Trophy Bowl . . . Now I Have 1st Prize!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
At the end of an all-day tour of area thrift shops I was back at an old favorite . . . nice staff, well sorted variety of stuff.
Anyway I was strolling aisle with the silverplate - I always double check the big serving items. I notice this silver bowl, too big to eat cereal from, maybe you could put nuts in it. It's been inscribed, to somebody named I. Preis. The rest is in German (mentions Berlin) and is dated 1950.
It feels funny to me. It's too light to be that big. The metal is thin but quite sturdy. I put it down and walk away. I browse the glassware and figurines. Something keeps nagging at me to go look at the bowl again. So I whip out the smart phone and try to get a translation of the inscription from Google. Eventually I gathered that I. Preis is not a person; it means 1st Prize. Meisterschaft means championship.
So the inscription reads:
"1st Prize, Bridge Championship Berlin, 1950". I set it down and went over to check out the clothing, then the electronics, then the housewares. Something bugged me about this bowl. I couldn't leave it. It was my only purchase of the day.
I took my bowl home and gave it a deep scratch and acid tested it. Scratched the same scratch deeper, tested again. Third time - dug a groove in the bottom of that bowl and tested again. It keeps coming up silver. Now I'm really intrigued, who would give away an unmarked silver bowl? I sit down and start going over this thing with a loupe.
I didn't need it - the marks were there the whole time. It was 83.5% silver, over a pound of it.
After taking a few photos as mementos, I took it to the local metals buyer and he gave me $140. I could have done better mailing it off and waiting for a check, but he just makes it quick and easy.
So the morals of the story are "Always double check the big silver plate" and "Sometimes you should follow your gut, if the risk is not significant."
BTW - Thats the price in red grease pencil - $4.94. The G stands for green, every day they have at least two 1/2 price colors. This was a Blue and White day, so I had to pay full price. That last pic is the only one I have to indicate it's size. Thats a medium Flat-Rate Priority Mail box.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 103
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Makers.jpg
    Makers.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Regional Rate A.jpg
    Regional Rate A.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 91

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Buy! But it hurts my heart to think it might simply be melted down. That's a nice bowl.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a way it hurts, but that's what I'd would have settled for on it also "just scrap". I just can't see much more value in it. I sure would have looked in to the history of it first maybe only for the general interest of it. Who knows maybe it was the only thing left of some grand event of the past???

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! I don't know about collectors of vintage bridge items...I do know of collectors of sports trophies and horse racing items in silver and melting those would amount to a tragic mistake in value and saleability.

Due to the lower prices of silver in the last year, nothing but stockpiling the stuff for me, gold still costs me enough where I do melt that without a second thought to keep the cash rolling.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typically I would agree with not melting down a piece of history but I don't think melting this particular piece would do any harm. In 1950, contract Bridge in Germany wasn't too popular, therefore the interest wouldn't be there for the item. If it was from the 1950 Bermuda Bowl, I would think differently. History of the Bermuda Bowl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions