to slap people's hands that were reaching in,you know there was a similar thread about a year ago. Good luck!........Scott.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How exactly do you give kickbacks to the OWNER of a privately owned thrift store?
Perhaps commision is a better term. Someone can get first look and they compensate the owner with a % of the final sale. In my example, this was a GW manager, not the owner, so that would be kickback. HH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go against the flow here. The owner agreed to let you go through 4 bags she had at home, so why get pissy about someone else going through one bag at the store? The clerk asked you to give her the other bag and instead you appeared to be a smart ass and gave her the one you already went through. Old adage applies, "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

I'm not about to argue about the other customer being rude, that is obvious. Sometimes though it is better to take the high road.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go against the flow here. The owner agreed to let you go through 4 bags she had at home, so why get pissy about someone else going through one bag at the store? The clerk asked you to give her the other bag and instead you appeared to be a smart ass and gave her the one you already went through. Old adage applies, "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

I'm not about to argue about the other customer being rude, that is obvious. Sometimes though it is better to take the high road.
Why was she being a smart ass? Because some slob stuck her grubby paws into her personal space?

FWIW- I would have done the exact same thing as the OP. I was there first. I asked about the jewelry first. I was searching the jewelry first. I'm not gonna hand over a bag of jewelry that I asked to look through to my (johnny come lately) competition, until I have looked through it myself. That is the way is has always been done. It's called etiquette and mutual respect. The swine violated that trust when she reached her cloven hooves into my personal space, period. After that she deserves nothing.

if i'm a hog going to slaughter because of that then so be it. I think you got it bass ackwards myself. If it were me that walked in behind someone in this same situation, I would have either waited until she was done or asked before reaching my hands into something someone else was searching through. Read reply # 4

"Now, I'm going through the jewelry and this large aggressive woman goes up right next to me and starts grabbing things from right under my chin. I politely tell her that she was invading my personal space and that she could go through the jewelry once I was finished."

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with what you're saying about someone grabbing something from you. My point though is the clerk asked her to pass over the second bag. Instead of doing that, she passed over the first bag without even completely going through it. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. From the clerk's point of view it may have appeared confrontational. I wasn't there to witness what happened, so I could be completely wrong.

As to the first part of the encounter, I agree completely that the OP should have stood their ground.

With 4 more grocery bags of jewelry to go through, letting her have the second small bag to look through (as asked by the employee) shouldn't have been that big of a deal.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
I would NEVER go back....period. There are other places and I just wouldn't take that crap. She can honk Bobo's nose!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with what you're saying about someone grabbing something from you. My point though is the clerk asked her to pass over the second bag. Instead of doing that, she passed over the first bag without even completely going through it. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. From the clerk's point of view it may have appeared confrontational. I wasn't there to witness what happened, so I could be completely wrong.

As to the first part of the encounter, I agree completely that the OP should have stood their ground.

With 4 more grocery bags of jewelry to go through, letting her have the second small bag to look through (as asked by the employee) shouldn't have been that big of a deal.
There is no way I would have gave up that second bag without looking through it first, a bag in hand is better than four possible ones, sooner or later the store owner is going to get wise to what is going on especially if people are fighting over it! Just my humble opinion.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You took it good op. I may have said hey bi*** get you're hands out of my way. Lol unno why the cashier took her side. Let's say you're at Walmart by the game case. You have customer A that notices a game is out of stock on the shelf. So the walk around and look for something different. Then customer B comes up asks if its in the back you go get it walk by customer A. You seen him looking at the blank spot on the shelf. They say I was looking at that first. Would you give the game to customer A or B. Definitely B. That lady was in the wrong and a cashier a person to serve the customers. Said don't do that in front of 2 lady's wtf? I would of filled a complaint against the cashier. Its a retail store first cone first serve.

OP
OP

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone: Thanks for the sharing your thoughts on this situation. This is one of the only stores that produces good results in my area. There is so much competition at other stores. This store is a hidden gem. No online ads, etc. Not on a main street. I will post my finds from this store later on. I've been in this store maybe 6 times and 4 out of 6 times I've found some good stuff. I'm going to try to sneak in there one day when her third employee will be in. Hopefully I can pry some stuff out. It only costs between 10 cents and 50 cents for individual items. Its not like I'll be giving her major business.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an encounter today with an alien. He was German and let everyone know it! Took a knife out of my hand after he set it down. And the seller agreed with him that it was ok.... Pissed me off though. I told him where he could shove that knife too! Next sale, he comes walking up the drive way, tries to bully me out of the way of the jewelry table. I tell him to get lost, starts rambling about how Americans are so rude! Me!! Lol. He says I'm not going to ask you again to move! The little old lady says, sir you stop and we turn and she's holding pepper spray. She told him to get lost. What a jerk off. He left yelling in German. Jerk!

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Hey everyone: Thanks for the sharing your thoughts on this situation. This is one of the only stores that produces good results in my area. There is so much competition at other stores. This store is a hidden gem. No online ads, etc. Not on a main street. I will post my finds from this store later on. I've been in this store maybe 6 times and 4 out of 6 times I've found some good stuff. I'm going to try to sneak in there one day when her third employee will be in. Hopefully I can pry some stuff out. It only costs between 10 cents and 50 cents for individual items. Its not like I'll be giving her major business.

Why not just buy the whole bag?

OP
OP

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an encounter today with an alien. He was German and let everyone know it! Took a knife out of my hand after he set it down. And the seller agreed with him that it was ok.... Pissed me off though. I told him where he could shove that knife too! Next sale, he comes walking up the drive way, tries to bully me out of the way of the jewelry table. I tell him to get lost, starts rambling about how Americans are so rude! Me!! Lol. He says I'm not going to ask you again to move! The little old lady says, sir you stop and we turn and she's holding pepper spray. She told him to get lost. What a jerk off. He left yelling in German. Jerk!

That sucks. I hate it when people act so primitive. He should have kept his distance. I'm glad that lady pointed her mace at him!

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never done this type of bag searching but it seems to me the best thing to do if you have multiple bags they let you look through is for them to only give out 1 bag at a time to avoid this type of conflict. Either that or provide a table in the back room with 1 chair for someone who wants to lay multiple bags out around them and sort one at a time. Again, I have no experience in this type of hunting but I think it looks bad. If someone comes in looking for a certain ring for example, not to resell but maybe for sentimental reasons and they don't see it in the showcase but see this guy standing there hoarding several bags of jewelry that they cant touch until he's ready to let you look, it just looks bad to me. Generally, when you walk in a store everything you see is for sale. Someone can't stand over the dvd bin and tell others to keep away until they are done. I'm not saying the OP was wrong, I am saying the shop keepers are wrong for creating such a situation.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never done this type of bag searching but it seems to me the best thing to do if you have multiple bags they let you look through is for them to only give out 1 bag at a time to avoid this type of conflict. Either that or provide a table in the back room with 1 chair for someone who wants to lay multiple bags out around them and sort one at a time. Again, I have no experience in this type of hunting but I think it looks bad. If someone comes in looking for a certain ring for example, not to resell but maybe for sentimental reasons and they don't see it in the showcase but see this guy standing there hoarding several bags of jewelry that they cant touch until he's ready to let you look, it just looks bad to me. Generally, when you walk in a store everything you see is for sale. Someone can't stand over the dvd bin and tell others to keep away until they are done. I'm not saying the OP was wrong, I am saying the shop keepers are wrong for creating such a situation.
That makes a lot of sense and is the best response on this thread. It's easy to forget (for me) that this was a brick and mortar and not a garage or an estate sale so different rules should apply. Even at some estate sales they give out numbers for the jewelry and have a table for sorting large amounts.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks diggummup , I was afraid I might stir up a hornets nest on this one but am relieved to see that you agree. I was at an estate sale today and was looking through the clothes hanging in the basement when this gentleman walks over and starts rummaging through the drawers of a chest which was right under the clothes. He was shifting around like he wanted me to move so I decided to keep looking and pulling clothes off and letting the shirt tales drag across his head. At one point I pulled off a large heavy mens jean jacket and dropped the full weight of it on him without dropping it. That's how close he was to me and needless to say it made me feel quite uncomfortable. It knocked his hat off and glasses. He left after that and so did I as I had been done looking for several minutes anyway. I just didn't want him to think he could walk over and make me move. So keeping with the thread, yes, some people at the sales are extremely rude.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread