How far do you let karma go?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of seems like an interesting topic. Every weekend we all go out to get good deals and then there's always the opportunity to be honest with somebody to really make their day. So where do you draw the line or do you ever? I don't want this to be a judging thread I'm just kind of curious and I want to tell you little bit about my past and what happened with it.

Two days ago I found an iPad on the ground driving home. Whoever owned it cleaned it off after I brought it home and spent two hours trying to find out who belong to. Meanwhile I put it on craigslist I had a couple calls of people saying he was theirs but nobody could tell me what the password was and they would hang up when I asked. So I will check craigslist for the next week and if nobody puts one up there is missing and can describe the Case it came in and I'm going to sell it bottom-line. I have two. I sure don't want another one this one to go.

When I first moved to Florida I was broke I went to the bank and there was a black bag on the ground when I walked in. Pick it up and it was a bag of diamonds I lived in Naples Florida and there are a Ton of people that are very wealthy plus a lot of businesses used this bank and I'm sure they used safe deposit boxes. I turned it in a week later I got a phone call that I have a reward there. I go back the manager told me that the diamonds were worth $250,000! And the owner of them wanted to give me a reward for turning them in. In that envelope was a $20 bill and a two dollar bill! I was mad!

Then when I was 16 I went camping with my parents. I wanted to buy a car but did not have quite enough for the Mustang GT 5.0 that I wanted. So being 16 and kind of a spoiled kid I threw a fit and my moms like no you know what instead were not going to buy you a car you can buy your own. Well I went down to the washroom to take a shower and some guy left his pants there. Well inside of his pants was a water of cash $8000 to be exact! I take the money back and I tell my mom you know what I'll buy my own car you have to buy one for me and I throw the money on the table! They talked me into what is right and we find the guy who left it there at the campground and gave him his $8000 back! He turns to me and says don't you dare touch my money again or I'll break your jaw!

So fast forward to today , I sell for people for a living on eBay. So when I go to their house I have to be honest with them because I want to make sure once I tell them what their stuff is worth they don't take it to another place and try to sell it and get more. And also I buy at yard sales and estate sales and sometimes I feel kind of guilty when I know I'm paying five dollars for something that's worth several hundred! But then again I have to eat too or else it's back to work at the job I hated! Does karma ever affect you?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a wallet w/ $800 at a golf course, turned in at the pro shop, all money and credit cards included. Dude returns, claims it, while I'm still there, and barely thanks me. The golf pro stood up for me, saying how honest and moral I was, dude shrugged his shoulders, and walked out...left me hanging w/ nothing. BTW, I wasn't there to play golf, I was job hunting, times were tough, real tough, and I would have appreciated him "throwing me a bone". Karma? I know not.

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
it amazes me that people can be that careless with their wealth and then so rude and disrespectful to a person returning it

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah some are rude and ignorant - what can you do? Karma will always effect you. When you do what is right like returning a wallet which I've done many times, or $50.00 extra a drive through bank teller gives you by mistake (it comes out of their pocket at end of day) - you are building good karma. Now you might not see the results from the person you did the good deed for but down the line - you will reap good things. Conversely, if you are a bonafide Smagel/Scrooge/Mr. Potter, well your bad karma will follow you like a shadow. I've seen it happen time after time in my life. And think how sick you'd feel if you lost your wallet and CC's, and then got it back. Do good for the sake of doing good not for the reward, and you'll see life will reward you many times over.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I.....have returned 3 wallets I found, all had money in them. no reward.
OK
I have helped little old ladies with their grocerys, Helped them with cars that would not start etc.
OK.

Givin the homeless food, shoes, money..
Recently I helped an elderly gentleman that was being harrased/bothered/threatned by some disrespectfull teenagers.
My luck has been bad...very bad. Health problems. Money problems. You name it.
Would I do it all again?
yep. Without even thinking about it.
I now... do not believe in karma.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Buying something for the price somebody stuck on the item doesnt make you dishonest.The greedy idiots that then try to talk the seller into an even lower price,when the said item is worth a lot more,in my book are pieces of garbage,i have no problem at all telling it to their faces.If you buy something worth more than what youre buying it for,think of it as good karma,dont think of it as you being dishonest.Youre not the one that put the price tag on it.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Cash, you did not make the price. Besides, as we all know, finds are getting harder and harder to come by since the advent of reality tv shows. When you do get a good deal don't feel guilty. I once found a wallet LOADED with money. I just flipped through it quickly and saw all large bills. I found it on the ground right next to a pickup truck that still had the door open. I saw the guy standing on the other side of his truck and proceeded to walk over and hand it to him. He had his back to me and I could easily have stuck it in my pocket. When I said excuse me and he turned and saw his wallet he snatched it from my hand with the speed of a rattlesnake strike and turned his back to me and began counting it. No thank you, no nothing. I would do the same thing all over again. Some people are just like that. I actually find it humorous. At the time it's not very funny but it is funny to look back on.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walking through the mall once, I heard a guy telling his kid that he couldn't afford to buy him some toy he wanted. Still walking around the store i found a wallet that happened to belong to the guy that was talking to his kid earlier. The wallet was loaded with money and CC's. I returned the wallet to the guy, he gave me a 20 dollar reward, and in turn i gave the 20 dollars to the kid and told him i hope he enjoys his new toy. The dad looked at me, i smiled and said "Karma", he smiled and we parted ways lol.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
My theories on karma. If somebody loses a large amount of money that is karma punishing them for something. Who am I to stand in the way of karma? Seriously though I have never been in that situation. When I was like 7 I saw a guy drop a $5 bill from his pocket, I picked it up and chased after him yelling "sir sir sir", but he never turned around and walked out of the bowling alley into a dark parking lot. I did not go outside and follow him, I was more in fear of my parents knowing I chased some guy into a dark parking lot.

My only recent money issue was at an estate sale, the garage helper guy put a $10 bill on the table while helping another customer and then forgot about it. I walked up to him and asked him how much for the $10 bill? He snatches it out of my hand and not so much as a thank you. Though that situation is different, I knew the guy and I knew the lady running the sale. She is always good to me so it is not like a stranger in the parking lot situation. Though a thank you would have been nice. But the thousands of dollars I have made off her sales will have to comformt me at night.

I cannot say with 100% certainty what I would do. I say all situations are different.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-426129269.jpg

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it funny that most people who often preach Karma also preach freedom from materialism and equality for all, but are the first to repatriate a sack of cash to its wealthy owner.

Think of all the good that money could do in the hands of someone wise enough not to drop it in the street...

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Karma is the superstition of modern times. What else do we have? We're all a lot smarter now than we were in the Middle Ages. Anyone with half a brain nowadays will contemplate karma.

I had a job last year, which paid pretty good. I was thinking about getting a Corvette. I ranted and babbled constantly to my coworkers about corvettes. My buddy said there was a guy on night-shift who had a nice C6 'vette, and he drove it in sometimes. Well one night he did drive in, and I didn't see it and backed up right into it. It cost $2900 in damages. Needless to say, my desire for a corvette shrank like your testicles would after falling through the ice in January. Karma?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do not know if its karma or not but awhile back i needed some gas money so i got some trashy silver things out to sell to a silver buyer well i got there and he was closed,well i was rather bummed out cause i needed the gas to get to work 70 miles down the road,well i looked down and there was a twenty blowing down towards me i picked it up and thought well half way there but i need alittle more,so down comes another twenty,true story...is that karma?

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karma is one thing, a found treasure is another...Inside the bank, a bag of diamonds will be turned in to the manager. Those same diamonds without any information attached and found in a mall parking lot are mine, mine, mine!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup war digs it im thinking ones are getting karma and not understanding it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether karma exists or not does not matter. As long as you feel you have done the "right" thing in a given situation, is all that matters.

I must be paying for my shortcomings of a former life if indeed it does exist, that's all I can say about that.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
...when I was 16 I went camping with my parents. Well I went down to the washroom to take a shower and some guy left his pants there. Well inside of his pants was a water of cash $8000 to be exact! ...we find the guy who left it there at the campground and gave him his $8000 back! He turns to me and says don't you dare touch my money again or I'll break your jaw!

When I first moved to Florida I was broke I went to the bank and there was a black bag on the ground when I walked in. Pick it up and it was a bag of diamonds... worth $250,000! And the owner of them wanted to give me a reward for turning them in. In that envelope was a $20 bill and a two dollar bill! I was mad!

Two days ago I found an iPad on the ground driving home...

Sounds to me that karma keeps trying to take care of you and when you keep refusing to accept, karma gets mad. With the way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of the iPad shows up tomorrow and sics his dobie on you. <jk>

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Karma took care of me a few times,Once walking to work when I lived in NH.I was walking the old railroad tracks(nice and peaceful,no traffic noise)I was broke and out of butts,looking forward to a nights work with no butts.walking along I came across an almost full pack of butts(my brand)there was even a pack of matches in the cellophane.another time I was again broke doing laundry,I opened the dryer door to throw my clothes in,sitting inside was a 20 dollar bill.another time it was winter,no work coming in,my bank account was down to 300 bucks.I had an unmarked necklace that i never bothered to have checked out.so just for the hell of it i brought to the guy down the street that makes gold jewelry.It turned out to be almost 30 grams of 22k gold,i got 900 bucks for it.My most recent one was pulling into the grocery store parking lot.I saw something shiny laying on the ground.I first thought it was a candy wrapper or something.I pulled up next to it,opened the door and picked it up.No candy wrappers here,it turned out to be a 22k and sterling bracelet weighing 1 1/2 ounces,maybe a 1/2 ounce of sterling and 1 ounce of 22k. I still have it and i wear it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WOULD SAY - 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 WHEN IVE RETURNED A RING - AS SOON AS I GOT BACK IN THE WATER - I FOUND ONE RIGHT OFF THE BAT
SO I BELIEVE IN KARMA - AND IVE HAD A ROUGH LIFE - I GOT ALL KINDS OF MEDICAL ISSUES AND IM NOT WELL OFF - BUT ALWAYS GIVE TO OTHERS
WHEN I CAN - AND HELP OTHERS WHEN I CAN
I HAVE TO - IM THE FRIENDLY GHOST

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ED-AL927_glovie_G_20100726172533.jpg good things happen to BAD people , bad things happen to good people. Anne Frank died in a gas chamber.millions were murdered in cambodia by Pol Pot . there is no karmic wheel keeping things in balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread