TL 63.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 122

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's awesome! Azurite occurring with malachite - also known as Chrysocolla or Alaska Opal.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damn! you da man! Are you in the jewelry industry?

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paid $25 and I don't feel bad about it

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paid $25 and I don't feel bad about it

Agreed. I would ask at least 160.00 on ebay and 200.00 brick and mortar. More if you've got a good customer base.

Thanks. I am in the jewelry business.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious how someone can make such an accurate description from a photo that is dark and not the best quality. Are you a certified gemologist? That's good!!

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious how someone can make such an accurate description from a photo that is dark and not the best quality. Are you a certified gemologist? That's good!!

That deep blue is a dead giveaway. I was going to guess Azurite just by the photo.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better pics

Attachments

• TL 63 2.jpg
    TL 63 2.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 81
  • TL 63 3.jpg
    TL 63 3.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 87

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to research the hallmark for you but Mexican hallmarks are rough to look up. I did find a bracelet with the same TL 63 mark, and in it was this excerpt...."This bracelet is Hallmarked as Made in Taxco by artist whose hallmark is listed on page 120 of author Bille Hougart's valuable reference volume, "The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade & Hallmarks - 2001".

Other searches I saw mentions of William Spratling, unsure if it his or not.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lapis doesn't have any green in it.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to research the hallmark for you but Mexican hallmarks are rough to look up. I did find a bracelet with the same TL 63 mark, and in it was this excerpt...."This bracelet is Hallmarked as Made in Taxco by artist whose hallmark is listed on page 120 of author Bille Hougart's valuable reference volume, "The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade & Hallmarks - 2001".

Other searches I saw mentions of William Spratling, unsure if it his or not.

Not Spratling because he died in 1967. He did have an Eagle Mark 63 in the late 60s. The only modern mark for his work is TS 24 and those are repros of his designs.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's awesome! Azurite occurring with malachite - also known as Chrysocolla or Alaska Opal.

Azurite with malachite certainly does not equal chrysocolla. They are all copper minerals, and occur in the same places, but the names are not interchangeable.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Azurite with malachite certainly does not equal chrysocolla. They are all copper minerals, and occur in the same places, but the names are not interchangeable.
The azurite with Malachite is correct. The chrysocolla is different stone from what I can see.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to tell from the poor photos exactly what is going on with the bracelet. It certainly looks like it could be azurite/malachite. BUT, azurite/malachite is very soft and really unsuitable for bracelets. Especially in as thin a slice as would be necessary for the bracelet's design. It is more likely azurite and malachite which has been crushed and epoxy filled to make the panels. This is how a lot of the "inlay" work is done in Mexican and Native American jewelry. I do cut and polish azurite, malachite, chrysocolla, and combinations thereof, sometimes with cuprite or shattuckite mixed in. Except for the highly agatized "gem silica" or "gem chrsocolla" these stones are really more suited for necklace and earring applications due to the fact that they scratch easily and are easily broken by impact.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The azurite with Malachite is correct. The chrysocolla is different stone from what I can see.

Agreed. Your are spot on. I was a bit hasty there. All those hydrates, suflates, carbonates....

I know the pictures aren't great but I can see it's an awesome piece regardless. We've sold hundreds of pieces of Mexican jewelry with this outrageous combo. Heavy bracelets like that demand a premium. They can sometimes take a while to sell, but you'll get an excellent return. Don't worry about who the artist is. It's a Taxco studio piece and that's enough. I would guess 1980's-1990's. In general, I won't sell even the "unknown" taxco pieces like that for under $3.00 per gram.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to tell from the poor photos exactly what is going on with the bracelet. It certainly looks like it could be azurite/malachite. BUT, azurite/malachite is very soft and really unsuitable for bracelets. Especially in as thin a slice as would be necessary for the bracelet's design. It is more likely azurite and malachite which has been crushed and epoxy filled to make the panels. This is how a lot of the "inlay" work is done in Mexican and Native American jewelry. I do cut and polish azurite, malachite, chrysocolla, and combinations thereof, sometimes with cuprite or shattuckite mixed in. Except for the highly agatized "gem silica" or "gem chrsocolla" these stones are really more suited for necklace and earring applications due to the fact that they scratch easily and are easily broken by impact.

I think it's natural. Stabilized maybe, but it doesn't look like crushed or powdered/reconstituted material to me. I'll post some photos of super cool raw material and a nice inlaid bracelet / necklace combo.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed. I was always under the impression that with chysocolla the blue was from azurite and the green from malachite. I just flipped through a mineral text and it looks a lot more complicated than that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread