Old Picks #1

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
We aren't buying anything these days as we try to sell off inventory. So, unfortunately, I don't have anything new to post. However, just for fun I thought I would post some items I picked up before joining TreasureNet.

A couple of years ago we went to an estate auction and I picked up a box full of (mostly) old newspapers and magazines for $20. I wasn't sure what all was in there until I got home and was able to go through it in detail. The best items were these:

A couple of 1950s men's cheesecake pocket magazines featuring Betty Page:
DSC05328.JPG DSC05313.JPG
DSC05319.JPG DSC05325.JPG

And this newspaper special section:
DSC05250.JPG DSC05245.JPG

The Betty Page mags sold for about $40 each and the newspaper for, I think, $75.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame that vintage cheesecake sold for less than vintage (dare I say) "beefcake". lol Nice find. I wouldn't have expected old Joe to sell for that much to be honest. I guess because it's an old Super Bowl paper and it's the NYDN, the home paper?

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a little surprised by the price I got for the Jets newspaper. However, that was an iconic Super Bowl as it was the first time an AFL team won and Broadway Joe famously predicted they would win even though almost everybody thought they didn't stand a chance against Johnny Unitas and the Colts. If memory serves it was purchased by somebody in the New York / New Jersey area. I think being a New York paper helped boost the price.

There was one odd thing about the Swagger magazine. When I checked eBay prices on it, I found the identical magazine had sold just a few weeks before for over $200 with several bidders. I thought that was odd because several of these little pocket magazines featuring Betty Page had sold in the $30 - $50 range. I figured the Swagger mag sold for more because it was Volume 1, #1. I couldn't get any interest in it at anywhere near $200 and eventually sold it for around $40.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread