Todays Gold Finds - nearly cried with the Cartier find!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, I will literally smell pieces that I'm unsure about, most of the silver and all of the gold I've subjected to this test is odorless. Fake gold/silver and pretty much all costume jewelry has a brassy "metal" smell, like clad coins. I read that tip here somewhere at some point and people look at you very oddly if they catch you sneaking a sniff of jewelry but it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, I will literally smell pieces that I'm unsure about, most of the silver and all of the gold I've subjected to this test is odorless. Fake gold/silver and pretty much all costume jewelry has a brassy "metal" smell, like clad coins. I read that tip here somewhere at some point and people look at you very oddly if they catch you sneaking a sniff of jewelry but it hasn't steered me wrong yet.
Too funny - at least I'm not the only one. ;)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if yours is real or not. I'm guessing the jeweler told you it wasn't because of the mark. However I did manage to find a Cartier mark that is not in script right here- Cartier Jewelry Maker's Mark - Antique Jewelry University so I wouldn't dismiss it yet. Maybe get a second opinion.

Cartier_Mark_1.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya never know Digs could be laggit :dontknow:, I do know Georg Jensen has a mark for pieces made in Denmark and an other mark for pieces made in New York I think. Maybe Cartier did the same thing over pieces from France and pieces produced outside of France. Need to look at more on Cartier marks to be sure. That piece looks the style of the retro late 40's to the 50's to me. Being gold would be good enough for me.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if yours is real or not. I'm guessing the jeweler told you it wasn't because of the mark. However I did manage to find a Cartier mark that is not in script right here- Cartier Jewelry Maker's Mark - Antique Jewelry University so I wouldn't dismiss it yet. Maybe get a second opinion.
Thanks. I'll def keep it in mind for future Cartier find (yea, right!!). I sold it last week. Still got $250 for it. Paid $0.50....not a bad return on investment.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread