do any of you have booth space in a mall?

steif

Mar 2, 2007

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to here in San Antonio. Fleas here suck because everybody wants something for nothing. A lot of poor people or cheap dealers. Maybe you are in a much better area...

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a spot in a local antique mall. $125 rent and 5% commission. I sell coins, jewelry, and antiques. Ive sold as little at $300 in a month and as much as $1400. Jewelry I find does well (in season), people can try it on and see it in person. Things I dont want to ship (large, fragile) I put there. Also I find some coins and token actually do better there then they would have on eBay.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I used to have a locked display case in the local antique mall. It was 6' tall and about 30" wide with rent of $60/month. Until the price of silver dropped I averaged $450/month in sales....well worth the hour a week I spent restocking. Two months ago I got a 5'x10' booth where I mainly sell items that are too large to ship. Rent on that one is $115. Sales the first month were $1400 & so far this month almost $400. Most of my items come from entire or partial estates I buy. I make decent money splitting those up for sale on ebay & to other dealers. Most of what goes in the booth are things I either can't or don't want to sell elsewhere.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny - My 30 year old daughter came over last night saying she was thinking of getting a 12' x 12' spot down in Boothbay , Maine .

She and her hubby scoped it out the other day . It's $200.00 a week + 10% . I thought that was kind of expensive . She pointed out that it's open from 9am to 9pm 7 days a week - and when they were there the place was packed with tourists and you don't have to be there - they sell it for you .
She called me a couple hours ago - they took the plunge and got a 2 week spot . Her hubby is a vinyl record guy - she's an artist , jewelry , terrariums , mosaics - you name it . They want me to put some of my cool finds in there spot - old fans , cameras , tools, maybe even the book press - I have a lot of stuff .

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny - My 30 year old daughter came over last night saying she was thinking of getting a 12' x 12' spot down in Boothbay , Maine .

She and her hubby scoped it out the other day . It's $200.00 a week + 10% . I thought that was kind of expensive . She pointed out that it's open from 9am to 9pm 7 days a week - and when they were there the place was packed with tourists and you don't have to be there - they sell it for you .
She called me a couple hours ago - they took the plunge and got a 2 week spot . Her hubby is a vinyl record guy - she's an artist , jewelry , terrariums , mosaics - you name it . They want me to put some of my cool finds in there spot - old fans , cameras , tools, maybe even the book press - I have a lot of stuff .

That sounds really expensive. All antique malls like that are manned (they sell it for you). My case is about 3' x 5' x 2' has a glass door and is locked. I am also able to put bigger items on top and on the side of the case. At $125 a month that was the most expensive mall in my area, but it was also is in a good location, has a lot of foot traffic, and does quite a bit of advertising. $200 per week and 10% is going to eat away the profits! If you sell $1000 in a week (which is unlikely), you will only walk with $700. People gripe about eBay taking 10%!!!

ps - I'm only a few hours down Rt 95 from you!

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
mall/market

I have 2 locked glass displays (4ft. ea.) and a 10' open booth for larger items. The rent is $20 ea. for the cases and $40 for the booth. They also charge 10% on sales. I average about $1000 a month in sales. Coins and jewelry make up the bulk of the sales and the booth is almost pure profit on items that comes from auctions. I go to Arizona for the winter and they mail me a check every month. You must be able to trust the managers when you have thousands of dollars in coins and jewelry. Works great for me.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I have 5 booths in a flea market, 2 spots in one antique mall, 2 spots in another mall, and 1 spot in yet another mall.

I am going to close out the single spot in the mall this week due to extremely slow sales.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

That price is absolutely insane.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That sounds really expensive. All antique malls like that are manned (they sell it for you). My case is about 3' x 5' x 2' has a glass door and is locked. I am also able to put bigger items on top and on the side of the case. At $125 a month that was the most expensive mall in my area, but it was also is in a good location, has a lot of foot traffic, and does quite a bit of advertising. $200 per week and 10% is going to eat away the profits! If you sell $1000 in a week (which is unlikely), you will only walk with $700. People gripe about eBay taking 10%!!!

ps - I'm only a few hours down Rt 95 from you!

Also, 50% of that is likely going back into inventory. That leaves you with $200 profit. Then you have to pay taxes on that.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
3 selling scenarios:

Assuming you dont factor in associated costs when acquiring inventory. Assuming you "double your money" on all items. ie... buy item at $10 sell item at $20.

1. High-end flea market. Cost of table is no more than $35. Gas to get there another $25. Pay yourself $10 per hour to work the table @ 7 hours = $70. You can easily clear $500 a day selling here (if not much more). 50% of that back into inventory leaves you with $250 minus $130 in expenses = $120 profit. That is a margin of 24%. This leaves you with $190 for a day's work (after paying yourself $70).

2. The margin on the booth rental scenario above in post #12 leaves you with 20% margin. This leaves you with $200 and might take 2 weeks to a month but you dont have to do much work aside from stocking your booth once a week or so for a few hours.

3. ebay: Selling $1000 worth of items. Assume 12% total fees and assuming you break even on all shipping charges = $120. 50% back into inventory = $500. Total profit = $380. Margin = 38%. This leaves you with $380 and could take 1-2 weeks and you have to do all the work associated with listing and shipping every item. You can also break this down and assume 0.5 hours per item of your time @ $10 per hour. This is dependant on how many items you sell to make $1000 and that is a major variable.

Feel free to make corrections or add your own scenario.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I buy full/partial estates in addition to stuff from garage sales, antique malls & thrift stores. When I'm buying individual items it's either jewelry/PM's or things to sell on ebay. Margin's are pretty darn good after ebay fees, starting at twice what I paid.

Estates work a little differently for me. I pay myself $10/ hour for all the time it takes to move everything to my house, sort it into categories & sell items to other dealers & on ebay. If I've estimated the estate right & paid accordingly at that point I've made enough to cover my hourly plus got back 2-3 times my investment. Anything left is assigned a zero inventory value. Most of that is then sold in my booth at the antique mall.

Last edited:

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
I sell my stuff, on a local Facebook yard sale site. I got 2 beta-brite digital signs for $5.00 a piece at yard sale. Posted them for $200.00 for both on local yard sale . Selling them to a gentleman for 200.00 ! $190.00 profit ..:occasion14:

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Dealer Set-up

Thursday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Flea Market Business Hours

Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Cookeville Mall portion is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Each store's hours vary according to owner - times will be posted on store front).

Please feel free to call (931) 349-5710 with any inquiries.

All pricing below includes city and county business tax and state sales tax.

Prior to set up, spaces must be reserved and paid for (in full) at the office. No refunds.

Management reserves the right to refuse space to any dealer. Excessive noise by any Dealer is not permitted. Rent for the following weekend must be paid in full at the office by 4 p.m. on Sunday. No exceptions.

Dealers are required to remove all merchandise by 6:00 pm Sunday of the last weekend rented. Space rental is to be only completed by office personnel or management. No subletting permitted.

Reserved spaces are held until 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

If not paid by this time, the space will be rented to the next Dealer in line, unless prior arrangements have been made with Mall management. A Dealer must pay for all rental space no matter whether the Dealer is in the space or not.

No refunds will be allowed if the Cookeville Mall Flea Market is closed due to bad weather.

Booth Rates

Booth Pricing

Rate per Weekend

10’ x 10’

$45

Mall Kiosk

Prices Vary
(Contact (931) 349-5710)

Table Rental

$4

Security Gate for Booth
$5

Note: All booth rates include city and county business tax and state sales tax.
All booth rentals have free access to wireless internet connection.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The costs for antique malls in my area differ greatly. I have one where I pay for 85 dollars a month, no fees and is 6 x 8 x 2 but higher end items tend to move very slowly if at all. This shop tends to always have open spaces somewhere in the mall. The other one is pretty pricey but items move very fast and is a higher end mall. They charge rent by case or you can buy stalls by the square foot. The price for square foot is 1.99 for the front part of the mall and 1.65 for back parts of the mall. These boths are pre-made and run from 180 - 600 per month. This mall also charges 12 percent commission. There is also a 4 to 6 month wait to get a booth or cabinet. I like this mall unfortunately because of the high commission rate, silver and gold jewelry are sometime cost prohibitive.

Cheers - Galen

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So about how much do you guys clear as profit in a month? What do you guys sell mainly? I know I saw a lot of coins and jewelry. Anyone sell glassware?

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
No, but I bet you could get a pretty good deal at the mall of the mainland in Texas City. It's over 1,000,000 ft.² and the only tenant Left is Sears.....

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
So about how much do you guys clear as profit in a month? What do you guys sell mainly? I know I saw a lot of coins and jewelry. Anyone sell glassware?

I'm not going to open up my books and show anyone my profits, but since I have nine booths at three malls, and that I've been doing this for 10 years, that should tell you something.

Buy it right, sell it right, keep your booth or case attractive, and be in the right mall or flea market is the basic key to success.

Keeping those costs in line, and having the right merchandise is also key.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the flea market keep a record of what you sell? They keep your tags right? Do you get those back?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions