If you never seen it before do you buy it?

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an old saying and when I saw it I became curious and wanted to ID it (not so concerned about its value). After buying it I started to search the web and so far unable to find another example. I am wondering what other forum members think.

It looks like a Black Aventurine Murano Glass Buddha to me.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I found two examples of black murano aventurine glass figurines to compare it to.
And it has a wide price range.

Rare Large Murano Black and Gold Flecks Italian Art Glass Tiger Sculpture at 1stdibs

Murano Duck Figurine from scholaertcassel on Ruby Lane

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
budda didnt have..you know those things did he?

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same thought occurred to me. However, I believe people rub Buddha's belly for luck.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thinks its amazing. Also its very rare to see a piece of this quality not signed. So did you look for a signature at all angles in the light? The bottom of the base, the sides of the base, where the punty was?

If you hold it up to the sun does the black look purple or more black? About how tall is it?

Yes I buy most things I haven't seen before. Mostly they are mistakes but I think you have a real find.

Also if it matters to you its gold leaf. Similar but very slightly different than aventurine. Same gold leaf furniture and all other craftspeople use but its inside the glass. Where did you find such a beauty. I think its much nicer than that tiger but I think that tiger has an insane price. Is it for sale?

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, very curious!

I seriously doubt that it represents a Buddha of any kind!!!

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumpsterdiver, I found it in a TS. There is no signature I can find. Sunlight does not pass through the glass. It stays black.
It's is 6" x 6" x 8" and it weighs 7 1/2 lbs.
It's not for sale yet until I have a better idea of what it is. I am going to post it with another signed and numbered piece of Sommerso controlled bubble piece I found last week on a Murano glass forum and see if the "experts" there have an opinion.
image.jpg
image.jpg

JohnnyFlake I was thinking it also looks like Emperor Ming

image.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt it's Murano and made by artist who know's their way around glass. I think you scored something unique. Made in the 1950's I'm thinking, but I wouldn't be surprised find out it was made in the 1930's.

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's doesn't feel so lonely now I found a similar example image.jpg

A murano glass expert just got back to me and confirmed it is Murano and attributed it to
Alfredo Barbanini. He also mentioned it is a great find.

-------------------------------------------------------
1912-2007, Murano , Italy
-------------------------------------------------------

With a long lineage of glass-making tradition tracing back to 1658, Alfredo Barbini began making glass in 1925 and consequently became recognized as one of the leading figures in Murano glass during the 20th century.

Barbini glass is known for the thick facade with crackling and bubbles and the use of the highly skilled submersion method developed by Alfredo Barbini.

The massello technique (a technique in which glass is stretched, molded and fused, allowing multiple pieces to be joined without seams) is a technique peculiar to the Murano glass-makers. Beginning as a method used in specialized production of ornaments made from a single block of glass while producing these ornaments, Alfredo Barbini perfected his submersion or, vetro sommerso technique which he strongly favored as his signature style. This technique plays on the thickness, transparency and tone of the superimposed colors or placing of prepared objects inside the glass mass. Barbini's skill in making the fusing point of the glass masses non-existent was second to none.

Works made by the master are recognisable for the A. Barbini signature on the actual work whereas those made by the production team are signed Barbini. Murano.

SELECTED COLLECTIONS

The Corning Museum of Glass, New YorK, United States
Los Angeles County Museum, Los Angeles, United States
The Denver Art Museum, Denver, United States
Musee des Arts Decortifs, Paris, France
Museum Haaretz, Tel-Aviv, Israel
Victoria & Albert Museum, London, United Kingdom
The Royal Scottish Museum, Edinburgh, Scotland
Kunstindustrimuseet, Oslo, Norway
Musee du verre, Ligee, France
Stadtglarie, Oberhausen, Germany
Kunstasammlugen, Veste Coburg, Germany
Kunstmuseum, Dusseldorf, Germany
Galleria d'Arte Moderna Ca' Pesaro, Venezia, Italy
Museo Vetrario di Murano, Italy

AWARDS

Osella d'Oro, awarded 1975, Venice Associazione degli Industriale, Italy
Honorary title Commendatore, awarded 1978
Venetian of the Year, 1989, Settimare Association

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my wisdom teeth taken out today. Which was more awful than I was lead to believe. I had some time to research. My first guess is Pinos Signoretto's work to me. Here is a video him making a more complex version.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr-iT5Yrrrw>

But Barbini would be more in line with Tamrocks dating. Which I agree with.

What did the murano board think? And where is this board?

If you put it up on eBay or elsewear and I would appreciate it if you PM me. Never seen anything like that in a thrift store. What a lucky day.

The solid black to me with no purple usually eliminates any possibility of a talented knock off, American or Chinese made. 7&1/2 lbs so it must be completely solid.

Where is this murano board. I would like to check it out sometime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you feel better soon.

The info I got was from the forum. If the factory is still in business I am thinking to contact them for confirmation or maybe a major auction house. I found another black and gold statue attributed to Barbini that has similar characteristics
Alfredo Barbini Murano Art Glass Arab Snake Charmer Figurine | eBay

The forums address is Murano Glass Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Yes, it was a lucky find. It seemed to jump out at me. Once it's maker is determined then I'll put it up for sale.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I think I let the pain get ahead of the pain medication for awhile there. If you know someone who speaks Italian it might make it a little easier to communicate with the factory.

I think that auction you posted was by far the strongest resemblance. Identical feet, similar face, similar pedestal, similar scale of work, and its also not marked. Actually the feet are pretty convincing. Some factories used stickers.

Thanks for sharing that link. I would think you would have had a few more responses.

Good luck and if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me I would try to make it to a NY or NJ area. This might be one of those areas where some library books would hold a little more credence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions