Rude Competition

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks diggummup , I was afraid I might stir up a hornets nest on this one but am relieved to see that you agree. I was at an estate sale today and was looking through the clothes hanging in the basement when this gentleman walks over and starts rummaging through the drawers of a chest which was right under the clothes. He was shifting around like he wanted me to move so I decided to keep looking and pulling clothes off and letting the shirt tales drag across his head. At one point I pulled off a large heavy mens jean jacket and dropped the full weight of it on him without dropping it. That's how close he was to me and needless to say it made me feel quite uncomfortable. It knocked his hat off and glasses. He left after that and so did I as I had been done looking for several minutes anyway. I just didn't want him to think he could walk over and make me move. So keeping with the thread, yes, some people at the sales are extremely rude.

You Canadians are so nice though lol. Even though you can't smile on your passport picture lolol

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Canadians are so nice though lol. Even though you can't smile on your passport picture lolol
The only Canadian here is the OP. With your previous comments taken into account, you seem to be fishing for something on this thread. What might that be exactly? :icon_scratch:

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only Canadian here is the OP. With your previous comments taken into account, you seem to be fishing for something on this thread. What might that be exactly? :icon_scratch:

Watcha talking aboot fishing for? I'm not fishing for nothing

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some different takes on this.
First, I believe that every one gets what they are supposed to get. No one is taking away from someone else (unless they pry it out of your hands, but then again, you weren't meant to have it in the first place). I have a woman who always shows up at Good Will at the same time I do. We are always looking at the same stuff. I've looked over the case and took what I thought was interesting. There was one necklace I didn't get to yet. She took it. 18K gold with diamonds. Oops.
Next, and this is the big one ... the OP was handed both bags. It was THEIRS to look through until they were done. I don't care how special the second buyer is ... it was in THEIR court to decide if they wanted it or not. (Here possession is 9/10s of the law, right?) Again, same GW store, same lady last week ... I got there first. There were 3 jewelry jars in the case. I took all 3 over to the counter and was looking at them along with a pile of other jewelry. Several pieces I had decided on for sure. One jar was a probably not. The other two I was going back and forth on. She wanted to look. At one point, she was nice and pointed some stuff out to me. I decided against the first jar, and kept the other two. There was a 14K brooch with diamonds I handed to her. (I was running low on funds at that point and didn't feel it was worth it to sink $200 into a piece.) The fact is, I was there first. I had the jars in front of me and they were MINE to look at until I decided I didn't want them.
OP, you were really decent. Personally< I would never go back. I don't go to stores that don't treat me with respect. YOU are doing them a favor by spending money in their store, not the other way around. Just try your luck at the other stores. There is stuff for everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions