Value Village. The worst price tags on the planet.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
These things are always a pain to get off, they never come off in one piece and the glue is very strong. Had to take off 6 of these off wooden handles and it took about 15 min. But I did get a great deal on some NOS gouge chisels with just very very light surface rust that will clean up nice.And after using my $10 voucher they gave out a few months back, it was worth it.

Attachments

• 20140730_190824.jpeg
    20140730_190824.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 246
  • 20140730_191101.jpeg
    20140730_191101.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 193

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unique TS is using them too. I spoke with the store manager to at least not use them on record album covers. Did they even care? NO!

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Unique TS is using them too. I spoke with the store manager to at least not use them on record album covers. Did they even care? NO!
Yea that's bad, same here also. The red white and blue near me uses clear packing tape on everything. A few weeks back I saw the tape on a great globe, they used it to secure the globe to the stand, peeled a little off and California came with it. What a shame. And if you into board games the tape makes them worthless there.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, it's sad that they have to use the extra sticky tear apart leave evidence price stickers.

Too much shoplifting and fraud- just one little thing to help combat it.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The reason that they use that kind of sticker is to help prevent tag switching by dishonest people.

Retail stores are protected with the use of a bar code, but the thrift store is a different story. A cheap removable sticker could easily be peeled off a 29 cent fork, and applied to a $29 wall hanging.

A hair dryer will help soften the adhesive. Warm it up, and then peel with ease.

Use Zippo lighter fluid to remove the remaining adhesive. Put some lighter fluid on a rag, and apply it to the adhesive. Finger nail polish remover also works well, but I like the ease of the Zippo lighter fluid.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Nice buy. While I hate those stickies - I hate it when they place the sticker right on a main part of the item!

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked as truck driver for a time with American Council of the Blind and they did not use stickers at all. Instead, they used a marker that would wipe off pretty easily and they used a pricing system that would let them know if someone changed the price.

Huntr1

Oct 26, 2005
Mechanicsville, MD

Unique TS & Value Village TS is the same company. By me there is a "double" store. Value Village on 1 side of the entry area and Unique on the other side.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those type stickers are a *****. It stinks when the put them on paper items. I take hand sanitizer and smear it over just the top of the sticker only. It then soaks into the glue after a couple of applications and loosens the glue and then I can generally peel off the sticker. The glue left becomes gummy and I can lightly rub it off with my finger or thumb and wipe it quickly with a very lite amount of hand sanitizer and paper towel. They can sure jack-up an album cover if you just try to peel it off, but I gotten those stickers off original boxed items with my process with out damage to the slick shinny surface. I would use a hair blow dryer on some, but the kind you have here only get worse with that method.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I have found goo gone works great for sticky residue. I have a small supply from picking up bottles at estate sales. Some estate companies use those types of sticker/tape on their stuff which is idiotic. Oh well, they are paranoid about theft too.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny you mention this. Today while I was in GW, a guy came back in and said, You ruined the ball by putting a sticker on it. It was a little Disney football. I guess the plastic was going to come off.
I never realized that they do it to prevent shop lifting. Mine only puts a million little stickers that say the same price all over it.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
My VV uses an indelible black marker on everything (except clothing) that is impossible to remove.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions