Movie Poster Questions

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I picked up these three pieces of movie memorabilia this morning at a yard sale. The 2 larger ones look like copies to me. No idea on the smaller one. It has a high gloss finish like a photograph. These are so far outside my area of expertise I don't have a clue. I'm hoping someone could tell me what the obvious signs of reproductions are.

009.JPG

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere that smaller movie posters are generally decorative modern reproductions... the old theaters went either super large or super small (lobby cards) with their marketing. There weren't nearly as many movies coming out back then, so there was a "go big or go home" (or "go small and take home") philosophy with the printed material. Not sure what to tell you on the black and white one.

Check them out with a loupe - are there any signs of pixelation or modern reproduction techniques?

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I read somewhere that smaller movie posters are generally decorative modern reproductions... the old theaters went either super large or super small (lobby cards) with their marketing. There weren't nearly as many movies coming out back then, so there was a "go big or go home" (or "go small and take home") philosophy with the printed material. Not sure what to tell you on the black and white one.

Check them out with a loupe - are there any signs of pixelation or modern reproduction techniques?

Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Anybody know how big a lobby card should be? I'm not seeing any pixilation on these. The larger ones have weak areas where the color is washed out & the detail doesn't seem crisp making it look "fuzzy" when you get close. That's why I believe they are repops.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
It looks like what you have there are two lobby cards and a publicity still.

I don't know how much you paid but you might have a nice deal here.

Here's some quick links I found. Sorry I don't know how to make shorter links. :dontknow:

Rio Bravo lobby card:
8 Original 1959 Rio Bravo John Wayne Dean Martin Ricky Nelson Lobby Card Western | eBay

The Sign of Zorro lobby card:
Guy Williams The Sign of Zorro Orig USA Lobby Card Set 8 Cards Disney 1960 | eBay

The Son of Zorro publicity still:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/a2aa9b84241326f4919b018b85248ac2/tumblr_mkrcfm46131r827vgo1_400.gif

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I paid $9 for them. They are mounted under glass that's held to a piece of board with metal clips. Pretty sure they will sell in my booth at the antique mall for $15-20 each for the bigger ones & $12-15 for the small one even if they are repops. On the other hand, I don't want to sell them too cheap if they are the real deal.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The B&W zorro looks like it is a publicity photo, printed on kodak paper by a negative.
get that loupe out again. any dot pattern and it was printed with ink on glossy paper.
If nice crisp blacks and good greys it is photograph.

I have 5 movie brochures I bought at an antique store in Japan. They are the type that were handed out to everybody as they went into the theatre. I have listed every one a few times and they do not sell. See the photos below. Top rate american movies but all in Japanese. Any ideas on where to sell?

Attachments

• 720824744_o.jpg
    720824744_o.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 720824605_o.jpg
    720824605_o.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 720824308_o.jpg
    720824308_o.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 83

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread