Thrift store hunter status: Bush League

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photo edited to protect the ignorant newbie.

20140724_191214.jpg

I was out doing a little thrifting with my wife today and saw a guy literally carrying around an open laptop/workbook in the tableware section, picking things up, searching them, and keeping/putting back. Not just double checking the odd item here and there to confirm suspicions on value, but straight up item at a time.

We laughed it off and did a few errands. On the way home, we hit another GWill.

There he was again in this one, searching the things online, checking prices.

When he was done, he went to buy his finds, and started talking with the cashier about the value of the things he picked up. And the laptop was still open on the counter while he was paying.

I personally think it's in bad taste to make it clear you're in the store for profit when you're surrounded by people who are shopping there because they're having a tough time. That's why the teens going through clothes and laughing makes me cringe, because there's a mom buying her kids' clothes there in the other aisle. But that's just personal opinion.

So, let's go for that Bush League strikeout.

Strike 1: Really, standing around with an open laptop checking eBay prices? Everyone checks the odd item, but using it as a guide in the store?
Strike 2: Talking with the workers about the undervaluing of items? Are you training the employees to run you out of your own business?
Strike 3: Black shoes with a blue shirt? Fashion faux pas!

You're OUTTA THERE!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really needed that laugh!

I'm convinced the people that do every single item are the people who just watched a reality show. As long as you don't tell them how to search the sold listings I don't think they are a threat. If you have been a collector of anything you are probably an observant enough person to guess what might be an unusual item. I feel the total beginners should look every item up at home. Or go to the store take a picture and then go home and look everything up.

But then on the other hand; one of the auction I have been frequenting has this guy who owns several stores and wins maybe 70% of the box lots auctions didn't know what a phone insulator was. Three full boxes of phone insulators and the guy has no idea what they are. He ask the auctioneer who was confused by the question. This is a guy who leaves the auction with a couple of box trucks full of items. Its times like that when I think I must be doing something wrong. Because I don't even have the need for a van yet.

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And shorts above the knee to boot! (Maybe it's Larry Bird???, circa 1984) - Anyways, What was once a fun and relaxed hobby has become polluted by reality shows, and creeps like this. I can look up anything anywhere, but honestly hate it due to the fact that I hate doing internet chores on a timy little smartphone! I look up the ocassional item, but that means I am going out of my comfort zone and usually spending money I wont get back unless I find a closed action that started low and went high due to numerous bids......Not this nonsense where sellers are using $100 opening bids on something worth $15

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic picker fail! Friggin amateur and a dweeb. Example of a legitimate reason to pull out your web device at a thrift store... I was looking for a match to an obscure vintage shirt I found (bought). Still haven't found another one like it. It's a "John Barleycorn Must Die" shirt, only it is not a tee shirt , the label dates it to the era of the song by Traffic. Probably not worth too much but it was half price from $2.99, so a no brainer.

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I got rid of my smart phone. It was taking away from my enjoyment of nearly everything. I was not "in the moment" on anything anymore. It was taking away from the thrill of the hunt for me, and wasting time to boot. I do miss it sometimes, but the fact that I'm paying attention to the things around me rather than this little mind-sucker electronic thing has benefited me in many other ways.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I got rid of my smart phone. It was taking away from my enjoyment of nearly everything. I was not "in the moment" on anything anymore. It was taking away from the thrill of the hunt for me, and wasting time to boot. I do miss it sometimes, but the fact that I'm paying attention to the things around me rather than this little mind-sucker electronic thing has benefited me in many other ways.

Good for you,you broke the addiction to the best surveillance item ever invented.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic picker fail! Friggin amateur and a dweeb. Example of a legitimate reason to pull out your web device at a thrift store... I was looking for a match to an obscure vintage shirt I found (bought). Still haven't found another one like it. It's a "John Barleycorn Must Die" shirt, only it is not a tee shirt , the label dates it to the era of the song by Traffic. Probably not worth too much but it was half price from $2.99, so a no brainer.

Memories! O my gosh!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
An idiot,in the time it takes him to look up one item i would of already cruised through 2 or 3 isles:laughing7:

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Hmmm. Is this treasure net or a Haters Club?? Opinions? Yea, sure. But this is vile. Some of you are showing your ignorance and that makes me sad. :(

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Its called opinions,and its vile for you to think that nobody has the right to state theirs.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm. Is this treasure net or a Haters Club?? Opinions? Yea, sure. But this is vile. Some of you are showing your ignorance and that makes me sad. :(
Vile? I wouldn't go that far, there's nothing repulsive here. I think "objectionable" or "unpleasant" may be a better fit. Besides, he deserves no respect for his modus operandi anyway. His methods are comparable to a newbie detectorist leaving gopher holes at the local park.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not suprised at all to see people doing this, but I am very suprised that store managment allows it. I use a smart phone to check items from time to time, but only in the car after leaving the store. If it's worth going back in for, I will. Usually it's not.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was buying storage lockers from 1999 till yep one year after storage wars hit the air. I could pick an auction hit it and the same 10/12 guys were there. The tv show destroyed the business with newbies coming out of the woodwork. After the show came on a typical auction would have 80 plus folks. No matter what I paid for a room before the show. A typical 150.00 room cost 600.00. Everybody was going to start a business and get rich. Trying to explain to a newbie on how many rooms I lost on. Or how many rooms I had to load someone's else trash to the dump just fell on deaf ears. People lost loads of money getting bid up and rooms dropped on them.

OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's BAAAAACK!

Same guy, same laptop, at an estate sale I was at yesterday. Standing over the dish sets with the laptop. Went outside a few times to get better reception, too!

SMH. Meanwhile, snagged a bunch of Danish Modern stuff while he was trying to figure out eBay.

OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No photo?

I just saw him today at a Goodwill. If I took a picture each time I saw him, I'd have to get a new memory card and think deeply about the moral implications of documenting this guy's life.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I just saw him today at a Goodwill. If I took a picture each time I saw him, I'd have to get a new memory card and think deeply about the moral implications of documenting this guy's life.

I dont know whats worse... This guy wasting his time "picking the wrong way" or the fact that you are now stalking him like a creeper.

Edit: This was meant as a joke. :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread